s&w 500 magnum

Model12Win

They're an incredible, almost orgasmic joy to shoot. The sheer power, the masculinity, the pulsing testosterone... for the first few shoots.

After that, at least for me, I'd rather have one of my .38's in hand. I don't know if that makes me a weak nancy boy, but I really don't give a care. :)

T_PRO_Z

well I have purchase 40 rounds of ammo and a casting die for mine and I doubt I will go through that in a year, mostly the day I get it. the rest will be for hunting ( or when one of my buddies come in). I still have not received a shipping lable because it is still in processing :(

deerslayer303

What is the difference in .480 Ruger, 460 S&W?, and .454 Casull? I'm guessing if you have a Revolver chambered in 480 Ruger you can shoot that, 460, 454, 45 Colt? And so on down the line?

TimSr

What is the difference in .480 Ruger, 460 S&W?, and .454 Casull? I'm guessing if you have a Revolver chambered in 480 Ruger you can shoot that, 460, 454, 45 Colt? And so on down the line?

460,454, 45LC are the same caliber, different length.

480 is a different caliber, and not a member of that family.

deerslayer303

Got it, thank you. Just wasn't sure if there was some competitive cartridges going on there. Remeniscent of the Colt and S&W race of days gone. Seems to me that the 460 would fit nicely in the slayer stable. Oh lordy listen to me!

buck460XVR

Got hands like an orangutan? Big SOB's, so they are.

The grip size of the S&W X-Frames is the same as what is on their K and L frame, smaller than the grip size of their N-Frames. One does not need Orangutan hands. My youngest son has shot my X-Frame since he was 11 years old and weighed 85 lbs soakin' wet. My daughter in law loves to shoot my .460 and she is a petite lil' thing.

any information about round count and durability in general will be helpful.

As for durability of the X-Frames, if you buy one new, it's guaranteed for and will be fixed free of charge for as long as you live. Good luck wearin' one out.

T_PRO_Z

I doubt I will be able to afford to wear it out haha. I got it on Saturday and put right at 30 rounds through it within 2 hours just seeing the distance and accuracy. with my shooting, I got about 2.5 moa at 100 yards off-handed with 400 grain magtech rounds. I was shooting in groups of 5 and the gun is very consistent. I also wadded up a bunch of clay that weighed about 15 lbs and shot it lol. I loved that hole it made and how cute it was in the front until I touched it to roll it over and look at the back and it collapsed. it never really hurt my wrist at all, just left the palm of my hand a little red from the purchase I had to have on the grip from the 700 grain underwood ammo.

45_auto

I got about 2.5 moa at 100 yards off-handed with 400 grain magtech rounds.

That is some AWESOME shooting with a pistol! Have you ever considered shooting rifle competitions? The 100 yard NRA National Match High Power Rifle target (SR-1) used for offhand shooting at 100 yards has a 10 ring of 3.35 MOA, you should easily be able to shoot a perfect score every time.

T_PRO_Z

I have competed in two 3-gun matches, but I don't like going and standing all day to shoot when I could do it at the house :D. if I can figure out how to post pictures, I will show off the pistol and the target.

on another note, how can I get the powder residue of the fron of the cylinder? I own several revolvers, but they are more of a collection that I don't shoot, or blued. the s&w 500 is brushed stainless and the cylinder is pretty noticeable from the front lol. Any advise??

T_PRO_Z

when I try to upload the pictures, it says the my file size is too large. I am not sure how to resize it.

but I highly recommend the 500 !

darkgael

Late post

Just saw this thread.
I do not own a 500 S&W revolver....I do own a 15" Encore pistol barrel in that chambering. I bought it as a test barrel when I as loading ammo for a friend who was fond of the big revolvers.
Recoil junky? I should say so. A free recoil program over at handloads.com tells me that the 700 grain "Tyrannosaur Thumper" that was cast and sold by Rick Gibson up in Homer, AK had as much free recoil as 416 Rigby.
(700 gr. Bullet at 1200 fps. 27 grains of propellant. 4.5 pound gun)
63 ft.lbs of free recoil and the gun comes back at you at 30 ft./sec.

I shot them. In the Encore set up, they hurt from shot one.

buck460XVR

on another note, how can I get the powder residue of the fron of the cylinder?

Just don't look at it. Next time out, one cylinder full downrange and it will look the same. Doesn't affect anything functionally, ain't worth the hassle of getting it off. The beauty of the X-frames is their power and accuracy. They tend to get a little dirty doing that.