Recommendation for Starter Semi-Auto?

Hellbilly5000

My recommendation is that you hold as many guns in your hands as possible.
Find the ones that fit in your hand naturally. Then go shoot the ones that feel natural in your hand and pick the best one of the bunch that you can shoot

Dingoboyx

Get a Glock

But thats coz I luv mine :D

Rent or shoot whatever you can get your hands on, and see what suits your hand.....

Then get a Glock :D

Alamocdc

My wife likes my Sig P226 and shoots it well. I bought her a Sig P2022 for her birthday and she really likes it. And she shoots it well. Light, accurate, low recoil... great pistol for the money.

fridayxiii

What about something w/adjustable backstraps, a firearm that gives you the ability to somewhat size the grip to your hand. The S&W M&P and Beretta Px4 are two that immediately come to mind. Good luck w/your shopping for a new shooter! :)

jfrey

My wife bought herself a Taurus PT111 in 9mm. Easy to operate, good size, accurate enough. If you want something that will feel right and shoot great the first time you pick it up, check out a Browning Hi-Power. Best gun ole JMB ever designed.

Willie Lowman

Now, as much as I love telling people "You should buy a Glock." The OP stated that she does not have very strong hands. I was trying to get my mother to upgrade from the snubby .38 to a Glock 19 but she did not have the strength in her hands to take down the gun or reliably rack the slide.

However I don't know how weak these little fingers in question are. I have seen a few ladies who had trouble operating semi-auto handguns because they had a lifetime of being 'ladylike' and didn't know how to use the strength of their arms.

As far as loading mags, there are a world of "cheaters" out there to help compress the mag springs. www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpage.Exe/showproduct?saleitemid=952670

Sweet reloading tool. That might be a worthwhile investment.

Cornered Cat has some good pointers on racking the slide (techniques that don't require tons of upper-body/arm strength, just know-how), so I think I can get over that eventually. I think more of it is muscular memory than actual muscle building - my hands have never had to do anything similar before, so it will just take time and practice.

I don't know that I'm terribly "ladylike" with my hands, I just have long skinny fingers and wrists with not a lot of muscle bulk to do things with much force. I am sure that will improve with time as it relates to holding/shooting/reloading a semi-auto.

Meanwhile, I will try lots out and report back. :) I admit, Glock is synonymous in my mind with "reliability," which is high on my priority list (someone correct me if that is a mistaken brand-based assumption).

Kyo

Sr9 shoots without worrying about your strength. If you are worried about handling the gun so much stick with 9mm. skip 40 cause they have more kick than 45's. 45's have slightly more kick than 9mm but people swear by it. It is personal preference. The high capacity of a 9mm is attractive to many buyers.

If your range lets you get free rentals try EVERYTHING! great opportunity to see what is comfy in your hand. After trying many 45's I found that the Ruger felt the best and was the most comfortable for me. To each his own. "get a glock" is old and over rated. Find what you like best and grab it and enjoy it.

TheNev

I really dislike it when people assume a Glock is the end-all be-all of semi-autos.

I myself have never handled or shot a Glock that felt right. I think Glocks are the reason for my polymer framed gun hatred.

That's why i bought my CZ P-01. :D

rauke

Ditto for the M&P 9mm!

It has 3 different, interchangeable grip inserts that let you tailor the grip circumference to fit your hand.

The full-sized version has a 17+1 capacity, which should be more than adequate, even for most SD scenarios.

9mm recoil in this gun is very soft and controllable!

Out-of-the-box factory sights are of the 3 white-dot variety, and are quite visible. For defensive purposes, these can be augmented with Crimson Trace laser grips (instinctive activation, with an auxiliary on-off switch).

Just traded my M&P .40 for the softer-shooting M&P 9mm, so I'm speaking from first-hand experience. (The best part, I suppose, is that it looks better than my Glock.)

I understand that the new versions feature a manual safety; I opted for the version that doesn't have one.

Good luck whichever way you decide!

chucksolo69

Ugh!!! Plastic, ugly, hammerless guns................why do they even exist. Glock, no thanks. Sig Pro 2022, now that's a gun to be proud of.

Kyo

hey, I don't have a problem with polymer guns. In fact, if this person says she wants something more controllable, I would say get a polymer! It is in fact lighter.
My polymer 345 is not ugly!

Some look nice and shiny ya know :D

Attachments

• p345 003.jpg
    p345 003.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 44

rsxr22

sig 2022 is a GREAT firearm w/ a very easily moved slide, but if the op's hand is anything like my gf's i dont feel that the gun will fit her.
- check out if possible the hk p2000sk and the m&p. Both guns come with interchangeable backstraps so you can fit the gun to your hand. I personally own a hk p2k in .40 and that is my ccw gun, but it also come in 9mm, i think you would really enjoy it. it is sa/da unlike the striker-fired glocks, xd's, m&p. The slide is easy to rack and its reliable and accurate as hell. they are not that hard to find and run anywhere from 620-750 used( thats all i would pay for one atleast) do not worry about buying used especially guns like previously mentioned they run completely reliable for 10's of thousands of rounds as long as they are cared for properly.
-the m&p i have shot and really enjoyed as well, little bit cheaper price point, and slide is also easy to rack.

