s&w 500 magnum

T_PRO_Z

Good morning all, I have 1200 dollars to spend on a pistol. I am thinking about getting the s&w 500 but I do not know much about them and their durability.

any information about round count and durability in general will be helpful. thank you in advance.:)

g.willikers

It's doubtful to be a problem.
It will probably hold up better than the shooter.
Especially since it isn't likely to be a high round plinker.
This caliber in a lever action rifle sounds more attractive, though.

peggysue

Do a google search on the 500. Lots of videos and information out there to help you mage a decision. I have a 4" M500 and it is a blast to shoot. only a $1050 at Buds for 8"

T_PRO_Z

I definitely want the 500. I just don't know much about them. I would like an 8" stainless and I would be willing to spend 1500 on a very good model of the 500.

how many shots have you all fired through the 500? any problems?

45_auto

They are great fun to shoot for enthusiastic shooters, mine has a 6.5" barrel. Casual shooters will usually be very intimidated by the recoil of full-power loads, they will try it once at the most after watching someone else shoot it.

Ammo is EXTREMELY expensive if you don't reload. I quit casting bullets almost 20 years ago, but I bought a 440 grain Lee mold and dug out the old casting equipment just to feed the 500.

Mine has at least a thousand rounds of full-power loads and a couple of thousand rounds of reduced-power loads through it over the last couple of years. I bought it used, have no idea of what went through it before I got it.

Last edited:

Ruger45LC

I can close to buying a S&W 500 but didn't because of people reporting the occasional double fire. I did pick up a BFR 500 and with some 525gr handloads man that thing will really question your sanity for shooting such a thing.

DaleA

I came close to buying a S&W 500 but didn't because of people reporting the occasional double fire.

I had not heard of this. Could you provide some details about this problem?

Thanks.

ATCDoktor

I came close to buying a S&W 500 but didn't because of people reporting the occasional double fire.
I had not heard of this. Could you provide some details about this problem.

It is entirely shooter error.

Essentially what happens during this issue is an inexperienced shooter ends up pulling the trigger twice, once upon initial firing and again during the recoil impulse (double action).

I have had 2 S&W M500's since they were introduced (2003) and have fired several thousand rounds through each of them and have never had an issue with either of them.

T_PRO_Z

this is probably a dumb question but..... what is a double fire? I have owned several revolvers and never heard of this problem.

45_auto

A 500 with stout loads and an inexperienced shooter can recoil so hard and quickly that it immediately moves away from from the shooter's squeezing trigger finger under recoil, a which time their squeezing finger pulls the trigger again.

Kind of the same principle as those SlideFire stocks you see for full-auto fire on semi-auto AR15's sometimes.

T. O'Heir

Got hands like an orangutan? Big SOB's, so they are. Over 4 pounds empty with a 7.5" barrel. Performance Center thing too.
$1200 will mean used revolver. Used isn't a horrible thing, but MSRP on a Smith Model S&W500 is $1,579.00. $1,349.99 in Bass Pro. Couple on Gunbroker within your budget though. One of 'em has about 3 hours left.
MSRP on a Magnum Research BFR is $1,184.00. Also a big SOB. Almost 5 pounds empty.
"...what is a double fire..." Operator failure to follow through on the shot. Fires a second shot under recoil from releasing the trigger too soon.
As mentioned, .500 S&W is expensive stuff. Starts at $38.99 per 20 for 330 grain cast ammo. Jacketed runs $60ish per 20. Midway prices.

22-rimfire

Good luck with the 500. Hope you learn to shoot it well. My big boomer is a 480 Ruger. I have shot 500's, and if they were available back when I bought the 480, I probably would have gotten it instead as I prefer S&W. But I'm content and do not lust for a 460 or 500 S&W.

DaleA

Thanks ATCDoktor (and 45 Auto but ATC got there first) for telling me about a 'double fire'.

An S&W 500 would sure be a nice conversation piece...of course I probably wouldn't be able to hear any conversation after a few rounds...the problem I'd have buying it are three fold,
1. The initial cost, which in my situation is a show stopper,
2. The price of ammo, which is considerable but I do reload so maybe...
3. The on going expense of hiring a young lad or laddette to carry the thing around for me. ("Oh gun lackey! My .500 please, the rhino seems to be charging!)

Kidding aside I'm more than a little envious but I'd prefer the big X-frame in .460 for the versatility.

Good luck.