Ruger PC Carbine bad- Ruger service worse

riffraff

One thing I wonder about is the ammo. I have one pistol which runs terribly on blazer brass and perfectly on remington.

Logs

I looked at the Rugers yesterday, but ended up buying a Colt 9mm AR for $699 (preowned), but the Colt felt better to me. I thought the Ruger was kind of heavy for it's size. I hope Ruger fixes your carbine.

keithdog

update

Ledslinger, I understand your point, but I'm very pleased with Hi Point. I'm not at all hard to satisfy. A semi auto that can't make it through a single Ruger factory magazine without a double feed or failure to eject is a piece of garbage. And it's not me- I have had 8 semi autos, all of which run as advertised. I know how to seat magazines. I know how to clean and maintain a gun.
With that out of the way, let me just say that on the second return, Ruger was kind enough to replace the gun outright with a brand new model. I am deeply disappointed to tell you that the new PC Carbine I received today had 7 failures to eject and 2 double feeds in the first 150 rounds (100 American Eagle and 50 Remington UMC). I'm done with the gun.
I understand that everyone else likes the gun and has had them work perfectly. I too have read the reviews. Hickock45's first PC Carbine gave him trouble, but his second functioned well. My second is no better than the first.
I have made sure the barrel tightly attached and taken careful steps to make sure the gun is properly cleaned and lubricated. The magazines have been carefully seated with quality American brass.
I'm not bashing Ruger. My 4 other Ruger's have performed flawlessly so long as I maintained them and took care loading the magazines.
I'm not bashing the PC Carbine, either. I'm giving my terrible experience with a gun that is supposed to be stellar.

keithdog

I wanted to make sure to thank logs and riffraff and everyone else who took the time to put in their 2 cents. I appreciate the feedback and support, the opinions and criticism. Getting responses and constructive feedback is what makes this forum so great.

stagpanther

Wow! the odds that you would get two malfunctioning guns in a row seem astronomical--are you sure you followed the owner's manual to the letter?

mr bolo

THANKS for the update, I have NO plans to buy a RUGER PC carbine

Im going to buy a nice handgun instead.

keithdog

stagpanther- yes. 100 percent. It's a very simple gun to take apart. The only tricky thing is making sure the barrel nut (I think that's what its called) is twisted all the way to the right direction so as to secure a tight fit and now allow gas to be lost. I called Ruger to make sure I was twisting it the right way. I was.
It does seem astronomical. These guns are well reviewed everywhere else, save Hickock45 1st review.
I keep thinking it must be me, but neither me nor the guys who work at the local gun store/range can figure our what's going wrong with it. One dude thought it was the mag wobble, but that doesn't make sense- all the PC Carbine reviews mentioned that very thing in common, with stellar results. Idk man. I really don't know.
Ruger rocks and I like their products... what are the odds of this? lol

And seriously? The rear sight blew off on the second magazine?
Come on, Ruger. You're soooo much better than this.

fourbore

I had a lot of Rugers, bolts, semi and single shot rifles and SA revolvers and pistols. All well made and good value guns. I had the rare rifle that was a bit below expectation for accuracy. No outright lemons. That goes back to 1970. I worked hard and less time to buy new guns, now retired and time again. Sometime along the way things changed. Remingtons are worthless, Marlin is gone and now Ruger clinging to the bottom rung.

In my last 8 Rugers, only two guns that were issue free. They are often sloppy in assembly. Like the OP, sights, srews and pins work loose, fit of grips to frame, internal fit and even basic function in one example. I sold 2 rifles that had BOTH serious accuracy and fitment issues- a 77 and an American. I did my own repairs on 3 hand guns- multiple repairs on each! I kept a No1 in spite of poor accuracy as a future project. I have two American bolt actions that shoot well and trouble free and without cosmetic slips. This problem goes right across the price and product line spectrum. Ruger is in trouble.

