Roomate and gun box access

Shadi Khalil

Money and material things are not more important to me than those who are close to me. I make this comment because I know, love and trust the people I call friends.

Again, well put.

He is a friend not an aquaintence. I've lived with people in the past who i didnt know that well and would never allow them access to my gun box.

XD40Tac

If he is so trustworthy and such a good friend the why did you ask a bunch of people you don't know on the internet?

gkent032

Hi BBrian,

Frightened of the legal system? Hardly ... the question was with regard to lending a personal defense weapon to another (non-immediate family). If you are okay with that, go for it. You are welcome to hand your guns out as you please.

A personal friend … no, this was for a roommate with whom he’d become friends.

Here is a thought. When your friend is being sued and he sees an opportunity to pass the liability along to you ... well, we'll see how good of a friend he really is. It is amazing how self-preserving people become when their livelihood is at stake.

Your loyalty to your "friend" is admirable, however, misplaced in this case.

If this is for a real friend, why do you feel you are obligated to take a big liability risk to prove it? Wouldn't you put your family and their needs first? Would a true friend ask you to take such a risk, or, would they go out and spend a few hundred dollars to purchase their own weapon for personal defense.

Respectfully, your reasoning makes no sense.

Regards.

oystermick

"Money and material things are not more important to me than those who are close to me. I make this comment because I know, love and trust the people I call friends.

Again, well put.

He is a friend not an aquaintence. I've lived with people in the past who i didnt know that well and would never allow them access to my gun box. "

Then do what you will, give your friend the key; In fact, you should give your trusted friend access to your bank account and credit cards just in case he runs a bit short of money.
Your mind is made up so why did you even ask?

Shadi Khalil

A personal friend … no, this was for a roommate with whom he’d become friends.

Wrong, known him since i was a kid.

If he is so trustworthy and such a good friend the why did you ask a bunch of people you don't know on the internet?

I know what im gonna do, just like half the "what should i buy post" people.

I thought this was a place for disscussions? This seems to be a good one considering all the people weighing in. Without these topics we are left to bickering about locks on guns and "my gun is better than your gun" pissing matches.

DMK

DMK - This is no longer the "Good ole USA" as your signature line indicates. The well intentioned and the law abiding get screwed every day. Wake up.
Like I said. I only know my situation, not yours. I know what I would do.

Obviously, there are some seriously jaded folks here.

saskuach

Speaking as someone who's had a gun stolen by a roommate - don't do it. There is absolutely no reason he can't have his own. He can buy a Hi Point if he's that broke. My first pistol cost $120 and I got it while I was a college student working nights.

No reason he should have access to your guns when you're not there.

A1A

Might I suggest that you Google the topic:

Man Shoots Roommate ...:eek: At least make him use his own!

That will pretty much finish this discussion....by the way first post, glad to be here and no you cannot have the key to the safe!

sholling

I wouldn't. I don't loan guns to friends that I've known for 30 years. They can shoot them with me at the range but only when I'm there to supervise.

bcrash15

I don't know if it will be too useful for defense if someone's breaking in and he has to go to your room and retrieve it from the locked safe first. That might take too long. If it was a real concern, I would also recommend him getting his own that he could secure as he saw fit for quick access.

It's a hard call. I wouldn't be able to make it unless I was exactly in your shoes. While I wouldn't really want to, I would consider letting him have access and possibly grant it if I was absolutely convinced it was necessary and the guy was responsible. Speaking from experience, my last roommate I was living with for 2 years, known him for 4 and he never even knew I had a gun in the apartment. I considered telling him, just so he would know, but never did. The last few months I lived with him (moved out due to work re-location) I think he's was starting to become depressed or something due to stress, and was acting weird. All I know is that I was glad that he didn't know about it at that point. Just goes to show that people can change and not always for the better.

Buzzcook

Take him to a pawn shop and buy him a $100 no name shooter.
Keeps him away from your guns and gets him buying ammo that you can share.

kristop64089

Don't do it, It's Not worth it.

