S&W AR

Hawg

I picked up a S&W M&P 15 Sport II. It's an entry level AR but the reviews are really good on it. I don't care for the AR platform or the .556/.223 round but with the things going on these days and the left trying hard to ban them I thought it was prudent I had one. The one I picked out had a red dot and when I asked about extra mags he said unless you just want the red dot for 20.00 more I can sell you the same rifle with iron sights, 4 extra 30 round mags, soft case and 5 boxes of ammo. I couldn't turn that down.

wPmJubpl.jpg

jw9fDzHl.jpg

DYIKx2Cl.jpg

jmhyer

My first AR15 was the original M&P15 Sport and it has been great. My son took his first 2 deer with it using Hornady American Whitetail 60 gr soft point ammo. Mine also likes Federal Fusion 62 gr. Both are great hunting rounds but I also have a sufficient quantity of both to use for self/home defense. Congratulations! Great choice!

imashooter

I don't care for the AR platform or the .556/.223 round but with the things going on these days and the left trying hard to ban them I thought it was prudent I had one.

You pretty much express / imply your disdain for both the weapon and caliber. Why prudent?

Hawg

I don't like somebody telling me I can't have something and the way things are going the extra firepower may come in handy, even if it is .223. Before I got this my only high capacity center fire rifle was an M1 carbine with two 30 round mags.

Tallest

I can understand that. My own dive into the world ARs began similarly. It rankled more than a little that folks, who clearly new less than I did about something I wasn't even interested in, wanted to tell me I couldn't have it.

But now that I have one or two, they're my go-to for more than just the defense application. Kinda wish VA allowed .223 for deer hunting.

I was always a die-hard bolt gun man. It's hard to argue with the simplicity and precision of a bolt action. But there's a lot to be said for the modularity (is that a word?) of the AR. Coyote hunting is way easier with rails everywhere to add lights and night optics that you don't always use. Bi-pod placement and take-down are a cinch. But I think my hands-down no going back point is a pistol grip. I just feel a LOT more control with it, especially with any sort of rapid fire.

But! That's all just my two cents. YMMV

GarandTd

I wasn't always interested in the AR platform, but once I turned that corner, there was no going back. It's now one of my favorites. I have a kit gun from Palmetto State Armory. Given the current environment, I'm glad I got it when I did. I've never heard anything negative about the M&P15. I'm sure it will serve you well.

scoobysnacker

You pretty much express / imply your disdain for both the weapon and caliber. Why prudent?
I'm kinda in the same boat; I'm more of a handgun and vintage C&R rifle guy. Before the world came unhinged, I didn't feel the need for an AR 15, and I still admit not being into all that tactical stuff that seems to be the rage in accessorizing them.

But with things being crazy, a basic lightweight high-capacity rifle in a commonly found caliber, with decent accuracy, isn't a bad idea. And like the other guy mentioned, I'm really not a fan of being told I can't buy something, so I decided I'd get one before everything goes haywire.

robert1804

I resisted AR's for a long time. Bought a Daniel Defense DDM4V7 Pro about a year ago and liked it a lot. Decided to try a Ruger AR carbine length 300 Blk just about two weeks before the recent craziness started. There was going to be a three week delay from NICS so I had time to add an M&P 15 Sport II while they were still cheap and available. I got the optics ready one.

Picked up both guns together. The Ruger functioned fine and is pretty accurate. I really bought the M&P 15 as a range toy and to control the rising round count on the Daniel Defense. Turns out that M&P has impressive fit and finish, surprisingly good trigger, accurate (3/4 to 1 MOA) and 100% reliable function. I am amazed what a great rifle it is. That it was not expensive just adds to how impressed I am with it. I liked it so well I bought an M&P 10 in 6.5 cm. But that's another (good) story.

ms6852

I bought the same one you did a few years ago but mine was California compliant because at the time I was going to drive my RV to the national parks out there, than they changed the law. But mine has been flawless and I mounted the Vortex Prism 3X Spitfire on it makes a great combo.

Congratulations on your purchase.

zoo

Before I got this my only high capacity center fire rifle was an M1 carbine with two 30 round mags.

Then you did yourself a favor by picking up the AR in 5.56.

Now also go get yourself an upper in something bigger too.

