Ruger #1

fisherman66

Are you doing the machining of the barrel? I'd love to see some pictures of other customs you have done..

I think I'm going with solid Neider with checking on the steel. I'd like to get the white pieces and have them arsenic/nitre blued (fire blue) or case colored, but budget will probably force me to go with factory blue.

I've got a long way to go. Checkering is going to cost an arm at least.

srtrax

This will be my first octogon, all other bbls. were done on the lathe and round. Got tired of round bbls. so bought a bigger mill to do this with.Still have he lathe and a table top mill. I do have some pictutes of other guns but they where taken with an old 110 camera. Don't have a clue how to get them here, after all it took to get the understanding of loading digital pictures...Just ask Mal H:p :D .

fisherman66

Geeze, your pretty self sufficient. I'm excited to see the results. I hope you take a few "production" pictures so we can see it in progress.

srtrax

I went to 2yrs. of gunsmithing school, at one time had a store front on the main drag for 5 yrs. Got kind of burned out and gave it up for awhile, but the rifle building is something i cant get out of my blood, so after i get a few of my wants out of the way i may start doing it for others. I'm kind of setting myself up for something to do, if and when i retire. I'm in no hurry, putting the peices together a little at a time, when a $ happens to come by! Been at it now for almost 24 yrs. My job is a cnc machinist, and i work 2 on and 2 off, so i get some time to play that way.When i leave there parking lot, i've already put em out of my mind, and i get a paycheck every 2 weeks from them. It's not a 24 hour worry like owning your own place:) thats what boss are for! If you read this and your a boss, you must have wanted it .:D Dont get me wrong im a good hand, i just leave out all the worry stuff.:p

fisherman66

Well, I got impatient and dewaxed. I have polyed the exposed wood. I will need to sand that off in preparation for sending it in to GAGS (what an acronym). As you can see it's a large chuck of wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

srtrax

Looks like a winner to me! You found the sweet spot in this peice for the action. It has a really nice flow through the grip, i've seen Turkish and claro with this type figure go for big bucks! I had GAGS do the 3 panel forend, thought if i didnt like it i'd trim it off. I like it so its staying on. ( bottom panel and the 2 side panels ) Very NICE!!!, keep us updated on everything, Your on your way to owning a very nice Ruger #1 ...Great project, Outstanding wood! :)

srtrax

Thats real close to what i'm looking for, i like the golds and the diffrent shades of blule. Where did you come up with this one, or did it say who did the casehardening.

srtrax

Yep, Dougy done that, he does the best in the industery. The schuetzen just doesnt look right unless its on a period gun, i mean it is diffrent a nicely done, untill you look at the scope base and it looks to be a alum. weaver type base.:barf:
BUT, did you take a look at the buttstock, im guessing that your stock is going to look a lot like it!:)

srtrax

The engraving on the lever looks diffrent than what is on the reciever, like 2 diffrent people did the job. It does have that H&H styling to it and it has the H&H price tag. I question that the engraver is Lynton McKenzie, of all engravers he is the BEST, ive oooh and ahhhd over his stuff for a long time,even have a tape on him teaching the art.

fisherman66

There's just something that doesn't fit with that one. The wood isn't a quite a match from forearm to buttstock, and the buttstock is flush with the metal, but the forearm is not. The glass is not European (yet it's H&H engraved?). I don't understand why H&H would engrave another maker's rifle. The underlever and receiver bottom engraving is of good coverage, but the sides are simple to almost plain. I'd expect a little fancier checkering. It's a pretty piece, but I just don't think it's H&H. I could be wrong. I like the scope rings.

555380_ruger_02l_fw.jpg

555380_ruger_08l_fw.jpg

555380_ruger_03l_fw.jpg

srtrax

Wow, the one side of the buttstock is out of sight, and i akso like the scope rings. What the ell is on the end of the barrel, under the front sight, if that AINT an eye sore i dont know what is! Looks as if it was thrown together, think the guy that done the trading to cabelas might have had a silver tounge!:) Would have got back sooner but had to get my little buttstock to bed last night, for work...:barf:

fisherman66

I've never heard of Hagn Actions. They are pricey. The raffle rifle is certainly worth a walnut or two as long as there's no falsetto. I like how the action carries down through the pistol grip and the French fitting. 1:4000 @ $20 or $80,000 whew!

This one is built on a Dakota 10 action and was raffled 3 years ago.

ACGG20-E.jpg

srtrax

Serious guns, serious money! I've always liked the Hagn, and go to there web page to do some wishful thinking, and try to keep up with the ACGG. I've thought about becoming a member, but at 75.00 for a news letter is a bit much. I'd love to go to one of there conventions just to see what the top rifle makers are putting out in person, i have a weakness for this sort of thing. If i push myselfe, maybe i could join the ranks...:D ...like that will ever happen, but it's something to strive for, to make each new project better than the last. The persuite of perfection, or is it...ZOOM,ZOOM,ZOOM:)

fisherman66

I'm developing that weakness. I couldn't imagine putting the type of hours into engraving something like that last picture. I enjoy looking at file work done to knifes. I wonder how file work like that would look on the Ruger quarter rib.

View12.jpg