Ruger Scout -- "Road Test"

Keg

Different usage concept, Pat T, as pointed out. Plus, it's lighter and handier. It would make a good truck gun, for instance. Plenty good for hunting anything a .308 would take, and the weight makes it better for a walking hunter. The handiness helps in thick brush.

Yes...I think would make a great truck gun.....Very handy....

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The advantage of the forward-mount LER scopes is that they help win the shoot-and-scoot competitions at Gunsite. So, from the standpoint of a sneaky-snake scout (military sense of the term) they're superior to conventional scopes.

Now, given my decades of use of the conventional system, I'd guess that I'm almost as fast in target acquisition, but I'll defer to the field results from competition. :)

Given the price comparison with the Steyr, I'll vote for the Ruger. But I'm still gripy about the mag. :D

FrankenMauser

Guys, I guess I'm just dense. Tell me what this rifle does that an M1A doesn't. Not picking a fight, just don't get it. Thanks, Pat

It does several things the M1A doesn't.
1. It's a bolt gun.
2. It's lighter.
3. Loads can be tuned for the rifle better, since it's not gas-dependent.
4. Detachable magazines.
5. Multiple sighting configurations *.
6. Saves you half the cost of an M1A.

*The rear peep sight on the Gunsite rifle uses a scope ring dovetail for its attachment point. As such, it can be used on the front or rear of the receiver. In addition, a scope can be used on the Picatinny rail, or on the receiver.

It's all about personal preference. I don't like M1As, M1s, ARs, AKs, and many other popular semi-autos. I look at the M1A with the very same question: "What can it do, that my <insert bolt rifle> doesn't?" For me, the only answers to those question are: Faster reload times. Faster rate of fire. Decreased potential accuracy, due to reliance on a gas system.

It's all about personal preference, and intended use.
Most of the reviews I have seen for these rifles did not come from shooters that intend to compete with them. Most of the reviews were simply from people that wanted a detachable magazine bolt rifle, with better reliability than the DBM conversion kits for other rifles (like the Rem 700).

There is a down side to this rifle, though. If you want additional magazines, the 5-round magazine will run you $64 and the 10-round is $70. For 5 spare magazines, you're well over $300.

Pat T

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the info. Many very good points made and I see where you are coming from with this. I have to say unusual looks of the forward mounted scope and long extended mag on what would be the natural balance point to carry one-handed made me look less than favorably on it at first, but you have persuaded me of the advantages. Enjoy it, and thank you again for the kind replies!

DPris

Member Emeritus
One of the reasons for moving the Scout scope forward on a true Scout as Cooper saw it was to allow clearer access for clip loading (from a REAL clip, at the top, not the bottom), the other primary reason was for more comfortable carry at the natural balance point.
A third reason for the scope itself was to provide a single aiming point, rather than two with iron sights.

The Ruger 10-round mag negates one of the prime reasons for the Scout scope's location, and you can't load from the top with a stripper clip.
The Scout scope also loses magnification and field of view for longer shots.
If those are not important selection or use criteria, gopher it. :)
Denis

roashooter

Franken....ya might want to take another look at that peep sight.....it does NOT use the scallop cuts for scope rings to mount the peep sight. It is secured with a set screw via a drilled and tapped hole in the top of the reciever....and you will see it does not mount forward as you suggest.
me thinks you are confusing the ruger peep sight with the NECG peep that does utilize the scope mount scallops.

FrankenMauser

Interesting.

I fondled one at Cabela's about a week ago, and could have sworn the peep sight was attached to the dovetail. But in looking at Ruger's stock photos, you can see their sight does not use the dovetail.

Sorry. My mistake. :eek:

Drue

I'm with Art, the mag is bad. Mauser perfected the double stack mag in 1892 or 1893. If the rifle had a double stack mag, it could have a flush 5 rounder for hunting along with the handling characteristics that define a true scout rifle. If circumstances dictate, a ten (or more) round mag could be used, providing more ammo at the expense of easy handling.

Drue

roashooter

Drue....you sum it up exactly...we can only hope Ruger will..in time make the mods for the double stack/M14 type mags......and seeing how the the GSR is modular....how hard could that be...

Dobe

The Ruger 10-round mag negates one of the prime reasons for the Scout scope's location, and you can't load from the top with a stripper clip.
The best reason for the scope scope's location is for situtation awareness, and quick shots (fast target acquisition).

There is no reason to top off a magazine fed weapon. There is no reason to top of an AR, M1a, Fal, etc. other than toping of the mag itself.

I bought the GSR in part, because it does utilize a detachable mag. I have found the GSR a well thought out rifle. I like it.

