Ruger LCP vs Sig P 238

EdInk

I vote for the lcp. Lighter. No exposed hammer. No manual safety. Smaller overall. Easier to conceal. Not having as many problems from owners.

tristar viper

There is no comparison that can be made between these two guns. I have the Sig and have shot the LCP a number of times. They share no similarities. The Sig shoots beautifully (once you send it back and they fix it correctly) and the LCP is what it is, a cheap little disgusting thing that I truly despise shooting, but it will save your life and that's what it's for.
The Sig you can take to the range and fully enjoy the experience. My buddy tried that with the LCP and came home with a bloody hand after not even 50 rounds.
No thank you on the LCP for me, I gladly will pay double for the Sig (which I nearly did) and be happy about it.

AK103K

The Sig shoots beautifully (once you send it back and they fix it correctly) and the LCP is what it is, a cheap little disgusting thing that I truly despise shooting, but it will save your life and that's what it's for.
Let me see, cheap and ugly and works as its supposed to right out of the box, for $300, or an over priced paperweight that needs attention right out of the box for $600. Hmmm, let me ponder on that awhile. OK, I'm going with the cheap and ugly, rather than stick needles in my eyes trying to ease the pain of dealing with the other. :)

My buddy tried that with the LCP and came home with a bloody hand after not even 50 rounds.
I dont know what your buddy was doing to have that problem after 50 rounds, but it must not have been right. I've shot a couple of hundred at a time out of mine, and nary a drop of blood drawn, and my hand was not the least bit sore either. Now 50 rounds from my old PPK's or J frames, thats something else altogether.

From a lot of the responses Ive read about the P238's, I get the feeling that the owners use them more as target or range guns, than they do as a tool.

tristar viper

LOL, to each his own AK, to each his own. I wouldn't trade my Sig for 5 LCP's. True my Sig had me so mad I about threw it down the range at first, but now it's fixed after only one trip to Sig, and I'm glad I took the time to let them attempt a repair. I'm not trying one bit to offend anybody, but I think the LCP is the most disgusting little pistol ever made, period. I shot the little KelTec and I liked it better.
I can't attest to why my buddy had that problem, he's not a novice shooter and has other guns. He does say he wishes he had never bought the LCP.

tristar viper

And I now carry my 238 quite a bit. I trust it now, whereas before I did not. It resides in the console of my car most of the time, or when I wear shorts it's with me. I love the gun almost as much as my standard bearing (in my household) Glock 19.

benzuncle

The Sig shoots beautifully (once you send it back and they fix it correctly)
+1 on the P238. I wanted to replace my NAA Guardian 380, an excellent firearm but with a long trigger pull and a good bit of snap, with something else. The NAA 380 had been as reliable a firearm as anyone could ask for and purchased 3 years ago, before everyone decided they had to have a 380ACP. As the Ruger, Kahr and Taurus were each introduced I gave them a very thorough look. The forums were a huge help, even before you actually lay your hands on the firearms. I finally got to hold the Kahr and the SIG P238. That did it for me. The cost was essentially the same so that was a wash. And as this was to be a self-defense firearm cost was not really a motivator. I knew going in that I might have problems with the P238. I did. I also know that mechanical things can be fixed to work properly. I gave SIG the chance and they did just that. I called SIG Customer Service, they emailed me a pre-paid overnight UPS label and told me the firearm would be back in 4 weeks. That is exactly what happened. The P238 shoots beautifully as Tristar Viper said. I run 102gr Remington Golden Sabers through mine and since it returned have pushed over 300 trouble-free rounds through it. The first two trips to the range, I fired 18 mags and 16 mags respectively through the P238 HD with zero problems. The last 6 mags at each range session, I fired as fast as I could from the waist, just to see if I was going to have problems. NOT. That sucker spits’em out! The single action cocked-and-locked is not an issue for me. (BTW: I do not own a 1911.) I use the DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster. This is the Nemesis with an extra piece that can be attached via Velcro to prevent printing. I have reversed the flap so that it is on the inside (left) side of the firearm. This covers the safety. I used this holster with the Guardian 380 for 3 years without that flap. The firearm never printed. Good luck in your deliberation. If you get a chance to fire any of the firearms in question that will definitely help you in your decision-making process.

AK103K

The only way to really know for sure if one or the other, or even if either, is the one for you, is to pony up the money and try them out. You only really get to know them by shooting them and seeing if you get along. Otherwise, either way, its all just hearsay, good or bad.

What is/was aggravating to me was, the SIG was a fairly high dollar gun, and one I really expected to work, as all my others did. Unfortunately, it didnt, and as I said earlier, SIG didnt seem to be addressing the problems, even after multiple trips back for some people, so I didnt want to have to deal with putting even more money after bad, so I dumped mine. From the sounds of it, they may be getting a better hold on things now, but for me, if it has to go back, even once, its still not figured out, and for what they get for them, certainly not acceptable.

