Ruger No.1 discontinued?

Rifletom

I read this elsewhere and was wondering if any of you people have seen or heard anything similar. The Ruger No.1B, well, all No.1's are fantastic rifles, so I hope this isn't true. Glad I have one[30-06 in No.1B]. Thanks guys.

trigger643

Everyone but Ruger has discussed discontinuing the No.1 for quite a number of years. I see the most recent catalog has each variant available in only a single caliber. I suppose this could be telling, but mostly it evidences the model's continued declining popularity and demand.

As with everything, if they can't sell them, they will eventually stop making them (who's going to waste the time and resources manufacturing something no one is buying?).

SaxonPig

I think everything except AR15s are selling more slowly these days. May be cutting down on calibers. Or maybe each year a different caliber will be offered as a sales gimmick.

jersurf101

I have been wanting one in 45-70. I think this is one caliber where the Ruger 1 really shines. It would be a shame to see them discontinue the Ruger 1. They are nothing if not easy on the eyes. My father has one in 7mm REM magnum and it is a good elk/mulie gun for long shots.

reynolds357

Ruger priced themselves out of the market. I paid $425 for my 1H tropical 416 Rigby in 1997. The pricing on them now is absurd.

44 AMP

Staff
Ruger No.1s have always been expensive. In 1978, their model 77 bolt gun was $230, the No.1 was $295!

Ruger doesn't make everything all the time. What they list is what they are building now, or have on hand. Next year, could be something different. The year after, they might make this's years models/calibers again.

So, if you don't see what you want listed, it may mean they have dropped it, or that they just aren't making that particular thing now, and might resume making them at some future date.

Seasonal production, I think they call it.

VTRich

I believe the 1B is no longer made, but they still make the 1A, 1S, 1H, 1V and RSI in one caliber each per year. I believe the 2014 run is 1A in 280, 1S in 9.3x62, RSI in 257 Roberts, 1V in 220 Swift, and 1H in 450 Nitro. Then there are always the distributor exclusives.

VTRich

Davidson's has a bunch of 303 British models right now. Must be overrun from last year. I think they have about 25 left. If you have an FFL that uses them, have them order you one.

Sierra280

44AMP got it right. Ruger just doesn't make a variety of caliber choices, they change yearly. VTRich correctly listed this years offerings; and the 45-70 is the 2014 distributor exclusive!

As for discontinuing the no.1-b I can understand it. I have a #1-b in 7mm Rem Mag, and I honestly can't tell the difference between the 1-v and 1-b. Both have the same style fore-end, both have 26" heavy barrels, it seems like the 1-b was just a repetitive model.

No doubt Ruger is probably making more money off sales of the SR(insert caliber here). But it would be a real shame if they discontinued the no.1. Everyone I let shot it loves it, and I always keep it front and center in my gun cabinet, I get (almost) as much enjoyment looking at it as I do shooting it.

Everyone who loves the no1 should work on promoting it. I will happily let anyone shoot it, to introduce them to the beauty of a single shot rifle (as well as the falling block action).

Hunting with a single shot rifle has numerous advantages: lighter weight is easier to pack around, better balance for off hand shots (due to the short action length and weight distribution), and it is definitely a more sporting hunt with a bigger emphasis on stalking an animal as closely as possible. Also, I've never heard of anyone getting 'buck fever' when that little man in the back of your head keeps whispering "You've only got one... this is your only shot...make it count!" You all know the little man.

tahunua001

they only do them in limited batches in a couple different calibers every year. they still list them in their catalog and every year they do different calibers for all of their different versions.

SaxonPig

Well, I got mine...

standard.jpg

oldscot3

I have a 1b in 338wm. I love it, it has unbelievably beautiful wood, and shoots well in spite of a rather hard trigger pull. I purchased it new for about $800.00 and have no doubt it has appreciated significantly since then. It is in a league of it's own, if it were a bolt gun think of the makers it would be competing with. I'll bet the price would be way higher. In the single shot arena however, there is absolutely nothing near it's price range that I know of(someone want to argue for the Miroku made Brownings?). If Ruger quits making them, there will be quite a void in the firearms world.

Sierra280

All this as got me thinking; Isn't it time for the no.3 to make a come back? A truly 'entry level' Ruger single shot would help promote the rifle and get popularity going again.

People could have a more affordable way to get into the rifle, then eventually upgrade. I grew up with everyone using 700's as the goto rifle (Mostly cheap ADLs as hunting rifles). When I first bought my own, I sure knew I wanted a BDL with all the bells and whistles. I think if people could get introduced to the no.3 or similar cheap single shot, it would lead to sales of higher end rifles.

bamaranger

very thing

I made a comment regards this very thing just a while back on another thread.
It would not surprise me in the least if "new" Ruger cans the No.1 family. Ruger no longer makes many, if any, niche type firearms.

Price and profit drive the company entirely, as opposed to "old" Ruger when the Ruger Sr. was in charge. Witness all the old models, designed by the founder, that have disappeared. I have no doubt at all the No. 1 is next.

Ruger isn't the same.
Your right and it pleases me they have changed. They will even sell me a mag with more than ten rounds now :)

What has ruger discontinued since Bill Ruger died? I don't think it is that much. If they worked off of straight accounting I am guessing they would have canned the SP101, Red Label, redhawk, and No. 1. They offer less chamberings each year, but are still producing most of the old guns. Since they are all available on the used market at well below new prices I won't fault Ruger for not making new ones.