Re-doing your rifle battery.

remdude

top 4

I am a remington man so here they are 22-250 in 700 vsf, 30/06 in 700 mnt rifle(curently in gun cab), 300rsaum in model 7(also in cab.) for the out to 400yd shots, and finally the .338 ultramag in the XCR, for the big stuff.

In the 300rsaum I have been able to achieve just over 3000 fps at 10 feet and 1.5 inch groups at 200 yds with hand loaded 180 gr Inter bond from Hornady. I plan on purchasing the XCR in .338 um, later this year for a Brown bear hunt planned for 2007. And my 06 mtn rifle is an old sandby out- fitted with leupold vx III 2.5-8 always shoots great killed bear and lots of deer.

Fal 4 Me

Since 4 guns are the limit price should be no object,after all,wives do not put a limit on their jewelry,DO THEY????!

Your exactly right, so my batter would include.

1. CZ 550 Ultimate Hunting Rifle .300 winchester mag - for really long range
2. DSA Fal in .308 - general hunting rifle
3. Rock River Arms - AR-15 in .223 for varmints, plinking, defense, shtf
4. Either and AK47 or 74, just because they are fun to shoot

I don't foresee myself hunting grizzly in Alaska or elephant in Africa so I left out the really big ones. But if I do, I wouldn't mind having that garand that was posted on the forums in .458 lott, I believe.

Mannlicher

Rather than 're do', I can just reach into one of the gun safes and pick something.
One example of 4 guns out of the safe might be.

.22 Remington 521T
.44 Mag Marlin 1894S
7mm Ackley Improved, Custom FN Mauser
.458 Win Mag, Winchester Model 70 Tropical

joshua

Great choices guys. Another interesting pick by a good percentage of response are the frequent choice of semi-auto rifles for hunting. Now I don't feel funny using my NHM91 for hunting.

Also, I have always thought that most big guns will suffice for the brown bear, but after seeing one live in the Kenai area of Alaska where we slowed down while the bear scratched it's back against a tree. He wasn't an overly huge bruin, but he looked very wide to me. Being a hunter I thought of a 300win or 338 win with heavy bullets minimum for such a beast, but if I really wanted to have more security a 375 and up is the way to go, I prefer 458Win for it's massive bullet weight and frontal killing surface if I have to go into the brush with one.

If you want to just reach in the safe and not re-do, by all means tell us what's your pick. josh

Drue

Ok, here’s mine:

Have

Varmint Rifle Rem 700 ADL .222 sporter, rebarreled to a varmint, retains ADL stock, Weaver T10

Deer (woods) Rifle Win 94 .30-30 (1977), stock, issue sights

General Hunting Rifle Win M70 in .30-06 (1955), McMillian stock, Weaver K4 I bought it this way.

Big Bore Ruger No. 1 in .45-70, Leupold Scout scope

Ideal

Varmint Rifle Rem 700 ADL .222 sporter rebarreled to a varmint, retains ADL stock, Weaver T10

Deer (woods) Rifle Rem Model 7 in .260 (custom shop) Manilicher stock, Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII

General Hunting Rifle Win M70 in .30-06 (1955), McMillian stock, Weaver K4 , Have the original stock in the closet which I do not now.

Big Bore CZ 550 Safari .375 H&H, Weaver K4

Floats my boat.

Drue

chemist308

Shotguns, 22lr rifles and muzzleloaders are a freebie on this. The 4 rifles counted are centerfire either bolt, single/double or semi.
Chemist, you are one Ruger fan. May I ask why you prefer the Ruger77 more than the more common Remchestvage? josh
Well, then all of the above but I'd try an AR-10 too:
#1. Ruger M77 in .223Rem (groundhogs and such)
#2. Ruger M77 in 308Win (deer, black bear)
#3. Ruger M77 in 375 H&H Magnum (really big game).
#4. AR-10 (308)

Why Ruger? Their M77 in 308 was the first centerfire rifle I owned and it fits me like a glove--my dad let me pick it out and it was a toss up between the Winchester M70 and the Ruger M77, but the position of the safety and general feel was why I initially when with Ruger. Since then it has been the most accurate gun I've ever fired. Growing up there was a home-made 100 yard range in the woods about 1/2 mile away from my house. It had two 1" metal posts that were rusted up and used to hold boards for targets. One of my hobbies was consistently boring holes in the center of those posts. Once I even took a buzzard out of mid flight with the thing from a couple hundred yards using Remington (i think) accelerator ammo.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
No "re-do" needed.

Walther Model 2, for .22 rimfire.
Ruger 77 Mk II in .223.
Sako Forester carbine in .243.
Weatherby Mark V in .30-'06.

All of them shoot at or inside of one MOA. I reload for the centerfires.

If I were limited to just one, my "druthers" would be for the Wby.

Nowadays, with my old legs sorta getting tired (wait 'til your legs get to 72 years old), I'd probably wimp out and just go with my 700Ti in 7mm08. It's a nice "lady's gun". :D

Art

Hello123

Starting fresh with four rifle only huh.
1) Savage Model 14 in .308 with a 3x9x40 or 2x7 scope
2) CZ bolt action .22 with a 3x9x40 quality scope.
3) Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H with iron sights
4) Savage varmint in .204 Ruger with a 6x20x50 scope.

If I had to have one, it would be a .308, next the .22.