Re-doing your rifle battery.

Big-Foot

Kirbymagnum, no longrange big game guns for you? I assumed your name was a homage to the big Kirby Allen Magnums.

kirbymagnum

Big-Foot, I don't hunt moose and the bears around my place normally don't exceed 350 pounds so i don't have a need for a big long range gun. The longest shot on a deer is probably 250 yards most deer are within 100 yards. If i were to choose a longe range big game gun i would choose a 300 WBY magnum.

joshua

Big Foot, thanks for sharing those pictures. Reminds me of Maine.

KirbyMagnum is the first one without a big bore, cool practical reason. I myself will probably never get to hunt a brown bear or a buffalo, but having a big bore makes me feel comfortable just in case jurassic park becomes reality. :D Interesting choices and some with actual collection

Busgunner007, what is the felt recoil like on the 375 Ultra? I'll be afraid to shoot such a beast.

josh

Clayfish

Browning BL-22 .22lr
Savage 10 .223
Marlin 336 .30-30
Browning A-bolt .308

Oh wait. That's what I have already. :D

BusGunner007

Busgunner007, what is the felt recoil like on the 375 Ultra? I'll be afraid to shoot such a beast.
I've had this rifle for 2 years, changing a couple of things and buying up ammo when I could ---
STILL HAVEN'T FIRED IT~!:eek:

I'm going to find out in the next couple of weeks exactly what kind of monster it is, though.
Once I've fired it, I'm going to have the scope holes / mount drilled out to 8-40 tpi and replace the 'J-Lock' part of the bolt.
That's the plan.
I promise to post here after firing the rifle. :D

joshua

Clayfish has no concern for big bores, hey I can respect that.

Busgunner007, 2 years and haven't fired it? Wow! Please let us know how your range session goes with your 375 RUM. I've been pondering on 338 RUM, but lots of folks who claimed to have shot Rem BDLs even Senderos have dubbed it a bruiser. If that's the case then the 375 RUM must be something bigger. josh

BusGunner007

( trying to keep on Topic ) ;)

What I'm afraid to face more than the recoil is the fact that the cartridge might already be a Dinosaur! :eek:
I should have bought the .375 H&H but I'm saving that idea a little longer.
The 4th Rifle would be that, except I didn't want to stray from my BDL configuration, and the H&H just seemed like it should be in a 'CRF' rifle.
Now that Remington has taken over importing the ZASTAVA Mauser actions from Charles Daly --- I'm in line for either the .375 or .458.
The new '798' might be just what I'm looking for in that the safety is a 'sliding' side mounted one like my other Remington bolt-actions.
It may become the 4th Rifle in .375 H&H or the 5th Rifle in .458!

We shall soon see...:D

TPAW

30.06 It's the most versatile cartridge out there. Bullet grains from 110 to 220 over the counter and available just about anywhere. Remington also makes a 75 grain. The 30.06 will kill anything that walks in North America.
No other cartridge can offer you that kind or versatility!

That's my battery, one rifle will do it all. Whatever action you choose is up to you............;)

TPAW

joshua

Thanks for the nice comment. Actually, I have others but gave them to my son. They are all locked up in one safe. I shoot other rifles, but the .06 is MINE and MINE only. My son gets it when I pass on. I'm 58 now so I hope I have lots of shoot'in years left.....:confused:

kirbymagnum

30-06 55 Grain

Remington makes a 30-06 bullet called the Accelerator which is a 55 grain bullet what twist would you need to shoot this bullet?

Eghad

.45-70
.460 Weatherby Magnum

and for those times when you are in a bind and nothing else will do:

.700 Nitro Express

joshua

Well we're getting off topic now:D . Yeah so what, right? The reason I asked for a 4 rifle battery is because I heard and know of too many people undecided on what will be

1. varmint gun - well not really it all boils down to 223 or 22-250.
2. a deer gun - endless choices from 22-250 to big bores
3. a big deer gun - usually a 308 is minimum here and on up, endless choices.
4. a dangerous game gun - This is something like .375 and up, the choices is not as huge as the other criteria, but it's getting there.

