Recommendation for Starter Semi-Auto?

Although I just recently joined the gun community, I am anxious to take the next step and get a second gun :)

I want to practice on and ultimately purchase a small semi-auto, but I am lost about how to go about figuring out what to try.

I currently own and frequently practice on a .22 mag S&W revolver - I love it, but I would prefer to have something with a larger caliber for HD. Also, I want to get licensed to carry either a semi-auto or a revolver, and to do that I'll need to pass the test for at least a .38 semi-auto.

The only semi-autos I have shot are my mom's .380, a friend's Kimber .45, and another friend's S&W .40. The two larger guns are out of the question for now (not enough muscular control yet for the recoil - I am a lady shooter with pretty flimsy hands/wrists. I hope to improve this soon!). The .380 was more comfortable, but I still found it very difficult to load the clip (read: I gave up and went back to shooting my gun), chamber a bullet, and shoot accurately due to the recoil.

With any gun, I know it will take time and practice, plus some excellent instruction - but I am interested in getting advice on a good "starter" semi-auto. My local gun range offers a Ladies Night for cheap shooting and free gun rental - what should I try/buy?

txstang84

...palm a Glock or three :D If you've already had experience shooting a Kimber and a S&W, try out a Glock 9mm...like a 17, 19, or 26...

Put about 100 rounds through it, and see how your wrist feels...if you're still sore, might wanna stick to .380s

Sevens

If recoil is a real concern, then consider the idea of pitting recoil against the size of handgun you feel comfortable with. Because the larger and heavier it is, the better it will handle recoil.

IMO, a full size 9mm, if you can comfortably get your hands around it, is a *****cat with regards to recoil. The smaller and lighter the handgun, the more felt recoil you will typically experience.

I would recommend you try to find the largest 9mm that is comfortable in your hand with no regards whatsoever to it's carryability or concealability. I think if you refine your shooting skills and develop the muscle memory and strength in your hands, wrists, arms and trigger finger, moving to a smaller (and heavier recoiling) pistol will be easier.

9mm is a good choice because it does a fair job of "power" while not recoiling as much as a .40, .45 and up.

Now I said all this because you've specifically stressed "semi-auto." However, I still believe a good 3 or 4-inch barrelled .357 Mag revolver is one of the finest, most useful and versatile handguns in existence. A .357 Mag revolver can handle horribly light .38 Special wadcutter target rounds (powder puff!) and outrageously violent and heavy, hot .357 Magnum thumpers up to 180 grains.

longeyes

A heavier 9mm sounds like a plan. A Beretta 92fs, if not too big for your hand, maybe, or a Browning Hi-Power perhaps. Heavier is easier to shoot, and I think a semi-auto is easier to get good results with. A gun with a hammer will be easier to rack the slide; cock hammer back first.

JWT

You'll get more suggestions / recommendations to consider than you'd imagine. The choice is largely one of personal preferrance and depends what feels right in your hand and how well you can shoot it. A 9mm is a good place to start - the ammo is reasonable (or as reasonable as prices are right now); the recoil is minimal; the selection is almost mind boggling.

Go to a range that has a decent selection available for rent. Handle a few of them, rent the one's you're interested in and shoot them. Then make a decision based on actual experience shooting the potential gun of your choice.

Dubs

What peetza said, more specifically this:

http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/tryongun.aspx

Fire em if you can, otherwise do as much research as you can before you buy, hold em, get a feel for trigger, so forth... and yeah, definitely try a heavier 9mm to absorb recoil and look for a real comfortable grip that fills out your hand. Some of the thinner backstraps feel awkward to me.

Lost Sheep

Well there's your answer

Free gun rental????

There's your answer right there. Try them all.

Personal preferences abound about action types (SA, DAO, DA/SA, Glock's "Safe Action") with and without manual safeties. I figure all are good once you get used to it, handle it properly.

The trick is to find a gun that you can shoot well. Only you can do that by trying them out.

Double action only is probably safest, but probably hardest to shoot well, but if you can do it, more power to you.

SA (like the Browning/Colt 1911 pattern) is the easiest to shoot well (for most folks).

What is it you have now? In the meantime try the heck out of every gun you can rent, borrow or get loaned to you by fellow shooters. Eventually you will find one that REALLY FITS. Until then, don't be in a hurry.

There're your answers.

Lost Sheep.

