Ruger PC Carbine bad- Ruger service worse

DoctorXring

I have a Ruger PC Carbine. I've got about 500 rounds through it with various brands and bullet weights and also handloads. Not one hiccup. None. With tuned handloads this carbine will group 5 shots in 1/2 inch at 50 yards. Brilliant design. High build quality.
I'm more impressed with this gun every time I take it out.

Sorry you've had trouble, but I feel strongly that your gun is an anomaly. I had a small problem with a Blackhawk revolver a few years ago. Fixed. No charge. And quick.

keithdog

I should update this I think.

Yes I do not know what was wrong. I feel it had to be me since everyone else has a had a great time with the PC Carbine. I really don't know. I followed the instructions for using it correctly and, as previously stated, have never had this problem with any of my other semi auto rifles. Ruger did make it right, though. They reimbursed me completely.

I was quite angry when I first posted this and I did have a very bad customer service experience at first. Since then I have had nothing but helpful charming people to deal with from Ruger and I am grateful to them.

My other Ruger guns have all performed flawlessly so long as I did my part (keeping them clean, of course, and NOT shooting Remington thunderbolt through my 10/22).

I used that reimbursement money to acquire the MBS95 bullpup stock for my hi point carbine. It's a fun and reliable weapon, if not terribly crude.

9mm

I own over 8 Rugers and never once had a problem other than long trigger pulls on the lc9 and lcp. IMO I never buy a new gun until its been on the market for 12-18 months so the bugs can be worked out.

Sterling

Ruger will make right. I beleive Ive spoken to that lady years back I purchased a new SR45 First shot at the range mag falls out. 2nd , 3rd you get the picture. Sent it in / returned to me fixed this time time the triger pins kept creeping out. Sent it back with a email stating I no longer wanted the gun as I did not feel safe with it for protection. And that I did not want a refund just a diffrent model of eqaul value. She calls me to explain she was on board however the only other fs 45acp pistol they had was their Newly arrived SR1911 worth almost 300$ more at the time than the model I returned. "How would you like a new SR1911 Sir" Me: uuuh yea shure send it at once. Coverd shiping and ffl transfer. Customer for life.....

Last edited:

drobs

Sounds like magazine issues. Should've tried some Glock Factory magazines.

Promag brand mags are garbage.

tahunua001

I had similar issues when returning a Ruger once. their CS was not that great, but after a while I eventually got through to one tech who was great and once they accepted the return they essentially rebuilt the entire firearm. I was not even the original owner and was up front about the fact that I suspected the previous owner had tampered with it. they gave me a free mag for the gun in question.

I have learned not to believe the reputation that companies earn regarding CS. one of the best CS experiences I've experienced while working with firearms warranty was with century arms who has one of the worst reps out there. then again I have also had pretty bad experience with century as well.

pblanc

As with most things in life, I think that the quality of customer service for gun companies depends on who you happen to speak to.

44 AMP

Staff
My personal opinion about rimless straight-case pistol cartridges in a rapid fire rifle is ummm...problematic from the get-go.

What do you consider "straight-case"? All the rimless pistol rounds I can think of have some degree of taper. Some more than others, but even the "straight" ones do have a small taper. The "straight" .30 Carbine and .45ACP (as well as the less straight 9mm Luger) have worked well in MILLIONS of carbines and SMGs, for longer than most of us have been alive...

The major issue I see with almost all pistol cartridge carbine designs is that they are built around the concept of magazine cross-compatibility with pistol sidearms--and so the carbine's manufacture is governed by making that receiver and feed work with what was intended for a pistol slide.

I won't disagree that building a rifle/carbine to function well with a pistol magazine is a tricksy task. But it is the design engineers responsibility to do it, and do it right to begin with. And its the production guys and QC's job to ensure that the design is made correctly. MOST of the time, the design is adequate and problems are due to construction flaws, but not always...

I'm old school about many things, my favorite PCC was my Thompson M1927A1. Despite its flaws, it was just FUN!! (IF you could LIFT IT!!!:D) Not built to take any pistol magazine, that one. (the Tommygun "pistol" does use the same mags, but the carbine came first, so the pistol uses carbine mags...)

My other PCC is a Calico, and its top mount helical 50/100rnd mags are so far outside the usual design it really doesn't fit the "pistol mag" discussion, though the carbine and the pistol do use the same magazines.

hdwhit

It is an axiom in marketing that "You become who you went into business to compete with." Ruger has, in my opinion, reached that point.