Right now for me, the Seecamps are the ones to beat for this type pistol, and nothing I've tried since getting them, has measured up. Not saying they are perfect or anything, but for me, they have been, just like all my other SIG's, and HK's and as of late, Glocks. To bad Glock has those pesky import laws to deal with, or we might have a new kool aide packet to "discuss" between wiping spit off the screen and key boards. :)

davidh5000

Decision Made

Tried both guns out today and came to a decision. Its the Sig for me. With the big hands I have combined with the high grip I use I would have to alter my hold on the Ruger, or probably end up getting bit a few times. I also have a fair amount of experience with 1911's so the P238 seems more of a "natural" choice. I decied to go with the base nitron finish gun without the night sights, at the ranges the gun is intended for I don't see the need for them and it knocked almost $150 off the gun.

Now the bad thing is I'm thinking about taking that $150 and putting it towards an almost new Kahr PM40 that the shop just got in!!!:eek::eek::eek:

EdInk

I hope you are happy with the Sig. In regards to the Kahr, it's a good gun too. However, I suggest you actually shoot one of your new guns before trading them off for something new. That or find a place that will rent them.

davidh5000

I rented the LCP and the P 238, it was the only way to decide which to buy. I have shot a PM 40 before and liked it after I got used to the 2 finger grip I have to use. I think the Kahr would make an excellent little pocket gun for winter time for a coat pocket.

Mr. Whimsy

The build date of my P238 Sig is 9/11/10 and so far it hasn't displayed any of the maladies I read about after purchasing it.

Often, the difference between getting a good gun and a lemon is 2 years. That seems to be the safety margin for buyers after a new pistol is released. I'm never the first kid on the block to own any of these flyweights, because it takes the manufacturer that long to work out all the bugs.

I sympathize with any P238 owners who got lemons, that absolutely sucks. But the Ruger LCP had the same teething problems when it first came out, so I see no reason to jump on Sig with both feet because they're employing the same crappy tactic all other manufacturers are doing.

The first 2 years or so, you and I are the beta testers, the quality control. It ain't right. But I predict with time (and based on my new sample) that the Sig will mature into something reliable as they continue to work on it.

Mr Lucky

They are two completely different pistols. If the Sig 238 was a 9mm I would buy one. I just can't justify that cost for a .380.

I have an LCP. It is a very good little pistol at a reasonable price. I could loose it and not feel bad. I would just buy another one.

Last edited:

Big Bill

If you've got loads of money to spare, then buy the SIG. However, if you're like me, and just want a little carry gun that conceals well in most situations, then buy the LCP. There are lots of accessories available for the LCP.

Last edited:

Laserlips

Two of the "options" I like on MY LCP are the excellent Crimson Trace Laser, and in an effort at redundance the fine external sights as offered by Innovative Arms.. (front is a Trijicon night sight).. :D

As for the, I'm sure very good Sig?

If it were DA I'd be on one in a heartbeat.. But no single-action firearms for me for cc and self defense.

Best Wishes,

jesse

100_2114.jpg

Bernie Lomax

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle, so my vote is for the LCP. In a stressful SD situation you don't want to have to worry about racking a slide or fumbling around with a hammer or safety. With the LCP, you don't have any of those problems. You just draw it, point it and pull the trigger. It's that simple.

IMO, the ideal trigger for a pocket gun would be a DA/SA with a really heavy DA pull, but I'm not aware of any that have such a trigger.

Cheapshooter

I don't want to deal with condition one carry and safety on a pocket pistol. LCP all the way.
My Elsie is my warm weather, light clothing CCW. Other times it's a SA XD40 Subcompact.

jersey_emt

Bernie Lomax said:
I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle, so my vote is for the LCP. In a stressful SD situation you don't want to have to worry about racking a slide or fumbling around with a hammer or safety. With the LCP, you don't have any of those problems. You just draw it, point it and pull the trigger. It's that simple.

While the presence or lack of a manual safety is definitely a valid concern for a SD pistol, you don't have to worry about racking the slide of the P238 any more compared to the LCP. They're both semiautos, so you of course need to rack the slide the chamber a round on either.

IMO, the manual safety issue becomes moot if you put in the amount of live and dry training you should with any gun you intend to carry. It becomes a natural part of drawing the gun from the holster. But it is still a valid concern, and it is still a personal preference.

IMO, the ideal trigger for a pocket gun would be a DA/SA with a really heavy DA pull, but I'm not aware of any that have such a trigger.

The only true "pocket pistol" with a DA/SA trigger that I'm aware of would be the Beretta Tomcat. It's only available in .32 ACP though, not .380 ACP.

Stepping up a little bit in size would be the Walther PPK or the SIG P232. Both are available in .380 ACP, and both have a DA/SA trigger with a rather heavy DA pull.