Hawg

Can be as simple as ordering a new upper.

Yeah, it can be but I'm on a fixed income. My wife got an unexpected check from SS and she bought the rifle for me. I'll be doing good from this point on to buy a little ammo now and then. I did get a red dot for it and have a set of high scope rings and mounts coming but I'm pretty sure that will be the extent of mods unless I sell something.

stagpanther

Used to be popular to walk around with your nose turned up at AR's, sorta like Poupon mustard vs the plain old yellow stuff. "excuse me--avez vous une bolt gun?" It has some quirks--but it's still one of the best rifles ever designed.:D

Hawg

Used to be popular to walk around with your nose turned up at AR's, sorta like Poupon mustard vs the plain old yellow stuff. "excuse me--avez vous une bolt gun?" It has some quirks--but it's still one of the best rifles ever designed.

It's growing on me.:D I still have to get everything sighted in but it should have all the bases covered. The UTG QD scope mounts are strong but a little overkill. I do wish they were a little taller but they will work just fine. I also wish the red dot had a QD mount but it only takes a minute to swap out with a Torx bit.

L00ev9bl.jpg

tTcYNaql.jpg

stagpanther

Your reddot mount might have it's height adjusted to cowitness with a front barrel site post. I used to hate the old plain Jane front posts barrels and glacier guards and went along with the herd and followed the "must free-float zombie mantra."

But then I finally took a couple of AR's I have with them and decided to run them exclusively that way, and much to my surprise they are capable of sub-MOA--in fact capable of almost a 1-holer-- at 100 if I did my part--which does take some learning. With front and rear irons up full time co-witnessed with the red dot I can continue firing without pausing to frig with gear if the reddot goes down. Won't be near bench target accuracy, but certainly within tango down accuracy.

Does anyone know anyone who actually switched to the BUIS mounted as back up to a scope when out shooting or hunting? :D I used to mount them but then ditched them altogether on a scoped AR.

You might want to see if you can scooch your scope forward a bit to clear the charging handle better (you'll need a cantilevered mount or ring).

Last edited:

Tallest

Does anyone know anyone who actually switched to the BUIS mounted as back up to a scope when out shooting or hunting? :D I used to mount them but then ditched them altogether on a scoped AR.

You might want to see if you can scooch your scope forward a bit to clear the charging handle better (you'll need a cantilevered mount or ring).

On the AR I hunt coyotes with, I have 45 degree offset backups for really close shots (a rare occurrence, but they have accounted for three I wouldn't have been fast enough for otherwise). I never understood how you were supposed to get the scope out of the way if it failed in a pinch, so offset backups make the most sense to me.

Double K

Congratulations on getting a Smith, I would not consider that an entry level gun, it's a great value and is a well made accurate rifle. My wife bought one when the model 2 came out and it's without flaws and groups just over moa with nearly any ammunition.
As a young man in my 20's I read an article by Ken Waters back in the late 80's where he tested two 223's, a 700 varmint and a Colt H-bar the latter intended for high-power competition. The H-bar grouped as good as most of the bolt gun groups which amazed me. About that same time I was having a bolt gun rebarreled at Mark Chanlynn's shop in Boulder and met Dave Sullivan who was making a Colt H-Bar into a prairie dog gun which was totally unheard of then.
He milled the carry handle off and put a Weaver base made for a Marlin 336 on top, free floated the forearm and worked the trigger down to a semi-crisp 2lbs.
I immediately started saving money for a H-bar and had a finished gun about a year later, the gun was a remarkable success for pd's and coyote hunting. Just a few years later Colt came out with the flattop which seemed to trigger the avalanche of AR-15 popularity.
In the 80's it was controversial to own any black gun, I still prefer bolt guns but can't imagine not having a couple of Ar's in the safe. I've probably had a dozen of them over the years including a 7.62x39 colt carbine which I wish I had back.

7.62 man

I bought one years ago, it was my first AR. It was in 5.45x39 caliber because it was during the rush for ammo before Obama took over. The .223/5.56 was selling for over 60 cents per round if you could find it that is why I got it in the 5.45, it was cheap then.
The only problem I had with it was the hard primers didn't want to fire all the time but I have recently found the problem & fixed it with a enhanced firing pin.