Reasons to get an M-14

44 AMP

Staff
I've had an Hk 91 (the real west German made one), an FAL, and I HAVE an M1A.

Bought used in the early 80s, $500 with scope, mount, several mags, sling, and both plastic and wood stock. Its "rack grade", all GI surplus parts except the receiver. Sadly the best I've been able to do is 1.5MOA 5 shot groups with my handloads, from a kneeling position. Pity that...:D

If you aren't climbing in and out of armored vehicles or Humvees all day, or doing house clearing drills, why bother with the shorter rifles? You don't save all that much weight (and if you are packing 20rnd mags loaded up, what's a few ounces?) and you do lose velocity, and despite the muzzle devices, increased flash. The full length rifle with stock flash suppressor has a tiny flash from its 22" barrel.

To me, the HK isn't quite as good a rifle. Yes, its about 6" shorter than the M1A (rifle) but weighs the same. The trigger on mine was fair, but not as good as my M1A. The safety is not in a position where you can reach it with the shooting hand, without shifting your grip halfway around the pistol grip.

There is no way to close the action, if the spring doesn't fully do it. The charging handle is small, far forward, and not as robust as the op rod handle of the M1A. And as I mentioned, it only works one way. The fluted chamber and roller lock system does work well, BUT, it is a bit ammo sensitive.

Not so much to the power or burn rate of the powder, but to the hardness of the brass. Brass that is too "soft" (yet still within specs) can stick and reduce the reliability of the action. Plus, its rough on the brass. Not a concern for the military, or some shooters, but if you are a reloader, the HK is NOT reloader friendly like the M1A is. The sights are ok, and I was very accurate with the peep holes in the drum rear sight for 2,3,& 400 meters, but could not get the feel for the notch for 0-100 meters. That's just me, and many folks do well with it.

Since I was the in the last class Army trained at USAOC&S on the M14, I have a stong fondness for it. I can use it well, and it just "feels" better than the .308 ARs, FALs, HKs I have had or shot.

Your call, but I would go with the M1A over any of the others, if I was to have just one.

5RWill

I like AR10 and M14. I plan on having both in this life time. Both are going to cost a pretty penny to do what i want with them also.

chadio

I'm no expert on the M14, but I do have a deep affection for the rifle.

In my Navy days, I qualified with the M14 and in the process, I developed a respect for the rifle, the cartridge, peep sights, and off-hand long range shooting (standing, sitting, prone).

However.... (not to sound like a girl:D) after 20 rounds, you just want to set it down and walk away... the recoil is a bit punishing. Keep in mind - back then I was shooting a rifle with a wooden stock and steel buttplate. Trade those for synthetic stock and a recoil-absorbing buttplate, I think there would be just enough of a difference that I could enjoy an afternoon of shooting the M14 again.

Tim R

However.... (not to sound like a girl) after 20 rounds, you just want to set it down and walk away

I will say I believe the M-14 style of rifle does have a little more felt recoil than an M-1 Garand. I have shot many a 88 shot match with a M-14 and felt just fine. But I was younger then and like the recoil of the AR today.

SR420

Pro:

Robust durability by design
Accuracy - can easily be sub MOA
Aftermarket support - many, many options and accessories
Self regulating gas piston system - less cleaning & maintenance
2-stage trigger with trigger shoes for pistol grip use
Outstanding iron sights with many optic solutions
Still used by the US military - innovation continues
Easily suppressed

Con:

The weight is more than some care for
Cost - nothing in the M14 world is cheap
The M14/M1A is highly addictive - you can't get just one

16,18and22.jpg

Mod0-l.jpg

NWCP

I own the M1A Super Match and enjoy the heck out of shooting it. I also have an HK91 and a CZ550 FS. I really like the .308 round and would be happy if I only had one of the three that I own. The M1A (M14) is what I was trained on in the military so the rifle design has some nostalgic appeal to me. They are a well made rifle. Accurate and a pleasure to shoot. JMHO

OJ

I turned 17 in 1943, dropped out of high school (had enough credits to graduate - so diploma was mailed to me the next year) and enlisted as an aviation cadet - ultimately ending up at USMA West Point. Initially issued a 1903 Springfield bolt action (never really liked that action) and well remember how much I loved that new M1 Garand I was issued there. With bayonet fixed (mounted) that was one fine fighting weapon.

