Ruger No.1 discontinued?

RC20

I always loved the looks but never heard anything stellar about accuracy.

Good enough hunting accuracy but if I was interested it would be for bench shooting.

And a side comment on Rill R. While not a big fan of the styles, they did and do make solid guns.

I have no agnst with Bill R. He simply said what I think as well, what do you need more than 10 rounds for?

The nut in Tucson had a 30 round magazine and I didn't even know you could get them. At that point its not self defense, its mayham in mind.

FrankenMauser

VTRich said:
I believe the 1B is no longer made, but they still make the 1A, 1S, 1H, 1V and RSI in one caliber each per year. I believe the 2014 run is 1A in 280, 1S in 9.3x62, RSI in 257 Roberts, 1V in 220 Swift, and 1H in 450 Nitro. Then there are always the distributor exclusives.
I don't know if the exact models and chamberings are correct, but the principle outlined by VTRich is correct.

Ruger announced, last year, that the #1 was going to be run in limited numbers, with a single chambering per production run and model, each year. So, if they don't offer what you want this year, wait and see what shows up next year...

It has not been discontinued, but selection and availability will be very limited.

bamaranger

Ruger isn't the same

"What has Ruger discontinued since B. Ruger died? I don't think it is that much."

Well, lets just see..... the side x side Gold Label is gone. So too the Woodside. The Red Label is the sole survivor, and only offered in 12 ga, no 20, no 28. I would bet its days are limited. Not a shotgun guy myself, but too bad if you wanted an American made double priced less than a Browning, and of better quality than a used Savage 311. The Old Army is gone, the finest percussion revolver ever made. Used to be made in stainless too. If you were a cowboy shooter in BP, too bad. The .44 carbine is gone, in both old tube model, mag fed model, and the lever model. If you want an American .44 now, its gonna be a Marlin. If they are producing those currently, that work? Priced a Ruger .44 carbine lately....$400-500 and up. No lever .22 either...one of those in .22 mag was always on my list. Guess I'll get a 9422M instead.........priced one of those lately? The tidy DA Six family is gone, replaced by the larger heavier SP family. As mag capacity and rate of fire now rule, the SP's might as well go on the "death list" too.

The nifty No#3 is gone too, likely predicting the ultimate fate of the #1.

FrankenMauser

The Red Label is the sole survivor, and only offered in 12 ga, no 20, no 28. I would bet its days are limited.
The Red label has already been discontinued (2012?), re-engineered, and brought back for 2014.

And, the 77/44 is still in production.

bamaranger

77/44

The perfect example. Ruger milks the 77/44 to make the 77/357, which I'm betting, is a variation of the existing action used to make the 77/22 Hornet.

No new design, just variation on a theme. I'll bet those two numbers (77/357/44) are gone soon too.

I am not a shotgun guy, so the news on the Red Label is interesting.

I never even saw/seen a SxS Gold Label, which in a way, rang a chord w/ me.

FrankenMauser

The perfect example. Ruger milks the 77/44 to make the 77/357, which I'm betting, is a variation of the existing action used to make the 77/22 Hornet.

No new design, just variation on a theme. I'll bet those two numbers (77/357/44) are gone soon too.
Of course it's a variation of the 77/22H action. Why design an all new firearm, when you have something on the shelf that just needs a few dimensions bumped up to get the job done?

You don't see Savage, Browning, Remington, or anyone else designing a specific rifle for .308 Win, a specific rifle for .270 Win, a specific rifle for .22-250, and everything else on the market, do you?

If you think each and every cartridge on the market needs to be chambered in a rifle designed specifically for that cartridge, then perhaps you should get a manufacturer's license and try that business model for yourself. ;)

Are really even familiar with the Ruger offerings, at all? It seems like you're grasping at straws, just trying to find a way to profess your hatred of their practices, without having even some basic information about what they're doing.

steveNChunter

I may be crazy but I think the No.1 series will last for many years in its current limited production status.

As far as the gun-buying masses are concerned, if we see a particular rifle on the shelf of every gun store we walk into, it's generally less desirable simply because it's so readily available. A Ruger No.1 catches our eye because we don't see a new one every day. We sub-conciously make ourselves want something that's rare or harder to find.

And as far as Ruger as a brand, yes they have changed, some aspects for the better, some for the worse. They have more appeal to the masses and have lost some of the uniqueness of their brand. But they are still turning out some great products.

They have had to adapt to the changes of what gun buyers want as have most of the American gunmakers. They are appealing to a younger, more budget-minded gun buyer, while still building most of the stuff that got them where they are today. Such as the M77, 10/22, MK series rimfire pistols, Blackhawk, Redhawk, Single Six and others. They still have the No.1 in limited production to appeal to the mature collector-type buyer. It makes perfect sense and it's obviously working for them.

Sure, rifles like the RAR are cheaply made and lacking in fit and finish, but they make for a very accurate "beat-around" hunting rifle, and if you drop it out of your treestand or something it's not nearly as big of a deal as dropping your M77 or No.1.

