Researching a Single Action Revolver (.45 Long Colt). Need help/advice.

AraneaeFatalis

So for a while now I have been trying to figure out what my next gun was going to be. I'm not a fan of double-action triggers and I have always loved single-action revolvers, specifically the Colt Single Action Army.

I've been looking and trying to do some research on different revolvers and the ones I have been looking into more are the Uberti Single Action Cattleman, the USFA New Rodeo II and the New Ruger Vaquero.

At first I was wanting a gun that could handle hot loads, but now I don't really care either way. I am also stuck between whether to get a 4.75" barrel or a 5.5" barrel. I don't know which of these I picked are better than the other, or if there is something better in my price range.

Here's some criteria I have, and I shall add more as I think of it:
  1. Single Action, .45 Long Colt
  2. I would like to spend around $500-$700 but if it is a bit more for a much better gun, I'd be willing to save longer.
  3. No barrel larger than 5.5" and no smaller than 4.5"
  4. Fixed sights, I don't want adjustable sights on it.. Stupid, I know, but it is my preference.
  5. Will eventually be using it for Conceal Carry, but it will be primary vehicle carry also
  6. I'd like something with decent accuracy, something I can target shoot and also keep for snakes, wild boars, etc for hunting
  7. Tough and reliable, it won't be abused, but I don't want something that the finish will get messed up easily
  8. I want it to have some sort of hammer safety, unlike the originals, ie.. I don't want to have to keep an empty chamber for the hammer to sit on.

Sorry for the long post, and if I left any details out as to help everyone help me, then let me know. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SundownRider

Sounds like you're looking for a Ruger Vaquero Stainless. Seems to fit all your requirements and would be within your price range.

As for your choice of caliber, I hope you reload.

AraneaeFatalis

A Vaquero was my first choice, then I found the USFA (which I think is a colt clone, so you have to load five up and put the hammer on the empty chamber), not sure about Uberti as I never heard of them until today.

And no, I don't reload. I take it .45LC is not cheap, but that doesn't matter much to me.

FALacy

The Ruger will never weat out. They are made very well and Ruger has amazing customer service. It will hold up to the hottest loads, and looks great too.

Slamfire

I want it to have some sort of hammer safety, unlike the originals, ie.. I don't want to have to keep an empty chamber for the hammer to sit on.

That knocks out any USFA. Colt clones, including the Colt SAA, don't have hammer blocking safeties or transfer bars.

Ruger has a safety, sounds like it is for you.

If you want hot, find an older Vaquero. Same frame as the Blackhawk.

I had one, it was heavy, traded it off. But if you are going through a Magnum phase, that is the one you want.

AraneaeFatalis

I've been reading ever since I posted and I'm curious as to what exactly the 'four clicks' thing is?

Also, I found American Western Arms has some SAA Clones also. As far as the Blackhawk, I don't like adjustable sights, I like the fixed sights of the old revolvers, sorry I didn't mention that. I'll fix my main post. Also, I see that AWA has an octagonal barrel revolver, are these tougher than a standard barrel, ie will they handle hot loads?

I thought about finding an older Vaquero, but I hear they weight more too, I'd prefer a lighter gun, which is why I would settle for not using hot loads (as I doubt I would need them in most situations)

FlyFish

I've been reading ever since I posted and I'm curious as to what exactly the 'four clicks' thing is?

A true Colt SAA action makes four audible clicks as the hammer is cocked. One is the loading notch, another is a so-called "safety" notch (which isn't much of a safety), another is full cock. I can't remember what the other is.

James K

Member In Memoriam
There actually are five clicks, but you might not hear them all - 1) the trigger passing the safety notch, 2) the trigger passing the half-cock notch, 3) the cylinder bolt coming up against the cylinder, 4) the cylinder bolt dropping into the cylinder notch, 5) the trigger dropping into the full cock notch. In a properly tuned SAA, the cylinder bolt will drop just as the hammer strikes the backstrap, so that there is no pressure on the bolt after it drops into the cylinder notch. If this is not done, the full force and leverage of the hammer forces the cylinder against the bolt.

