Roomate and gun box access

Curtis(USAF)

If I was in your shoes....

I'd give him access to my weapons only for the purpose of training him in the proper use and maintenance of weapons. Then, since he's a good friend, I'd throw him a loan for the acquisition of his own weapons. If he thinks he needs a gun for self Defense in the home, a good used 12 guage and a box of shells won't cost more then 200-300 bucks total.

Pahoo

Joe the Redneck + 1

Really do not understand why you would even consider it as potentially there are all kinds of things that could go wrong for you. Aside from that, why is his security your problem? If you want to help him, better if you just "Legally" sell him one of yours. More than once, I have loaned a firearm to a friend and have lived to regret it. A buddy of mine once wanted to try out one of my guns with a Red Dot and when I asked him how he liked it, he said it was fun and his kids and their neighbor kids got a kick out of it as well. :confused: :confused:
NUFF SAID!!!
Be safe !!!

hikingman

Errr......another take besides handing him a key. While you're giving him the reoccuring 'talk' about Self Defense and understanding what it means, and why he should consider a similar purchase-you might choose a secure/nearby location for the key, and make him very aware of the 'where' without handing a key to him. This limits your exposure somewhat, and places a definite action on his removing the key and placing it into the lock for SD purposes-offering him a good measure of protection.

You have considered the safety of others around you, and not just yourself! Of course, if you sell him his choice of the two, you can buy a new handgun, and you can both be improved! :D

chris in va

Bad idea.

He needs to get his own firearm and safe. Sorry.

I'm sure your friend/roommate is just fine. Problem is, he could be handling one of your firearms one day when you're gone and accidentally set it off due to his lack of training. Heck, could happen anyway no matter how trained you are. As the authorities show up due to a call from a neighbor, they'll be wanting to know why he had posession of your firearm.

The Tourist

I don't even let people use my jackknife, why would I let someone else use one of my firearms?

Besides liability--a biggee no doubt--there's the issue of safety and respect for property. No one takes care of your stuff better than you yourself can do.

bbrian

What is the downside? He takes your gun, robs a 7-11 and kills the clerk? I have a feeling that if he wanted to do that, he could have broken into your gun box by now and done this.

If he is a friend who you trust, why would you not afford him the opportunity to defend himself? I know there are legal concerns, but if he’s that untrustworthy, then you probably shouldn’t live with him in the first place.

I’d encourage him to get his own gun, but in the meantime, you should let him use your guns if needed.

Last edited:

Shadi Khalil

If he is a friend who you trust, why would you not afford him the opportunity to defend himself? I know there are legal concerns, but if he’s that untrustworthy, then you probably shouldn’t live with him in the first place

Mods, Please del.

Thanks.

Shadi Khalil

If he is a friend who you trust, why would you not afford him the opportunity to defend himself? I know there are legal concerns, but if he’s that untrustworthy, then you probably shouldn’t live with him in the first place

Thats how i feel. If i had any doubt about what he might do, i wouldnt even consider it. If i thought he was someone i wouldnt trust around guns I'd never keep guns in the house or probably opt. not to live with him.

DMK

If he is a close and trusted friend, I would allow him acess to my guns but I would make sure he knows how to operate them then I would try to persuade him to get one of his own.
+1

I'd feel terrible if a friend of mine was hurt or killed while my handgun, which could have saved him, was locked up nearby and inaccessible. I'm not going to sell out a friend to CYA in case some shyster lawyer wants to come after me.

Folks here question you giving him access to it, but then recommend you sell it to him or convincing him to buy his own? :confused:

Either the guy is trustworthy or he's not. He can't be more trustworthy with his own gun that he is with yours. :rolleyes:

Shadi Khalil

"Folks here question you giving him access to it, but then recommend you sell it to him or convincing him to buy his own?

Either the guy is trustworthy or he's not. He can't be more trustworthy with his own gun that he is with yours.
"

Well put DMK.

gkent032

Never loan out your pistol, even if you deem your roommate trustworthy.

Let’s assume your roommate uses the weapon legally to defend himself, and that the BG was injured, not killed. Even if your roommate was cleared by the DA, BG’s family could still file a civil law suit.

As soon as attorneys determine that the gun is not your roommates buy yours, your a** is toast. Your name will be added to the civil suit so fast your head will spin.

You will need to hire an attorney to defend yourself, one that specialized in these types of civil suits. Regardless of whether you are successful defending yourself or not, it is going to cost you some serious dollars. I have been involved several law suits. Be prepared to start out with 15-20K attorneys’ fees just to establish a defense. If the case goes to trial, count on $100K minimum.

Also consider, how would you feel about putting a case like this in front of a jury. How would you feel if they ruled against you?

Now ask yourself … how would I feel if I had to cough up that kind cash? Then make your decision.

gkent032

a thought ... this would be a good question to ask a cop. Civil suits against cops are not uncommon ... better yet, ask the attorneys that defend these type of cases.

bbrian

There are some things in life worse than a lawsuit.

If you are frightened of an irrational legal system, best to get rid of your guns and let the criminals do as they please - to you, your friend, and your family.

Lord knows your friend isn’t worth the dollar figures being tossed out here.

Shadi Khalil

yeah, when it comes to my friends, especially people i've known over ten years, i tend to not think about legal ramifications and so on.

DMK

Let’s assume your roommate uses the weapon legally to defend himself, and that the BG was injured, not killed. Even if your roommate was cleared by the DA, BG’s family could still file a civil law suit.

As soon as attorneys determine that the gun is not your roommates buy yours, your a** is toast. Your name will be added to the civil suit so fast your head will spin.
Let's say one of your friends gets killed by someone breaking in and your gun was within arms reach, but locked up? Oh, but at least you didn't get sued and you still have your money to help you sleep at night.

Sorry, I'd trade being in debt for the rest of my life to save the life of one of my friends.

The Tourist

DMK said:
Sorry, I'd trade being in debt for the rest of my life to save the life of one of my friends.

This is an easy comment to make since you're not actively being sued, losing your home or risking the attachment of your wages for a lifetime.

If a 'friend' of mine took one of my knives, killed anyone no matter what the circumstances, and endangered me, the courts would be the last of his worries.

You do not suck your friends into your petty little problems.

If you have enemies, then buy your own weapons, get your butt to a dojo, apply for insurance, find new friends, obtain more secure doors and windows, move from the area, or contact the authorities.

I have made a promise to protect my associates--that's my willful contribution. But I have not authorized any friend to abscond with my personal property--capable of taking a life--and act in ways endangering my life, my welfare or my freedom.

Trust me, I would throw such a 'friend' to the dogs, myself.

XD40Tac

Virginia Law

Have taken several classes in Virginia in the last six months. You are responsible for your guns. If they are used improperly you could find yourself with legal problems, both criminal and civil.

You need to ask how well do you really know this guy? How good a friend is he? Friendship usually dries up quickly when legal issues arise.

I'd take him to the range, but tell him to buy his own guns if he feels the need to protect himself.

DMK

This is an easy comment to make since you're not actively being sued, losing your home or risking the attachment of your wages for a lifetime.
Money and material things are not more important to me than those who are close to me. I make this comment because I know, love and trust the people I call friends.

From your post, it sounds like you do not. Maybe you would be wise not to do the same things I would for my friends. I don't know your situation, only mine.

XD40Tac

DMK - This is no longer the "Good ole USA" as your signature line indicates. The well intentioned and the law abiding get screwed every day. Wake up.