There's still alot to like about Ruger, just different things than there used to be.

And while we are reminiscing about discontinued models, I know this will probably never happen but I wish they would re-vamp the old model 96 with a longer detachable mag, and lengthen and "beef up" the receiver to accept .308 length cartridges. They would sell like hotcakes if the price was right, and steal a good share of Browning, Marlin, Henry, Rossi, etc. levergun sales. Might even cause enough of a stir to make Savage want to re-release the Model 99! (doubtful)

bamaranger

gosh

I'm not sure what's required to qualify as being "familiar" with Ruger, but will offer that I bought my first sample of their goods about 1981. I have owned 12 of their products total, and still have 11 of them in the safe. I've read "Ruger and his Guns" by Wilson, and have read a ton of gun rag stuff over the years. I qualified for my agency with a Security Six back in the days before auto pistols, and still hunt a .44 carbine and a M77II in x39mm on a regular basis for whitetails, and toy with a Mini30 for 3 gun. My 77v, an early one, may be the most accurate rifle I own.

I am not suggesting that a manufacturer develops new firearms for individual calibers. As you pointed out, that is absurd. What I am attempting to describe, apparently poorly, is the dropping of older, iconic designs by a company that I held in high regard, that manufactured rather unique and "old school" type firearms that appealed to me. These "walnut and steel" type designs are being steadily replaced by poly designs ala the Ruger American that do not. This is likely to compete with other price point firearms on the market. And yes, there may well be other reasons that I do not understand. But that does not matter, as I do not intend to buy those products anyhow. That said, I wish Ruger had released their version of the Scout Rifle years ago, I like that recent offering.

"Hatred" is a strong word and not really appropriate for my thoughts. Regret and lament seem more akin to my emotions. When the "old man" ran things, it seems pretty clear that Ruger operated on the principal of "Bill said so". And he got a lot of things right,....it is well accepted that Bill Ruger had an innate sense of what shooters/hunters wanted, and produced same, often against the apparent current trend, but still successfully. Witness the single action production after Colt had dropped same. Or the currently discussed single shot No1 in a world full of repeaters.

As near as I can tell, that mind set is gone, and profit and ease of production now drive Ruger.

44 AMP

Staff
What I am attempting to describe, apparently poorly, is the dropping of older, iconic designs by a company that I held in high regard, that manufactured rather unique and "old school" type firearms that appealed to me.

Sadly, Ruger in not unique in this, merely a bit more recent about some of it.

Where does one get a new Colt DA revolver?
Where do you get a pinned & recessed S&W without a lock.
Where you get a new Remington 600?
Ruger No.3?

the list goes on, and is long.

Hell, my Uncle loved his Edsel.

I loved my Desoto.

But not enough other people did, and they don't make them any more.

dgludwig

Ruger announced, last year, that the #1 was going to be run in limited numbers, with a single chambering per production run and model, each year.

I spoke with a Ruger rep at the NRA Convention in Indianapolis last week and he affirmed exactly what you reported.

derryl

I found a No 1 varmit on the shelf in a gun store 4 years ago. I was thinking about building a varmit rifle on a mauser action I have at the time. The Ruger was a 6mm. It had sat on the shelf for 7 years. I got it for around 800, and put a Leupold 6.5x20 varmit scope on it. The scope papers said to sight in at 200 yds. I did that,and would not take a gold monkey for this gun. It is very accurate, and a pleasure to shoot. I hope Ruger does not discontinue the No1.I might find another good deal some day on another one.

I read very few positive reviews of Ruger shotguns. I believe that had a lot to do with them disapearing for a bit. They invested considerable money in a redesign.
The #1 is a different story.

hammie

With some eastern states (indiana & ohio I think?) now allowing straight walled pistol cartridges for deer, I wonder if that might offer a new market base for No-1's. A No-1A, chambered for .357 max, would make a short handy deer rifle for those areas.

VTRich

They did make a few several years ago in 357 Mag, which you could probably have the chamber lengthened to 357 Max.

They also made some in 460 S&W (could shoot 454, and 45 Colt also) and 475 Linebaugh (shoots 480 Ruger also). These were made for a few years up until 2012 I believe.

kraigwy

Ruger announced, last year, that the #1 was going to be run in limited numbers, with a single chambering per production run and model, each year.

I'm really glad to hear that, the #1 is a great rifle though I only have one in 204 Ruger.

I'm gonna keep an eye out in case a certain caliber catches my eye.

A beautiful well made rifle in my opinion.

dgludwig

I like my number 1 as well, but if someone offers me a Gold Monkey for it, they can have it.

Be careful what you wish for. I've seen gold monkeys small enough to fit on a key-ring and light enough to keep a recalled Chevy running. :D

hammie

Or maybe a brass monkey would be even better.

When I compare today's prices for cartridge brass to the prices just a decade ago, I wish I had bought more brass and less gold.

And I'm not joking, either.

Last edited:

Rifletom

Well then, I suppose my question has been answered. A lot of very good replys. At least the No.1 is still out there. As mentioned earlier, sure glad I have mine.