(Asking others to select a gun for you is like asking others to select a spouse. Asking others the logic behind their choices is -in my opinion- the smarter way to go)

Stiletto, I seem to running across your posts on almost every visit. And answering most of them. You ask good questions. Keep up the good work.

txstang84

I gave my wife a Taurus PT 111 for our anniversary-she loves it...lightweight, small, 9mm-very controllable for her. Of course, she also likes my Glock 23, but has similar issues with loading the magazines more than 10 rounds, and recoil. The more I watched her as she loaded and cycled it, the more it looked like operation of the slide wasn't so much about strength as it was about technique-granted there's not much to it; grasp, pull back, release; but, it looked as though she was putting her whole shoulder into it.

...just an observation though...

However, Sevens makes an excellent point-if you prefer a wheelgun-stick with them-a .357 of nearly any flavor will probably be more up your alley. There are literally TONS from which to choose, and as stated, .38 Special is perfect for plinking and practice duty, then move onto the .357 Mag for familiarization and defense. There is a...we'll call it pronounced difference between .38, and .357 when you fire them, but not so much that you can't control it I would think.

There is another caliber which comes to mind simply because of a recent article I read. It's called .327 Federal Magnum...it's like .357's little ticked off brother. The write up showed good ballistics, and very manageable recoil. There is a downside though, .327 Fed Mag doesn't have near the following of .357, therefore, nowhere near as much selection. But, the Charter Arms revolver they tested was somewhere around $400 I believe.

If a semi is still what you'd like to give a shot-I'm still with taking a look at a Glock 19 or 26...or possibly even a PT111. Someone will probably mention a S&W M&P 9C...also likely a good potential choice.

I wish you the best of luck finding something that fits your criteria!

Niner4Tango

stilettosixshooter, Yay for you!

It was said before, and it's counter-intuitive but true: a larger (longer barrel) heavier gun will have less felt recoil, less muzzle flip and the slide will be easier to rack. Try the longer barreled guns first and don't be intimidated by their appearance. They are easier to shoot and manipulate. Once you get some more trigger time you will feel better with the compact pistols. Stay with 9mm or less, there is always time later to work up to .45 or even .40.

So: XD9 ( and XDm9!) service size M&P9, Glock 17 will have an easier recoil than the XD9 Subcompact, M&P9c or the Glock 19 or 26. Also the recoil spring will be more linear so it's easier to rack the slide all the way back

And, check out Cornered Cat!

JohnKSa

Administrator
The Ruger P95 is an option for you to consider. They're quite reasonably priced in addition to being durable, reliable, and easy to operate.

My wife, in spite of some issues with hand strength and low recoil tolerance finds it a very easy gun to shoot and operate but doesn't care much for it because it doesn't appeal to her aesthetically.

Another decent option (but pricier) is the Beretta PX4 in 9mm.

amprecon

Please don't discount Bersa, for the money they are a great buy, this is a Thunder 9 UC (Ultra Compact). It feels great, shoots great and packs 13 rounds.

attachment.php

ir3e971

Smith 5906

I think a SW 5906 would be an excellent starter semi.

All steel (soaks up recoil)
S&W quality
High capacity
Novak Sights
Reasonably priced (300 bucks) as Law Enforcement trade in.
Extremely reliable and proven , I have one, and I cant get the thing to jam.

Check at Summitgunbroker.com. They have them in stock right now. That is where I got mine.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/S_W_5906_SH.html

woad_yurt

If you can try out (rent or borrow) some first, do that.

My two cents:
For a first semi-auto, let me recommend a 9X18 Makarov: medium recoil, cheap ammo (usually,) accurate, dead-solid reliable and so simple to clean and maintain. Very carry-able, too.

Note: I refer to a Makarov pistol, not just any pistol chambered for 9X18.

All. Great. Info. You guys are fabulous, and I'm thrilled to be a part of this forum. I cannot thank you enough.

I'm taking notes on the recommendations and will bring them with me to the range when I go to rent. The rationale is more what I was looking for, and I appreciate all the thoughtful, well-reasoned responses.

Stiletto, I seem to running across your posts on almost every visit. And answering most of them. You ask good questions. Keep up the good work.

Lost Sheep, I appreciate and admire your answers :) I plan to have many more questions - as a complete gun novice, there are a million things to learn and I want to know as much as possible (I promise to try to keep redundant posts to a minimum, as well). I love my new hobby, and I can't believe the wealth of information that folks like you offer on boards like this one!

PS - Cornered Cat is amazing. An absolute gold mine of information, especially for lady-specific shooting. I am now confident that I will be able to master racking the slide, something that REALLY kept me from wanting a semi-auto in the first place. Excellent recommendation!