Last edited:

DPris

Member Emeritus
People have tended to take the original Scout parameters established by Cooper & his "Scout Commission" who defined them and modify them to their own preferences & reasoning.

Cooper's original reasons for setting up a true Scout, as he saw the gun, had certain features to address certain functions he felt were needed.

A detachable magazine was not an original "need". The Scout was never envisioned as an extended engagement combat weapon. Reloading reasonably quickly was a desirable feature, a detachable mag that could drop out at the wrong moment and/or get separated from the gun & lost was not.

In fact, neither was the scope an absolute requirement. But, if the scope was used, it was forward to allow a natural point-of-balance carry and to leave the top of the receiver clear for clip loading on a Scout WITHOUT a detachable magazine. And thirdly an EER type was used more to provide a single aiming point than for conventional magnification.
A further benefit was "both eyes open", which was beneficial in keeping a broader eye on the scene in front of the rifleman.

No, there is no overriding reason to top off a detachable magazine. But, for those of us who don't like that 10-round in-the-way magazine & won't buy the Ruger because of it, a stripper clip set-up would be nice IN ANOTHER SCOUT version.

For some of us, what you find a benefit is a deal killer.

I owned an original Savage Scout & tested their revised Scout. Both good guns, I thought. But, those removable mags were 50% of the reason why I finally sold the one I'd bought.

If you like the new Ruger, enjoy it.
For me, ten rounds gets in the way & five rounds doesn't justify a detachable.
For others, the Ruger Scout is viable. It IS an interesting gun & I'm glad to see Ruger working beyond the box in bringing it out, and no maker can please everybody.

This thread's got me interested enough in the Compact Magnum in .308 to give that one a try. Little bit longer, but a 20-inch barrel with sights has some appeal, and four more inches of velocity. Standard bottom metal, and I can live without the flash suppressor. :)
Denis

Dobe

I look at it more as an evolution of firearms. People will like it or not. Therefore, it will be successful or not based upon this.

The current AR is not what Stoner had designed. It has evolved, and I believe to the better. The 1911 has taken on some very different shapes and configuration, and when done properly, it's still a 1911 and performs well.
Even the newer M14s(M1as) are dressed a little differently these days, and an evolution from the M1 Garand.

The scout concept to me simply means a short, handy, quick, multi purpose centerfire rifle. I like the magazine concept, because to me, it extends the usefulness. I have no problem carrying my GSR. With the scout scope and mag, it balances well.

The flash supressor really is not a problem either. Some think it's silly on a bolt gun, but have no problem with it on their AR or M1a. For such a multi purpose rifle, it may not be such a bad item to have, especially if you happen to also have a sound suppressor for that threaded barrel.

There is also continual questioning as to why Ruger did not make a double stack mag, perhaps allowing for M14 mags. This was answered by Michael Bane's (I believe) review of the GSR. Ruger would have had to widen the stock to accomodate a double stack, thus making the GSR more difficult to carry, as well as add weight. Another reason is that there are many poorly made M14 mags on the market. I don't think Ruger wanted the service calls based upon bad aftermarket magazines.

I'll keep mine. It shoots well, and fits me well. I think I'll even do a little deer hunting with it this year.

Last edited:

Single Six

DPris: Any idea if Ruger will be offering this rifle in stainless, and also are there any plans for different calibers?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A lot of the ideas favoring such things as the detachable mag and the flash hider and such look to me to be ignoring the mission of a Scout: Go find out, don't be seen, and report back. Getting into any sort of fire fight is mission faillure, but any shooting would be of the shoot and scoot sort with no more than a shot or two fired. If a Scout is seen, his objective then is to practice being elsewhere ASAP.

Cooper added to this idea with his own ideas about hunting. Basically, North American game animals, and ranges preferably within 300 yards. Thus the .308.

All in all, however, from a marketing standpoint, Ruger is smart to go ahead and do the mag for higher capacity and add the flash-hider. More folks would buy that sort of rig than buy one which is more suited to carry as a hunting rifle. IMO, anyhow. :)

DPris

Member Emeritus
Single,
Dunno, haven't asked 'em. I will.
Main guy I deal with's out of town till the first week of June, may take a while for an answer.
Denis

Gehrhard

I am convinced Ruger wanted to have a 10-round profile for high-cap banned states that made the gun look sexy, like a model AC 556.

To see the objective of Jeff Coopers "scout rifle" concept, please check the internet -- these are why the Ruger/Gunsite IS one and even the M1 SOCOM doesn't cut it.

Gehr

Attachments

• Ruger AC 556.jpg
    Ruger AC 556.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Ruger Scout.jpg
    Ruger Scout.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Springfield SOCOM.jpg
    Springfield SOCOM.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited: