Ruger is announcing a new product tomorrow (most likely a handgun)

Status
Not open for further replies.
fisherman66 said:
since when did that stop a marketing department?

Never said it would stop a marketing department from anything. Just trying to make the point that the buzz is pretty substantial in the gun community to equate an unvieling of another cartridge in an already available gun.

fisherman66

Sorry "tongue in cheek" doesn't come across so well in cyberspace, Shane. I own more Rugers than anything else and wish I bought it's stock a couple years ago. I think they are the best business in arms manufacturing today. Their marketing department has taken a couple clones and turned those into "gun of the year" according to one gun rag. Their 3rd "gun of the year" certainly was revolutionary as a poly framed revolver, but that's the only real piece of genius I can think of. How many times and how many threads have been started over a silly count down timer or "breaking news" banner of the Ruger.com site? A bunch. Is another 1911 really buzz worthy? You have to admit, the Marketing Dept at Ruger works magic on a very tight budget.

How many times and how many threads have been started over a silly count down timer or "breaking news" banner of the Ruger.com site? A bunch. Is another 1911 really buzz worthy? You have to admit, the Marketing Dept at Ruger works magic on a very tight budget.

OK. I have to give you that as a valid point. I guess the only thing to do now is wait and see...

ohen cepel

Please let it be anything other than a 1911. It's a fine design but time and energy could be much better spent elsewhere.

Single Six

My guess is a 1911. What better time for the last holdout manufacturer to unveil it's version of the GM than on the gun's centennial? Meanwhile, as much as I love Ruger, I must confess that this game they're playing with the announcement ["Tune in tomorrow! No, the day after tomorrow at 2:00PM!"] is really infuriating.

jhenry

Ruger will spend it's time and energy where the is a profit to be made.

An example would be their SR-556 rifle. There are AR clones out the wazoo on the market. Why waste time and money on another varient? Because there is money to be made, and they had the means and ability to put one out that addresses what is (for some) the major gripe with the Stoner design.

I personally look to see a 1911 (ish) pistol with some design elements relatively unique to Ruger.

They have a Gunsite endorsed Scout Rifle now. What would go better with it than a Gunsite endorsed Ruger 1911 with say...an external extractor, no swinging link, a captured recoil spring, and maybe the elimination of the removable barrel bushing? Who knows.

I happen to like the plain old 1911, but we will see what we will see.

Jamie B

Until the LCP, Ruger has pretty much ignored the CCW market segment.

Since the Old Man is gone, and they are a public company beholden to their stockholders, I'll bet that this new offering will be CCW-based.

It is a huge market, as we all know, and more competition is a good thing.

Also, the smaller CCW guns would be cheaper that a 1911, and might make more sense in a slow economy.

Jamie

XD Gunner

It's a fine design but time and energy could be much better spent elsewhere.

No. It's THE design. Every other auto-loader since has been measured against it. I would buy the gun tomorrow if it turns out to be a Ruger 1911 for $500 or less.

catzor

Of course

It has to a 1911. Its the only thing that really makes sense. As others have said, a variant of an existing design, be it a LC9, SR45c, etc., just wouldn't be the cause for such buzz. Besides, think of it from there perspective: If they are going to create such a big hype for a WOWOMGNEWGUN on the 100th anniversary of the 1911, they know people will expect a 1911. If they deliver something else, they run the risk of ******* a bunch of folks off and automatically making them disinterested in whatever other gun they would be releasing.

That said, I would love to see an sr45c, LC9, or an 8-shot LCR .22lr(all of which we'll likely see in the next year or two) WAY before I'd be interested in another 1911. Whether you like their marketing tactics or not, they work. Here we are buzzing about it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.