Reasons to get an M-14

EdInk

My next rifle purchase will probably be something in .308 cartridge. I really do not want/like/care/etc for the AR platform. My top pick as of now is the M-14. I have considered the PTR-91 as well but there is just something about the M-14 that attracts me. All that said, I don't really have any experience with them. I would like to know some of the pros and cons of the design? FWIW I would probably go with the basic synthetic black stock model because it would mos likely suit my needs the best.

saddlerocker

decent accuracy is the main drawback as far as I know.
A deal breaker for me

Have you considered a FAL or M1A if you really wont go for an AR

ripnbst

M1A is on my short list. I've got an AR but want the M1A to keep it company.

Saddle, M1A and M14 are basically the same gun. M14 is select fire and M1A is the semi-auto civilian version. Like the AR-15/M16 differences. If you think the M14 has marginal accuracy and the M1A is better you might be thinking of the Mini-14.

M1A can be plenty accurate but maybe not if you are looking for the cheapest one around same as the AR can be plenty accurate but maybe not if you buy the cheapest one you can find.

5RWill

Not mine but you get the picture.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=3022249

9843.jpg

OJ

Reason ???

M1A.jpg

It's a great gun - Garand with a detachable box magazine - what could be more better reason - composite stock is indestructible - also - XS makes a great ghost ring replacement for stock sights -

M1AXSGHOSTRINGSIGHTS.jpg

Rear aperture is twice the diameter of the stock aperture and the white stripe on front blade is tritium - if you need night sights - it does make the front sight easier for my 85 year old eyes to see, though.

consider the dpms 308... great rifle. price point isnt bad and theres a fair amount of aftermarket stuff available to modify it as much asyou could possible want

arentol

Reason?

From 3-300 yards put a big, fast, and heavy bullet in them. From 2-3 yards put a nice sharp bayonet in them. From 1-2 yards give them a big, heavy, and solid buttstock to the head. From 0-1 yards put both hands on the rifle and shove them back 1-2 yards. Then bayonet or buttstock again, as appropriate.

There are better firearms for specific situations, but there aren't many that are better for more situations overall.

Plus it looks cool.

EdInk

Anyone have a preference on which model is "best?" (I think I want the longer barrel and not the SOCOM.)

Edward429451

I think the model that is best is the full sized model as per OJ's post. The socom model looks cool I guess but it couldn't keep up with my full size loaded. It's not that much smaller or lighter and isn't as accurate as the full size.

It's true that it's not a MOA rifle, but it doesn't need to be to fulfill its intended role.You can lay out twice the money on a supermatch and get it, but its superfluous to its role as a MBR.

I think the best value in M1A's is in the Loaded line. Priced very attractive next to the Supermatch and you still get 2.5 MOA. What wont 2.5 do in a civilians rifle?

(my paints flaking off too):D

priler

i love the m1a/m14. it has been my favorite MBR(308) for a long time,some of that is because of my love of wood and history(where it comes from),..up until more recent. i now prefer the HK(real HK=$$) or an excellent clone(PTR,real HK tooling and drawings from portugal). why?

1) price. you can get a great basic rifle at a manageable price that is very accurate. plus,the receivers are in spec and many use it for their builds. even the welds on these rifles are often better than on real HKs. you can even splurge to put a RCM hammer forged barrel on,with everthing correct,and still come out ahead($) especially when you consider the cost of accessories like mags,etc..

2) modularity. many of the parts on HKs can work across the board with other HKs,stocks,HGs,mounts,etc.,etc.. this means you can create something really interesting down the road if you want or need,..and most of the parts to do this are relatively inexpensive. you can even have a PTR modded for drums and if you have a registered sear,FA. remember,the g3 was adopted by many countries and there're different configurations and different calibers. the M14 was basically adopted by USA only(mentioned in reference to modularity). PTR also makes a pistol version if you like.(SBR anyone?)

3) sights. many will say the m1a/m14 has the best sights out there,i won't argue with this,it's a matter of preference really,..but have you actually used them ever? there's one thing i don't find the best with them,identifying targets in a real possible situation. the HK drum sight is different but,imo,great at 400m and under,it has a 100m notch that is really fast for close up and for low light conditions. the apertures also create a really clear sight picture. you have to learn how they're used but once you got that down,they're great. mounting optics is not a problem on a m1a/m14,but on the HKs it's a pleasure imo. you can use the HK claw mount or you can buy the version with rail already there(the rail is as low as can be,so with the right optic and/or rings,you can get the height you want,including co-witness if you like).(you can still get an original hensoldt scope for about $400,not bad considering the quality and history).

4) reliabitity. i'm not going to come here and say the m1a/m14 is unreliable,i know better than that,but i will post this link and talk about the HKs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0-3OQsnR-w
the HK roller delayed locking system is a beatiful thing and simple with no gas system but with high precision and quality execution. it is very tolerant to dirt and muck and the flutes are kind of self-cleaning up to a point as long as the flutes are properly done. generally,powder burn rate is also not an issue as it can be with the m1a because it doesn't use gas to power the action. with the PTR91,just don't use tar sealed ammo and if you need to use any ammo reliably,get the GI version. also,read the manufacturers warning on what ammo not to use and compare with others.

the triggers on the stock PTRs is not great but you can get a trigger-job from triggerwork.net if you cant do it yourself,..and then you'll have a great trigger.

i use to think the ergonomics stunk on these HKs but not any more. off hand sweeps the handle back as it moves to the mag,remove replace mag,off hand "HK slaps" on it's way back to HG. easy peasy.

your call,but it's just another opinion and my 2 cents. both are good systems,you can't loose either way with good working rifles.

you can also get a PTR91 MSG perimeter sniper rifle,compare yourself the price,specs and parts used to the high end M1As.

good luck and stay safe.

madcratebuilder

EdInk said:
Anyone have a preference on which model is "best?" (I think I want the longer barrel and not the SOCOM.)

The loaded model gives you extras that increase accuracy without the draw back of a bedded stock. You get a med contour NM barrel, NM sights and a 4.5-5lb trigger.

I did a few mods on my 1980 "loaded" model. Unitized the gas cylinder, reamed flasher hider, trigger honed to 4.5lbs. Smith and Sadlak parts. Easy to shoot moa, no coffee or distractions it's sub moa.

sibolt04.jpg

2M1As.jpg

Gunplummer

m-14

I used one in the Military, and at 500 yards with open sights and the range dope, you would not want to stick your head and shoulders up over a dike. These rifles had tens of thousands of rounds through them. The majority of the rifles were very good shooters. +1 on an M-14 The only drawback I can see is weight if you deer hunt with it.