Ruger Scout -- "Road Test"

DPris

Member Emeritus
SS,
Answer back today is that Ruger has tested the platform with "all the .308-based cartridges", and has made some stainless samples.
Current demand for the Scout is exceeding manufacturing capacity, so Ruger will hold off on offering any other variations till they can catch up.

I'm taking that to mean the liklihood of stainless and/or other calibers in the next year or so is high.
Denis

Rob3

Maybe the success of the GSR will encourage other manufacturers to introduce some bold new designs. Gun store shelves have become a sea of boring cookie-cutter bolt guns and AR clones totally devoid of sights, personality, or anything interesting to convince gun nuts that they have to have it. They have all become Toyota Minivans when guys want Jeeps, Pickups, and GTOs.

That's what great about rifles. . everyone has their own opinion. Personally I think the scout is ugly as sin. I respect Ruger so I know it is well made, but what do you do with the thing with a huge hunk of iron hanging out of it? If I want a scout rifle give me an old remington 7 in .308 or one of the older rugers with a short barrel.

Single Six

DPris: Okay. I guess I can wait that long...or, I suppose I could always buy a blued one and send it off to Mr. Mahovsky so he can put his stainless-looking Metalife finish on it. Thanks again for the info. Take care.

WildBill45

I like this rifle, and have handled one at Ruger Days, at a local major gun shop close by. The trigger was good, for a RUGER, and would work well for its intended purpose of all-around-rifle I am sure. If I did not have "ole reliable" my 03/A3, that I have had since I was 14, I would buy the new Ruger Scout.

'Old reliable' has peep sights, now called 'ghost ring sights', is feed with stripper clips, and now sports a synthetic stock. The only downside in this comparison is the longer barrel.

If you loaded the Ruger with Punch Bullets or other well made, heavy solids, it would do in a pinch for bear or other wildlife protection duties ... people only require standard rounds.

I should design a .35 Henry load, aka Whelen, for the .308, put on a new barrel and now we are talking about a protection rifle that is easy to tote!

NWPilgrim

What do you think about the 16" after shooting it? Isn't that a bit short for .308 in terms of muzzle blast and loss of velocity? I would think it is getting down toward .30-30 range or halfway at least.

IIRC, .308 does not lose much velocity per inch shorter until you get below 18"-20", then it drops off more sharply.

What do you think as an owner? Is the trade-off of the 16" barrel worth what you get in other features or handling? Or would it be better with an 18" or 20" barrel? I believe Cooper actually envisioned a longer barrel and shorter stock, but I could be wrong.

warbirdlover

How good are ruger scope rings?

The Ruger rings are EXCELLENT...

If you have to buy them they're $46 EACH. That's $92 for a set. (I just priced them).

The ONLY replacement you should consider is Leupold Ruger 77 rings. I've tried Millett and Redfield and you DON'T want them with screws on both sides. They are impossible to set up right. The Ruger and Leupold only have one clamp on one side and that works good. And Leupolds cost $53 for the pair.

My 2 cents.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Personally, I'd rather have the extra barrel length, rather than the flash hider. In the FWIW department, the .308 was the first computer-aided design, as I understand the deal, and was intended to be close to military-load '06 performance but from an 18" barrel. Odds are that there would still be better performance than a .30-30, even with a 16" barrel.

"Only your chronograph will know." :)

But, my buddy is quite pleased with the performance with his, and that's really all that matters to him--or to me.

amflyer

I have a 18.5 inch 7600 that without too much trouble I worked up an 180 grain bullet load to 2500 fps. This is in 30-06. I think I could probably get another 100 fps if I felt I needed it, but its fine there. That's quite a bit above 30-30 stats, with a better BC. Should be similar in 308 or even better.

TXGunNut

Had the pleasure of handling the Ruger Scout @ Cabelas today. I don't have much use for the concept but this riflle carries it off well and looks good doing it. Bolt feels good, balance is good, fit and finish also good. Just wish I understood it.