S&W 5906 - Best 9mm Ever Made?

dgludwig

I don't know if it's the very best (the SIG 210 and the Smith 952 come to mind) but the Model 5906 is certainly one of the best 9mm pistols ever made in my experience.

RC20

There are some really good 9 mms out there. "Best ever made" is is a pretty bold statement. I'm sure any number of other makers would have issues with it.

Bugger the mfgs, I have a problem with the statement.

Best 9mm ever made is the one you like the best (my definition of what I like is one that's 100% reliable)

My Sig SP2022 has been flawless in function, that's the best 9mm ever made!

On the other hand the HK P30 has the best grip ever made.

Now if I could combine the two.......

johnbt

Now we're judging guns based on feelings and not on function? If somebody says their favorite 9mm is a Jennings you'd agree?

carguychris

The 5906 was not introduced until 1989. You are mixing you generations.
+1, a late 70s S&W double-stack pistol would have been a Model 59, a 1st-gen TDA pistol. As I referenced in my earlier post, these pistols have some well-known flaws. They had a poorly-designed two-piece barrel bushing that gradually comes apart with extended use, and some individual pistols had trouble feeding certain types of JHP ammo reliably. Also, there's no ambi safety, there's no positive firing-pin block when the decocker/safety is disengaged, the grip has the ergonomics of a 2x4, the sights have sharp edges that tend to snag clothing, and the finish can't withstand long-term holstering.

Used prices reflect this; unless a M59 is in truly LNIB collector-grade condition, it's generally one of the cheapest 9mm pistols you can buy.

These flaws were all fixed when the M5906 came out, but I think many users had already written off S&W pistols, which was unfortunate.

RC20

Now we're judging guns based on feelings and not on function? If somebody says their favorite 9mm is a Jennings you'd agree?

The full quote is that is defined by the one that functions flawlessly.

If its not as near to 100% flawless function as possible then its a piece of interesting junk. (I will allow a bad cartridge to be the cause, but it better be so bad it function in no gun) .

The rest is how it suits you. If I could not find a hammer fired that function 100% I would buy a Glock.

johnbt

That part didn't get the big +1.

If the 5906 didn't have a slide mounted safety and weigh 3 ounces more than an all-steel CZ-75B I might like it a little more. And the CZ's barrel is 0.7" longer than the 4" barrel on the Smith. As it is, I have trouble getting the 5906 up near my top 10. I can see why some folks like them though.

John

Last edited:

Laserlips

JMOfartO:

Is the S&W 5906 the "best" 9MM ever made?

I seriously doubt it.

But ~ it's good enough to be my choice for that "bump in the night" noise we are all so paranoid about..

100_9862.jpg

My "Job 1" for a firearm used for self defense is RELIABILITY... The only person I've ever voice a complaint that his 5906 was unreliable is forum member "bege", and bless his heart HIS 5906 was unusual in that he owned one a decade before they were manufactured for the rest of us..

(Just kiddin' bege, no offense)..

Or, ALL 3rd Gen Smiths have a reputation for absolute reliability... I can't say "all", but I can say from personal experience MY 5906/6906/3913/3913LS/CS9/CS45 (if the last two are considered 3rd Gens) have all been 100% reliable.

The 5906 is relatively large and heavy, but it's accurate and reliable... Add a Crimson Trace Lasergrip and it becomes very, very accurate..

The Smith I carry concealed when I want a larger cc weapon than my LWS380, or LCP is the CS45... Not too heavy, pretty concealable, and offers the nice "flying ashtray" round designed to stop drug-crazed Moro natives in the Philippines during WW2.

Don't expect any drug crazed Moro natives will come a callin' here in S.E. Ga. but the plain old "drug crazed" common stock variety are in abundant supply.

100_0030.jpg

Of all of my 3rd Gen Smiths, it seems the 3913LS is a favorite with lots of folks who comment on such things on the various firearm forums.

100_9811.jpg

The 3913LS is very thin and easy to conceal, but IF I were going to carry one of my 3rd Gen Smiths for cc it would be the little brother to the 5906, the 6906..

I use the 15rd mags from the 5906 (w/S&W mag adapter), and I get high capacity, but still in a reasonably easy to conceal compact 9MM pistol.. (photo shows 6906 w/standard fingertip mag).

All to say I love all 3rd Gen Smith pistols... So far, never had one so much as "burp"... All reliable, all accurate... All the time..

Can't speak for everyone who has had the opportunity to own or shoot a 3rd Gen Smith pistol in general, or the 5906 in particular, but I can say finding someone with bad things to say about them takes a little doin'..

No offense to anyone. If you disagree with my opinions you could be right, but I don't care either way. (I'm old and opinionated anyway)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

100_9825.jpg

skimann2000

S&W 5906

I own the 5906 with square trigger guard. It has always been reliable and accurate since the rear sights on mine are adjustable it needed only a little adjustment for my style. I douibt I will ever get rid of it and if it ever needs parts it will go back to S&W for performance tune up.

graysmoke

I just purchased a pre-oened 5906 with rounded trigger guard with stainless hammer & trigger....Took it to the outdoor range today, fired Federal hydra shok and tried the Gold Dot through it....Fantastic!....But, I prefer my Beretta 92fs.

Fishbed77

I have read in different Gun Magazines, and told by experienced Gunsmiths that the Smith & Wesson model 5906 is the Best 9mm Handgun ever made.

It's certainly a decent gun, but far from the best ever. A number of better 9mms instantly spring to mind...