Had reservations about the magazine, though - but that was fixed in the M14 - M1A - with the detachable box magazine. Easy maintaining and cleaning, accurate for me anyway, and, I guess I grew up somewhat recoil insensitive - having started in shotguns at about 5 years of age - but, the recoil of the semi-autos seemed significantly less than that '03 bolt rifle.

I usually run through several 10 round mags at the raange - and notice little recoil tenderness - far different from my Winchester 95 in 30-06 - which I'm very fond of in spite of that.

M1AXSGHOSTRINGSIGHTS.jpg

AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

Therealkoop

No there are more accurate platforms in .308, unless you are willing to spend some money to fix it.

He already said he was thinking about a Mini-14.

1930's technology, 1950's technology, whatever. Small arms havnt had enough advancement to matter. There hasnt been many viable innovations at all since like, 1970. People like to tote around tha fact that thier ar is a space rifle future gun, but its still a 60 year old design with some bells attached to it.

tahoe2

Never had one , always wanted one , I have been looking at the Scout Squad version by SA,
as soon as I have the money!!, but I want it in 8mm-08 or 338 Federal; now thats a "Hog Hunter"!!!

OJ

What kind of guns are fired at Camp Perry competition ??

Would they shoot guns that weren't accurate ???

SR420

At Camp Perry, Ron Smith poses with Doug Carlstrom, the project manager for the M14 EBR program at TACOM-RI.

RINM-NM01.lg.jpg

Doug is holding what will soon be an accepted service rifle for competition at Camp Perry and NRA matches.
The rifle pictured has SEI's approved barrel and gas system.

This particular rifle shot 184 out of 200 at a 1000 yards by Ret. Brigadier General Eddy Newman.

SmokyBaer

EdInk said:
Anyone have a preference on which model is "best?" (I think I want the longer barrel and not the SOCOM.)

One thing for sure... SR420 is right on when he's talking M14s being addictive. After 30 years of shooting M1A/M14 platform, I can truely admit I'm hooked. To answer the question above would really require an understanding of the type shooting such as distance or scoped versus irons. But from what I've experienced, I can answer this way. My eyes are tired so I choose a scope. My hands are not as steady so I shoot less than 300 yards. My ultimate M14 is the one I currently have in progress. A medium weight 18.5" barrel on a LRB M25 receiver with mostly USGI parts.

Just like my Scout, this little rifle will bring home anything in my 300 yard range without any doubt. The advantage of the M25 receiver is an integrated scope mount dovetailed into the LRB receiver. No need for an additional bracket. Once you've experienced the feel of an 18 incher and see you've gained handling and lost very little in velocity, I feel most folks will feel like i do. Love my tanker/Scout!

Yep, LRB costs a good bit more BUT it does feel better, smoother. All that said about my personal favorite for my situation, there's nothing at all wrong with a Springfield Armory Loaded model. It has most of the features my favorite model has but cost less, has lifetime warranty and 22" barrel. Way good for a starter.

Other goodies:
LRB Arms Receivers and Actions - also see Rifles

McCann Carbon Fiber M14 stock

Additionally, can count on an EBR or JAE stock for instant accuracy satisfaction. :D

Good luck with the project!!

OJ

Weight of the M1A comes up frequently as a negative - I'll admit, when I got that M1 Garand as a "fourth classman plebe" (Mr Dumbjohn) at West Point - I didn't notice it so much - but, that was 1945 and I was considerably younger and stronger then.

While I like good wood in stocks, the composite stock on my M1A not only resists getting scratched up but reduces the weight of the rifle - I see that as a plus - but, individual choices differ -

M1A.jpg

I see that as a good thing, too. If we all liked the same things, we might all be driving Yugos and lack of competition would price them out of range for many of us.