Long story short:
10 years ago I "gavw access" to a friend, a small pistol(amt backup) because he was working in a bad area. He borrowed it and lost it all in one day.
I report it stolen, and 6 mos later it was found in the hands of a drug dealer. If I hadn't CMA I'd be in a world of hurt right now.

shortwave

for those of you talking about not selling your friends out or the cost of what will happen if roommate has to defend himself with your gun, i think the original question teifman1948 had WAS ABOUT LEGAL RAMIFICATIONS if he gives key and this happens. apparently teifman1948 is concerned with those LEGAL ramifications and what it will cost him or he wouldn`t have asked the question. more than likely will be legal ramifications especially in civil suit. wouldn`t do it but if i did take on that responsibility than i would also assume the responsibility of making sure he was well educated in self defense shooting. lots of difference in plinking at range and combat situation. GOODLUCK.

The Tourist

DMK said:
Money and material things are not more important to me than those who are close to me.

There is no doubt in my mind that you truly mean what you say--now.

Consider the friendships lost when two pals start a company and go into business together. And that's just cash, not injury or the taking of human life.

Being tied to a crime might end in more losses than just cash and your good name. You could do jail time, wind up a felon and lose many of your freedoms under law. And as always, the civil suit will follow.

If you're the roommate who has all of the money for toys, you are probably also the roommate with "deep pockets."

So, let's look at your life after the dust settles.

I doubt that you would do serious time behind bars, but if a life is taken you might. So let's figure the jury saw you as a "nice guy" and decided to give you a break.

Doing 18 months at a country club with 5 years probation sounds about right. Maybe your boss will keep your job open. Maybe some of your old co-workers will even want you back. Try not to be too offended if someone smirks and asks you if you met "anyone special" while you were locked up.

About fifteen years ago Ayoob said that defending yourself in court--even for a good shooting--would cost 25,000 dollars. Working with many attorneys over the years leads me to believe that was a lowball rate even then. With a loss of life, my associates would bill you 100,000 to 200,000 dollars. And there would be a huge retainer paid up front.

One big reason is that a good attorney would try to get you tried separate and distinct from your roommate. After all, how does the court and the DA know, believe or understand you weren't a willing participant?

Why that's an easy answer. They try your butt in court.

So, you do the 18 on your head, your parents take out a second mortgage to cover the attorney's fees and you find a cushy job at the Jiffy-Lube to support yourself. Well, there goes college, and your ability to own firearms, and your right to vote, and the luxury to travel without calling your PO, or run for office...

Just about the time that you actually enjoy cat food on pumpernickel, the dead guy's bereft family sues you in civil court for damages. With your luck, they are a townie family, and one of the sisters sues you for loss of consortium.

Okay, you weather that storm and get the attachments paid off in 30 years. You are now a minimum wage, totally broke ex-con, starting over at the age of 57 years old.

You run into your old roomie at a Starbucks on your daily pilgrimage for day-old bread. Oh, BTW, his dad knew a senator who got his charges kicked. He spent one year "red shirted" off of the rowing team before he and Buffy bought a home in The Hamptons.

I'd like to be there when you hug your long lost pal in the spirit of fellowship and human understanding. What a beautiful, albeit, tearful reunion that's going to be.

shortwave

tourist, what a wonderful but also very realistic scenario. when you really put things in perspective and think about possible consequences , i guess some of the ideas on this topic don`t sound to jaded after all. well put.;)

The Tourist

shortwave said:
some of the ideas on this topic don`t sound to jaded

That was my intention. My home town of Madison has lots of college students and their roommates, and we have problems with parties, drugs and police raids. Recently such action and the police involvement was on our local TV.

Our assumption here, (and never assume), is that you the gun-owner will always be perceived as the innocent good guy. If the police came to a party in your town, raided the apartment, and found under-age drinkers, cocaine, firearms, half-dressed co-eds and this one boy in the background who claimed to be innocent, how do you think the rest of his evening might go?

So now our scenario is worse. We are debating the use of a firearm without the owner's immediate knowledge and consent.

C'mon, I know how to tell the whopper of a tall-tale myself, but even I would slip the bracelets on that doofus.

XD40Tac

DMK: You must be caught in a time warp or live so far out in the sticks that you don't get any news if you think only "Seriously jaded" people are responding to his question about legality of giving access to a firearm. But then again, you are a Tarheel, the place where people who failed to make a go if it in Virginia were sent. :D