As for customer service all I can say is EXCELLENT. They have been right there for me. I would make a conservative estimate that I have called 10 times in 5 years and requested parts for new guns. They always offer to make the repair and agree to send me what ever I need to DIY the job. I have spoke with service techs and amazed at the lack of knowledge. I would not trust those clowns to fix my gun. Excellent CS support on the phone with parts does not equate to good repair work.

stagpanther

I've had many guns from many manufacturers that had "issues"--usually I worked my way through them but had to return a few. My luck is usually worse than average shooters with these things. All that said, of all the many ruger pistols, revolvers and rifles I've bought they have all been "trouble free" though not necessarily the best shooting weapons in their class. But sometimes it takes a while for flaws to work their way out "in the wild."

Fourbore--they usually "firebox" their service contacts from the actual production facilities--so it may take a bit of extra effort to get through to an actual engineer--but that's hardly unique to Ruger among the "biggies."

Apple a Day

Sorry you've had issues with your PC-9. I've put 500 rounds through mine and the only real problem I've had was my fault because I put an aftermarket hammer on it. With OEM parts and Glock mags it gobbles ammo.
Hope they get you up and running soon

Model12Win

My new .45 Blackhawk has some blued-over mares near the water table. Thought about sending it back but hell, this is a workman's piece and I plan to run it hard and carry it for defense and exploring. With luck, it'll look way worse this time next year. :)

Still, Ruger has developed a bit of a reputation for having not quite as good a fit and finish these days. Hope they change that.

Ricklin

Ruger has slipped

I too feel like Ruger is not the company they once were, the separation of their CS and their engineering is a symptom of a larger disease.

I have worked with smaller companies most of my life, mostly on the sales and management side. My mentor initially assigned me to tech support due to my prior experience, and the fact that my people built the stuff.

Hey it worked. Production people are not connected to the customer. Most people want to do good work. When they get quick feedback as to their errors the situation improves quickly.

Today I just sell and manage my own world. I do note that our tech support team is part of and in the same space with our engineering department. Again it's all about feedback, and connecting to the customer.

It is the customer that makes the world go round.

TINCANBANDIT

A couple of words of wisdom, take them or leave them as they are free :)

1. Never buy a gun the first year (or even second) that it comes out, let the mfg work out the bugs first

2. Buy from Davidson's or a dealer that does, they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty for the buyer (http://www.galleryofguns.com/about/terms.aspx)

3. Don't trust gun reviews, you rarely find honest ones as the reviewers are afraid that if they give a bad review, they will no longer be sent guns to review.

With that being said, I also find it hard to believe that Ruger provided you with two lemons....not questioning your honesty, but are we sure ammo isn't to blame?

Ricklin

Yup, a lost art

Corporations are not people.

Symptoms of a larger disease is what we are seeing with Ruger. A good many years ago I had the opportunity to continue making really serious money by giving up my independence and joining a corporation as an employee.

One of the primary reasons I did not? The corporate ethos was: Maximum profit for minimum outlay.
The code words that are used to justify less than honest behavior? The first priority is your fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders. You are only as good as the upcoming quarterly report.

I left the company. I'm likely not as wealthy as I would have been had I stayed. I do enjoy the pleasure of sleeping well.

M4BGRINGO

I had to send back a Ruger single action revolver twice, but it was a quick turn around and now works perfect. Out of the box the cylinder was mis-timed. I guess they don't fire a test round anymore.

I just bought a PC9. Put 200 rounds through it this past weekend. I used the Glock adapter and have 10 mags for it. There was at least one mag that would fall out if I didn't really slap that thing in HARD! I should have tossed it to the side so I knew which one it was.

I tried some custom loads in it, less powder and 115 grain bullets, using this gun for Knockdown Steel. Well, some of them did not eject correctly, had some double feeds. Luckily for me I brought "normal" factory ammo which worked perfect.

I checked the rear sight screw, even though I am not using it, and yeah, it was coming loose already. The one that lets you adjust for windage. The other one for elevation was fine, so were the front sight screws.

It is heavy for it's size, but compared to my Saiga-12, it is a flyweight!

Model12Win

The PC Carbine is a fantastic firearm. All reports (except yours) that I've read have been stellar. You got a lemon. Contact Ruger. They WILL make it right for you.