-Walther P88 (Now this might really be the best 9mm ever made.)
-Sig P210
-Walther P99
-CZ75
-H&K P7

Winchester_73

The best is subjective

The best 9mm ever made?

It has to be a gun in this photo!

9mms2.jpg

Or maybe this one? The 3913

GEDC0018.jpg

I actually have mad respect for this 9mm design (it is great, believe it or not) Glock 19

IMAGE_00044.jpg

hAkron

I'm not much into S&W semi autos, but I've shot a couple of M&Ps which didn't do much for me personally, but I understand the appeal. I have a friend who purchased an S&W 669 as new in box a few months ago at a gun show. We've both tried very hard to like this gun. I appreciate the classic S&W auto looks and all, but the gun just feels in my hand like a square peg in a round hole. I'm not sure how it compares to the 5906, but I would much prefer a CZ, a Glock, or a Sig in my hand.

Laserlips

hAkron:

Respectfully, you need to actually hold and if possible fire a 3rd Gen Smith before you form too much of a negative opinion about it.

Never had a CZ, but have had a Glock and Sig, and I like the "feel" or grip "ergonomics" of the 6906 better than either. Of course that is just a personal preference.

I think of the entire line of 3rd Gen Smiths as sort of the "Model A's" of their types. I have found, without fail, the 3rd Gen Smith I have owned are absolutely RELIABLE. No if's, and's or but's, just dead reliable.

Reliability is always job ONE for any firearm I expect to use for self defense, and in that regard I've yet to find a pistol any more reliable.

I have found my 3rd Gen Smiths to be slightly less accurate for me than my Sig P239 was, or my Walther P99c/AS, or HK P2000sk. Then I got smart and compared the sizes of the white dot sights (the actual dots) on all 4 and "surprise" the white dots on the excellent Novak sights of the 3rd Gen Smiths were smaller than the white dots on the other three.

Duh?

So, I believe had the white dots on the sights been of equal size, I'm guessing the accuracy of the Smith would be right there in the mix.

For self defense accuracy at say, 7 yards or less, the difference in the size of the groups each pistol was capable of shooting was minimal.

What I also like in particular about the 6906 is that you can use the 15 rd. mags from the 5906 (using the S&W mag adapter) and you get greater capacity, losing nothing in the process. The mag adapter allowing for use of the larger capacity 5906 actually makes for a better "grip" than that of the fingertip mag of the standard 10rd'er.

I believe a person's preference in firearms is just like that of a person' preference in ice cream flavors. You just "like what you like", period.

I'm not saying the 3rd Gen Smith 6906 is the best 9MM pistol in the world, but I will say it's very, very good.

Just personal opinion,

No offense to those who might disagree. :)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. In the two photos below, the first is the 6906 using the standard 10rd fingertip mag. The 2nd shows the same 6906 using the 15rd mag of the 5906, (w/S&W mag adapter). If you examine them closely you'll see nothing is lost in using the larger capacity mag, and the extra 5 rounds are always a neat thing to have available in a weapon used for cc and self defense.

100_9940.jpg

100_9936_01.jpg

jtb1967

I have read in different Gun Magazines, and told by experienced Gunsmiths that the Smith & Wesson model 5906 is the Best 9mm Handgun ever made.

Great gun, but "best 9mm handgun ever" is probably a load of crap. How does anyone determine the "best ever"?

Laserlips

jtb1967:

Hey, good year. My first new car was a 1967 Firebird 326HO. :D

As to the "experts" saying the S&W 5906 (or even 6906) being the best 9MM pistol ever made?

I'd respectfully have to disagree.

I've had an HK P7, which some "experts" consider as "the best" (or certainly "one of the best) 9MM pistols ever made..

I liked my 5906 & 6906 better than the excellent HK P7, but I'm sure HK P7 lovers would disagree.

With the continuing evolution of 9MM pistols I'd say anyone who "thinks" he/she has the "best" 9MM pistol ever made might want to reconsider, NO MATTER what particular pistol they might own.

I like to think there are many "very good" 9's, and I think I've owned a few of them at one time or another. (S&W 3913, 3913LS,5906,6906,CS9,Glock26,Sig P239, Star BM, P1, P5, P99 & P99c Walthers, P7 & P2000sk in H&K, and more recently, the Ruger LC9.)

Each of them had some attributes that I believe made them special, but I wouldn't say one or the other was "the best of the best"....

I'm on the list for a Boberg XR9S, which is "touted" as a very good 9MM pistol, so I don't know how good it might wind up being, but I doubt seriously it'll do much to top my Ruger LC9 at less than half the price..

It's all about personal preference anyway. I'd say whatever 9MM pistol YOU OWN that does the job for you, IS the best 9mm pistol ever made. (for you). :)

Always new choices hitting the market, never can tell when the "real" best 9MM pistol ever made will actually "be" made. :D

And even then, someone won't like it.

Just human nature.

Best Wishes,

P.S. The 5906 must be "pretty darn good" tho, it's my "bump in the night" nightstand choice..

Jesse

100_9862.jpg

100_1981.jpg

Last edited:

10mm4ever

I rate the 5906 right at the very top with the likes of the Beretta 92FS, w.german SIG 226 and CZ75. The discontinuation of the S&W 3rd gen line had nothing to do with performance or quality, I can assure you. The profit margins are WAY higher with plastic/stamped metal frame pistols and that's the only reason for the demise. Whether or not it's the 'best' is purely subjective, but it's in damn good company!