If someone is about to do all of requirements above with an 06, but most like me will never be in Africa anyway so why do i even dream of a big bore Safari rifle. Heck! It's been done many times so I'll just stick to my 44 Mag handgun. Whoa! Hey now, this is a rifle thread. :D josh

chemist308

#1. Ruger M77 in .223Rem (groundhogs and such)
#2. Ruger M77 in 308Win (deer, black bear)
#3. Remington Model 870 in 12 Guage (all small game that flies, hops or scurries)
#4. Ruger M77 in 375 H&H Magnum (really big game).

Now questions:
*do we have to count shotguns in this? If not then the #3 spot goes to a 22lr in--you guessed it--Ruger 77/22.
*do we have to count muzzleloaders? If so then I trade my 308 for a Knight in-line--currently own one and I often opt for that in regular deer season (over my 308).

However my current battery:
Marlin 22lr (bolt action),
Ruger M77 .308,
Winchester Model 12 .16Guage
Mossberg c-lect choke .20Guage
Knight in-line .50 muzzleloader
Traditions flintlock
Mosin Nagant M44
German K98 Mauser

joshua

Shotguns, 22lr rifles and muzzleloaders are a freebie on this. The 4 rifles counted are centerfire either bolt, single/double or semi.

Chemist, you are one Ruger fan. May I ask why you prefer the Ruger77 more than the more common Remchestvage? josh

FirstFreedom

4 centerfires eh?

The man said that a .22 rimfire and shotgun are a "given", so that rules out listing them, as the question assumes them. Rifles only, centerfire only. Also, the question is North America, not Africa, so that leaves out my CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .458 Lott choice. But it does include Alaska/Canada, so that's gonna necessitate one big game thumper. And self-defense was left out - the question is for hunting both game and varmints. That leaves me with:

1. Varmints and small game: something in .223 rem - either my AR15 in .223 or my NEF Handi-Rifle in .223 - probably take the Handi-rifle for max accuracy, assuming I had the self-defense base covered (as the question assumes). If I had the budget, it would be a CZ 527 varmint laminated, or a Remington XR100 instead of the Handi.

2. All-purpose big-game hunter: something in 6.5x55mm (or possibly its ballistic twin, the .260 rem) - either a Win 70, CZ 550, Tikka T3, or Howa 1500. Light version... sporter weight short barrel (20-22"), light-ish stock, light scope & rings - a 'mountain rifle'.

3. Second/backup all-purpose big-game hunter: easy, my Armalite AR10 in .308 win. Up to 180 grains with fast follow up. Double-tap your elk!

4. Very large game thumper for canada/alaska: this one is tougher - either .338 winmag, .35 whelen, or .375 H&H mag. Probably take a Remington 750 semi-auto in 35 whelen. If it's coming to hurt me, I want a big semi-auto.

Jseime

Ill take 3 and be happier than the rest of you

-Remington 700 lefty in 7mm-08--> Deer
-browning BAR short-trac .243--> Coyotes and other varmints
-Remington 700 lefty in .30-06--> For evrything else

madcaster

My wiffle batter,y

Since 4 guns are the limit price should be no object,after all,wives do not put a limit on their jewelry,DO THEY????!
Kimber of Oregon M82 Bob Brownell Commemorative,.22LR(I have had a 82 Classic Deluxe and 2 Classics)
Kimber of Oregon M-84 Super American .222 Remington(I have had a Classic in .222)
Kimber of Oregon M89 Super American .30/06 Springfield(I have had one)
Holland & Holland SxS .450 caliber (I have NOT had one!)
Course we would need several revolvers
S&W K-22(I have one)
Freedom Arms single action in .22 LR and another in .45 Long Colt
Ruger Bisley in .45 Long Colt(I have one)
Colt Python .357,and another .357 in the S&W N-27

Shotguns-
Winchester 21 in 28 guage
Purdy in 12 guage
Parker SxS small frame in .410
Darn,I'm just getting warmed up!