Jim

w_houle

I know this will tend to ruffle feathers, as someone is bound to call it's hammer block "questionable"...
http://www.impactguns.com/store/344880.html
It's SAA, .45 Colt, 4" barrel, and a birdhead grip for ease of concealment. It's an Uberti Cattleman. It has a quarter cock notch that engages a hammer block. Just make sure to nudge the hammer forward to fully engage it when you quarter cock it. I never had problems with mine. It's also available in .357 in case you might like a different cartridge :)

Crunchy Frog

I started shooting CAS this year and recently purchased a pair of Rugers in .357 caliber. Rugers are rock solid but the traditionally styled revolvers are nice, too.

Since you want to carry six rounds safely, you want a gun with transfer bar ignition. In addition to the Ruger, you may want to look at the Beretta Laredo single actions. They are made by Uberti (which is owned by Beretta) so has the traditional appearance but has a transfer bar ignition so it's the best of both worlds, in a way. They also make some short barrel birdhead grip models that would work for concealed carry.

Check out CDNN Sports for deals on the Berettas.

Jim March

OK. My daily carry CCW piece is a Ruger New Vaquero in 357Mag, 4.68" barrel, moderately heavy modifications. It's literally my daily companion, and my only centerfire gun, period. Yeah, you read that right.

All Rugers made after 1973 have a "transfer bar safety". This is the best and safest revolver safety around. The hammer cannot hit the firing pin due to the hammer's shape. A piece of metal comes up between the hammer and firing pin when you pull the trigger fully back - this "transfer bar" transfers the energy of the hammer to the firing pin. If there's no finger on the trigger, the gun is totally inert. Can't go bang if the hammer is slammed or the gun is dropped in any way. 100% safe for full-up carry.

Other "transfer bar SAs" that I know of:

* Taurus Gaucho - now discontinued, had hideous quality control issues. AVOID.

* Beretta "Stampede" series - not bad, made in the same factory as Uberti (which Beretta owns) but has a transfer bar ignition. Under heavy use, isn't as tough as a Ruger according to the cowboy action shooting crowd.

* Freedom Arms '97 series - SUPERB guns, prices start around $1,300ish and go WAY up from there. Droolworthy quality and accuracy. The six-shot 357 variant is the best :). Available with fixed or adjustable sights. Looks the least "Colt clone-like" in this class.

So here's why you want a Ruger NewVaq if you're going to go with fixed sights:

* Can be modified easily with parts from the rest of the Ruger product line. Mine wears a SuperBlackhawk hammer which lowers the hammer reach to a point where strong-hand-cocking is easier. Turns out this is also the same level of "reach" found on a USFA Rodeo or a real Colt made before WW2. Colts made after the war (2nd/3rd/4th-gen) have higher hammers and that's what the NewVaq cloned with the standard hammer. Put an SBH hammer on it and while it won't look quite like something Wyatt Earp might have carried, it will actually feel like it :). You can also swap grip frames to seriously change the feel in any of several directions, etc.

* Tough as nails.

* Actually loads and unloads faster than the traditional Colt/USFA/Uberti style action. In a real Colt SAA or true clone, bringing the hammer to half-cock allows the loading gate to open and the load/unload drill to start. Once it's full and the loading gate is closed, you must then bring it to full-cock and then back down if you're not going to shoot it right away. With a Ruger, the hammer stays fully down during the unload/reload cycle - just open the loading gate which locks the hammer and trigger while unlocking the cylinder. It's a faster and safer system (can't "go off half cocked" as there's no half cock hammer position).

* The New Vaquero was the first Ruger SA to be build on the "mid-size frame" similar to a Colt SAA since 1973. It was also the first Ruger to use a new cylinder production system whereby all the bores are done one at a time with the same bit/reamer set instead of being drilled "all at once" like the original Vaquero large-frame and other older large-frame Ruger SAs. The new process gives you uniform bores and superb accuracy, better on average than anything Italian and better than most of the older larger series (until those were all changed to the new process too starting around 2006).

