s&w 500 magnum

45_auto

DaleA said:
3. The on going expense of hiring a young lad or laddette to carry the thing around for me. ("Oh gun lackey! My .500 please, the rhino seems to be charging!)

Kidding aside I'm more than a little envious but I'd prefer the big X-frame in .460 for the versatility.

The 460 is definitely more versatile and cheaper to shoot. My 12 year old "laddette" (granddaughter) won't touch the 500 but loves shooting my 460 with 45 Colt's in it, recoil is about like a .22, although she needs a tripod to hold it up!

Attachments

• Caidy460.jpg
    Caidy460.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 45

TMD

If you reload the .460 actually can achieve higher velocities and muzzle energy than the .500 up to about 350gn bullets. Heavier than that and the .500 is king.

g.willikers

In another life time, collecting big boomer handguns would definitely be on my bucket list.
But not this time around, the bucket is happily full. :)

Chaz88

I looked hard at the .500 and the .460. Ended up going with the .460 for the versatility in ammunition, velocity, and a bit flatter shooting.

T_PRO_Z

the thing that got me on the fast track to wanting a 500 s&w is the search to find a pistol that matches my lust for recoil. it still isn't in but I bought 2 boxes of 20 ammo for 87$ which I probably wont go through that a year so the price isn't that bad.

when I go out to shoot I usually take the good ole wasr10 or norinco sks. I have an ar (s&w m&p 15 psx) but I much prefer the ak or sks for shooting large quantities of ammo at a time. I also looked at the .460 but saw the 500 and the price and had to get it lol. I look forward to shooting and maybe ven hunting with it.

T_PRO_Z

Darn sure not ammo

yeah haha. im going to invest in some reloading equipment for this pistol. I watched a youtube video of some 700gr underwood ammo and it sparked an intrest.

who needs wrists anyway right?:D

Erno86

A fellow shooter at our range let me shoot his S&W 500 --- I fired it once --- And that was enough for me, even though I own a Super Redhawk 454/45 Colt; which is about the limit of my recoil threshold.

Get padded recoil gloves, and limit shooting sessions to 20 rounds or less with the big gun.

DaleA

the search to find a pistol that matches my lust for recoil.

I "think" as a recoil junkie you want the big 'push me back' recoil. (The S&W .500 should give you that...if it doesn't I don't know what will...)

But for sheer unpleasantness the Ruger LCR .357 magnum shooting just your average 158 grain .357 magnum rounds is a top contender in my book. It isn't a 'big' recoil, it's a sharp recoil, like a firecracker going off in your hand. I admitted after trying one I'm just not going to shoot it if I'm ever offered the chance again. 125 grain .357 magnum rounds is my limit in that little guy and I'll shoot very few of those during a range session.

22-rimfire

Some of the small framed 357's are uncommonly uncomfortable to shoot. My shooting revolves around 22LR with some 41 mag tossed in. Sometimes I'll take out a 480 Ruger, but if you don't shoot something often, you loose any gains you made in the past in terms of accuracy and pretty much have to start over.

peggysue

My 4" is a good puch back when it shoots. Make sure to wear plugs and a clam. They are loud.

Pic of mine with a 700gr bullet that I bought before they recommended agains using it in the 4". I never did, there was a you tube on it.

694991d1401064179t-glimpse-my-little-collection-m-500.jpg

Last edited:

TimSr

A guy brought one to my friends back yard range. After shooting few rounds, he handed it to me, and I handed him my Freedom Arms 454 Casull. After emptying each other's guns, we both agreed that there wasn't any noticeable difference in recoil in these two guns with full power load. Of course, I'm constantly reminded that the gun the round is fired in is a bigger factor than the round itself.

T_PRO_Z

I ordered some spire bullet casts at a local gun store, no I only have to wait on the gun to be shipped to my local ffl dealer. I wanted the 4 inch barrel but I though about it and figured I would use it for hunting to justify the cost of the pistol and gear I have purchased for it.

it is still in the processing stage at brownings. this being the first firearm I have ordered from buds, I do not know when it will ship. I assume they will send me a tracking number when it ships but I am getting anxious waiting for it lol

ATCDoktor

I had a little work done to my two M500's.

The 4" went to Robar back in 2007 for a "Two Tone" makeover ( cylinder conpensator and sideplate screws Np3'd frame in black Rogaurd) and my 8 3/8" went back to S&W for an unfluted cylinder in 2008 and again last Xmas to have a 6.5" barrel installed.

Jbar4Ranch

I was in North 40 in Omak, WA a couple days ago, and they had a NIB 8 3/8" .500 S&W with the fixed brake on closeout for $850.
I killed a cow elk with one of these a few years ago using a 350 grain cast bullet and a mid-range load of Unique. :)

My 1st shot with 700 grain handloads in my 4"er. :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmtUFrFBc4

ruggyh

Here a couple of mine

They are not for everyone- but if you like big stuff then they are the ticket.

P1030739_zpsa310d0ad.jpg

xanth

Have a 500ES, one of the ones with the 2.5" barrel.

I've put a few rounds through it, have let a lot of friends put rounds through it, most people only do 1-2 rounds then they're done. It's a beast.

msokad

I purchased my 8 3/8 500 back in 2013. I'll admit I was a little hesitant shooting it the first time. The first few times I shot it I only loaded one bullet at a time to get used to the recoil. If you don't reload now, you might start to feed this bad boy.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1459114959846.jpg
    FB_IMG_1459114959846.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 31