Overall, find the gun that fits in your hand and feels like an extension of it. After you've done that then everything else will fall into place, and then soon after you'll be asking us opinions on your 2nd pistol lol :)

allenomics

Test fire a Glock 19 (9mm) at your local range. Excellent trigger pull/distance, durable, good accuracy, excellent price/value.

Dot_mdb

Stilettosixshooter,

I think, based on your original posting that you should consider sticking with a revolver until you can develop the strength to easily handle a semi-auto. While some of the semi-autos can be a little easier they all have to confront the same laws of physics. If the gun is lighter there will be more recoil. The springs have to be a certain weight and it will take enough muscle strength to rack the slide. There are devices that will make mag loading easier so you might not have a problem with that.

You have stated that you currently own a S&W .22 mag. You didn't mention the model but if it is a steel K frame and if you can handle that gun then maybe you should consider getting a similar gun in .38 special. The advantage of the .38 revolver is that it is a decent defensive caliber and you will be able to work all of the controlls. Loading a speedloader is easy compared to loading a mag. If you have trouble with the weight of the double action trigger you can shoot it pretty efficiently in single action mode. .38 revolvers have been popular for over 100 years and they get the job done. I carry one almost every day. If you can learn to shoot a double action revolver well then when the time comes to try a semi-auto you will be well prepared to master that gun.

Bill

Webleymkv

OK, here are a few things to consider:

What size hands do you have? It sounds as though you may have relatively small hands. If that is the case, many of the semi-autos out there may not fit you well. I have found that a gun that doesn't fit your hand well will exaggerate the recoil and make for an unpleasant shooting experience. I would suggest going to a fairly large gun shop and at the very least handling several models (if you can rent them that's even better but many places don't offer that). As far as which models to look for, bear in mind that guns with double-column magazines (the ammunition is stored in two rows staggered side-by-side in the magazine, these guns typically have a capacity of ten rounds or more) will usually have a fatter grip than guns with single column magazines (the ammunition is stored in a single vertical row inside the magazine, these guns usually have a capacity of nine rounds or fewer). Single-stack models in 9mm (just about the lightest recoiling caliber that meets your criteria) include the S&W M39, Beretta 951, certain variations of 1911 such as the Springfield Armory EMP, Sig P225, Sig P239, Walther P5, and Walther PPS (note some of these models are discontinued, but you may be able to find a used one). Models with double-column magazines that still fit small hands relatively well include the CZ-75 and Walther P99.

Action type should be considered as well. There are two basic action types for a semi-automatic: locked-breech short recoil and unlocked blowback. Locked-breech guns lock the barrel to the slide for a fraction of a second to prevent it from cycling until chamber pressures have dropped to a safe level. Unlocked blowbacks rely on slide mass and the weight of the recoil spring to retard the slide sufficiently. Because of this, most blowback guns are chambered for relatively small caliber such as .380, .32 ACP, .25 ACP, and .22LR. There are a few unlocked blowbacks in larger calibers like the Astra 400 and various models of Hi-Point, but these require either very stiff recoil springs or very large and heavy slides to work properly. A locked-breech design allows a significantly lighter recoil spring and slide to be used. Locked breech guns are typically softer shooting for a given caliber and have easier slides to work while blowbacks are usually quite accurate and reliable because of their simplicity.

All else held equal, the heavier a gun is, the less felt recoil you will have. Do not, however, get a gun so large and heavy that it does not fit your hands well.

Finally, to be be perfectly honest there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good revolver for self-defense. A medium-frame S&W revolver in either .38 Special such as a Model 10, 15, 64, or 67 or a .357 Magnum such as a Model 19, 13, 65, or 66 would be a very natural transition as you're already comfortable with S&W's manual of arms. Loaded with light .38 Special target ammunition like 148grn Wadcutters, you will have very light recoil but still a useful amount of power. As you become better able to handle recoil, you can step up to the stouter .38 Special +P ammunition and, depending on the model, .357 Magnum ammunition as you become comfortable to do so.

Not small hands - but long-fingered and thus not very powerful grip.

Again, all good advice. I am still taking notes! :D

Just ran across a post on another forum about trigger weight - specifically, one with a 9 lb. trigger. I believe mine (Model 51 S&W) is only 3.5, which is neither difficult nor easy - what are the typical ranges for semi-autos? I didn't know they could pull that heavy.

I will make a larger caliber revolver my third gun :) Right now, the priority is trying to find something I can purchase, practice with, and then get licensed with - that way, I can carry either (in TX, can carry a revolver with a semi-auto license, but not the other way around).

Many, many thanks for the advice and the patience with my reposting new questions as I think of them!

JohnKSa

Administrator
what are the typical ranges for semi-autos?
That's a hard question. I'll take a shot at it, but these are only rough estimates.

If you take a traditional DA/SA semi-auto, typical single action pulls range from 4 to 8 lbs, typical double action pulls from about 12 to 16lbs.

The striker fired "DAO" pistols usually have trigger pulls that range from 6 to 12 lbs.

If you get an SA semi-auto, the trigger pull can be as low as 3 or 4 lbs but is likely to be around 5 to 6lbs.

There's a lot of individual variation from brand to brand, model to model and even gun to gun, you really need to handle a variety of guns and shoot them if at all possible.