What else...

IF you were going to go with adjustable sights, there's other very interesting Rugers you might consider:

* The 50th Anniversary 357 Flattop Blackhawk. Unlike most other "Blackhawks" (meaning adjustable sight in Ruger-speak) it's built on the same mid-size platform as the NewVaq...it's basically a blue, 4.68" barrel adjustable sighted 357 NewVaq. CDNN Investments is blowing them out for about $400, a spectacular deal.

* The same gun as above is also sold as a 44Spl, you choice of either 4.68" or 5.5" barrels. There's also a special distributor run of stainless variants from Lipsey's.

* Ruger just came out with an EIGHT SHOT Blackhawk SA in 327Magnum. Stainless, built on the large frame, 5.5" barrel, adjustable sights. From this length barrel the 327 round has some serious ballistics going on - see also:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-327s.htm

Unfortunately you'd need to reload to get enough 327 ammo, but once you do...this is potentially the best combat SA starting point around.

James K

Member In Memoriam
"bringing the hammer to half-cock allows the loading gate to open"

In the "traditional" design the loading gate is completely independent of the hammer/trigger. It is interesting that in the old days, some folks carried a SAA in the belt, opening the loading gate to keep the gun from falling through the waist band.

The Ruger design uses the opening of the loading gate to cam down the cylinder stop for ease of loading. A neat and well thought-out idea.

Jim

pythagorean

The SA New Model Blackhawk was my first bought handgun. That became a lifelong appreciation for the SA revolver.
The Rugers are solid buys.
With the variety of different SAA Colt styles made today there are differences in balance between brands to feel in your hand. The Rugers are heavier and less responsive though tough. Closer SAA Clones are more responsive but perhaps not as durable.
If I was to shoot a lot I'd go Ruger just for longevity. If I was a regular type of gun shooter keeping my paws working a SA now and again I'd look for balance and feel.
I only have Colt SAA revolvers now, .44-40, .32-20, and .22LR/.22WMR.
I've had numerous .45 LCs but they were not as pin point in the accuracy department compared to the .44-40.

Jim March

The mid-frame Rugers mostly solve the "responsiveness" problem. The large-frame are all basically a 44Magnum-class frame although people customize 'em to wilder calibers than that.

The New Vaquero can fit the same holsters as a Colt SAA, and are only a bit heavier for the same caliber and barrel length.

within the new Vaquero there is the Montado model... I lucked upon a pair of consecutive serialed guns... these have the laid back hammer spur & a couple other features added to the new model Vaquero... I don't have any good pics of mine... but I love them... however the barrels are a bit shorter than you specified, but they shoot & handle extremely nice...

attachment.php

however because of that shorter barrel, my extractor rod is just a tad short to fully extract the cases... to fix that problemm Ruger came out with the SASS model... but they were only available in 2 gun sets... but by shopping on line, or around, you may find a single somewhere ???

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroSASS/index.html?r=y

Attachments

• Montado.jpg
    Montado.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,749

Ron Bernert

Just Bought One....

I did a little research, a fair amount of legwork and held at least 10.. Settled on the Ruger New Vaquero in Gloss Stainless in .45LC.. The only one in GS that I had seen was the short barrel, I ordered the 4 5/8 one.. Model 05105 if I remember correctly.. I am in LOVE! It is so pretty that I have shown it off to anyone that will look at it, and some of those people twice!! It shoots like a million bucks, it weighs enough that you could use it for a boat anchor, I shot it in full sunlight so it annoyed the people next to me with it's reflection!! I would HIGHLY SUGGEST the New Vaquero to anyone. If you need to shoot the "Ruger only" loads, get an older Vaquero with the larger frame and cylinder.. If you are near SW Ohio, come over and shoot mine!
Fact is, the Ruger is stronger than most without having to do any special gunsmithing work. It features different internals, you can load 6 instead of 5 due to the transfer bar assembly, etc.. And it's shiny!