Ruger #1

fisherman66

Already bookmarked! I doubt it will stay near that price, but I will be watching bright and early tomorrow.

I travel a lot for work and stay at the same hotel chain for frequent guest points. I just cashed in all my points for a BassPro gift card today. I should have the RSI on order as soon as that gift card comes in. No luck going the barreled action route. Plan is starting to come together.

G98; it was rainy today, so I didn't do the wet picture of the walnut. An indoor pict just doesn't do it justice.

srtrax

Fish, that doesnt make any sense, IT WAS RAINING TODAY SO COULD'NT TAKE A WET PICTURE! :p

Thats cool, getting the rifle that way, glad to see it starting to come together for ya!

srtrax

Gewehr98

To die for birdseye maple, wood like to see that!

Anyone out there with a chunk of wood they favor, or already on a gun ,lets see it.....

fisherman66

Fish, that doesnt make any sense, IT WAS RAINING TODAY SO COULD'NT TAKE A WET PICTURE!

I don't like wetting figured wood with water. Besides, it's the sun I needed. A camera flash never does a good enough job.

Wife said "no" on the e-bay blank. She said wait till I see what the UPS man brings.

srtrax

I was just kidding about the wet picture!, and don't ya hate it when the wife is right. I got a feeling the wood people are going to do you right this time. Fingers crossed, hope its the perfect one for your project.

srtrax

Wow, nice color and figure. That would make for some really nice grips. Its good that it soaks it up like that, means the wood is good and dry, the finish will go deep into the pours. You said it was hard to sand, to me that is a sign of good wood and proper drying, I've sanded on claro and some english that you had to be careful or you could over sand.... this Turkish Walnut was like sanding concrete, talk about being able to keep edges sharp ( no problem). I also think that means it'll take checkering well.

fisherman66

Newton's Wood shipment

came in today. Very wavy (and maybe a couple burl eyes - hard to tell in the wax) claro walnut 22" along the grain and about 20" over it and 4" thick. I'm not going to sand the wax off to take a picture. Sorry, just not going to risk it for a couple months at least. There is some checking, but I can get the best figure in the butt stock with the tightest grain in the grip and a full Mannlicher forearm stock at least without bumping into checked wood. I might be able to get another stock out of it as well. I'm very pleased.

Wify was right to make me wait. It will be a spectacular stock.

Newton's won my thumbs up, despite the initial mistake. :)

srtrax

I just had that feeling they would, I'm glad it's all coming together for you. As soon as you feel safe enough to take off the wax let us in on pictures. Hell im just as excited as you are, maybe more now that there is a mystery a waiting!:) 4'' thick, thats great...........

fisherman66

I can get my full stock out the the prime figured wood without hitting the checks, but I'm thinking of ways to use the leftover scrap wood. I wonder if a rifle would look goofy with crushed turquoise or faux silver in the checking (not the checkering):) . I may very well be able to get another 2 two piece stock out of this.

Just playing with ideas. Any other ways to stretch my walnut wealth?

fisherman66

http://www.banglesandbarrettes.com/pictorialdesc14.html

looking at wood and how inclusions are filled I found this picture. I think it looks really nice. I've never seen anything like it on a rifle though. The oddest thing I have seen is a bullet that was in the stock. Copper would probably look pretty nice too. I plan to use an epoxy finish. If I fill any cracks or inclusions I will epoxy first and then fill the gaps once the stock is fully stable.

srtrax

Well Fish, to each is own, but i could'nt wrap myselfe around the silver and turquoise thing myself.........

But i have thought about making figured boxes for the wife and daughter, because they understand my addiction to this and they are supportive in everything i do in the shop. I owe my wife more than i could ever repay her, she's a keeper of 17 years now.:)

srtrax

Now that i seen the turquise on that thingy, it does look better than what i invisioned. At first i thought pimp:) , but really that looks pretty good!

fisherman66

Onyx, lapis, crushed pearl, or copper might give less of a frilly look. I'm hoping the burl comes out flaw free, but I'm coming up with a plan to make to best of it if it doesn't and use all the remaining scrap wood. I've filled inclusions with wood dust and superglue before, and it looks fine, but it doesn't look natural. It looks like plastic.

(I'm secretly looking for an excuse to get busy on the project. I'm having a hard time letting it sit to let it acclimate to my humid environment. I should be ashamed of myself.)

srtrax

Don't be ashamed :your only human, and you have good taste, good taste cost money and requires more time on a project.
After this Ruger project, i have several mausers i want to do and have two nice dry turkish blanks ready, but i have one i bought from Northcoast Hardwoods that will require at least another 1 1/2 years to dry, bought it fresh cut. It is Claro with full feather figure in the butt and straight as an arrow in the grip forward.I see it there hanging everyday and want to get it down and play, but i know better, but i still want to....So i know what you mean. I'm still waiting too, because i would like to see your blank!

srtrax

attachment.php

Barrel blank showed up today, Think i'll keep cal. a mystery for now.

Last edited:

fisherman66

Wow that's pretty. Did you inlet for the skeleton grip cap, or did GAGS? Will you have the barrel turned down to Ruger contour?

I think I'm going with a Neider style for both grip cap and plate.

srtrax

No, i asked them to leave a little extra wood for grip cap, i inletted the cap and the Dakota sling stud myself. The barrel will be machined for a full octogon with a quarter rib and front sight, with a place for Tally detach scope mounts,as soon as i get my indexing head jig put together.

I think the Neider cap and plate is the perfect combo for what you are doing. You going with a solid or skeleton plate, skeleton with insides checkered is pure sex :D .