Quality: SIG vs. Beretta

Walt Sherrill

Neal_G. said:
Thats true, but to a certain extent one's concept of "quality" IS very superficial, and not necessarily logical or factual at all. It's merely how an individual perceives value in an object, and to a greater extent the maker of it. Guns, cars, watches, computers, you name it. It's really kind of funny if you think about it!

I guess we agree -- there's not much of substance being discussed here.

Unless folks set down, before hand, and say, "the following characteristics are how I assess quality in a gun (or any other device), and these are the values I attach to each of those characteristics, it's mostly an almost emotional response. Some of the car magazines do this sort of comparison when looking at cars, and the criteria changes from hot performance street cars, to luxury cars, to sports cars, to pickup trucks, etc. The standards are well-defined and stated up front. Consumer Reports does the same thing. While you may disagree, you understand what's being assessed and often WHY.

The only folks I've ever seen do that for guns are the guys who write for GUN TESTS magazine, and I quit reading them a long time ago, because I just didn't agree with many of the criteria they used. But they do try to be consistent.

The OP had a friend looking at SIGs and Berettas. I wonder why he picked THOSE TWO brands, while ignoring guns like S&W, H&K, Steyr, even CZ, etc.? Probably because the folks around him, when asked, mentioned those two brands.

Last edited:

gbclarkson

Sig has "To Hell and Back Reliability" as a marketing slogan. Is the OP taking his pistol to hell or is to range and back reliability sufficient? Or to nightstand and back? Or to car and back?...

tahunua001

the quality is pretty similar but personally I would pick the sig over the beretta for the simple reason that sig's control scheme makes a lot more sense than beretta's. if beretta would just ditch the slide mounted safeties(which they have with a few limited run models) I would be more likely to get behind them but it'll likely never happen so Sig gets my final answer.

TunnelRat

the quality is pretty similar but personally I would pick the sig over the beretta for the simple reason that sig's control scheme makes a lot more sense than beretta's. if beretta would just ditch the slide mounted safeties(which they have with a few limited run models) I would be more likely to get behind them but it'll likely never happen so Sig gets my final answer.

The Wilson Combat Berettas, however, can be has as type G models where it is decocker only. I agree with you on the layout still, but I have less issue with it being a decocker rather than a safety.

B.O.F.H.

Picking/have picked Beretta over Sig for the following reasons.

1) my thumbs forward grip rides on the Sig slide catch thereby ensuring that in my hands, there is no last round slide lock with Sigs. The positioning of the Beretta slide lock and safety decocker work as designed in my hands.

2) Sigs sit higher in hand. A well lubed drop block 92 cycles smoother and transfers less recoil to me resulting in faster as well as more accurate fire in my hands.

3) Beretta offers 30 round factory magazines for the 92 series.

BILLG

Here is my take on this.And here is my solution.I also have a 92 G Elite II that I shoot regularly.I carry one or the other of these pistols every day.I like them all so much that I have a hard time choosing.

Pilot

I'm with the OP, a high end CZ like a Tac Sport would be sweet. Maybe a Shadow and a Kadet .22 conversion kit.

^^^^^This. A Tactical Sport or Shadow Target, and/or maybe some parts or work by Cajun Gun Works would be my choice. Oh, I have Berettas, and Sigs too. No bad answer here.

Morgo

Having both standard models of the Beretta 92fs line and Sig line as well as higher end versions of these Sig easily wins at the standard level (even the higher end versions Sig still wins though the Beretta's do get noticeably nicer)

My Sigs are German, I've heard bad stories about some of the US made Sigs so that might be something to consider.

I prefer the Sig trigger, sights and solid feel.
The standard 92fs has an alloy frame and annoying sights, triggers not overly great.

The CZ tactical sports and even a CZ SP01 version would likely beat both the standard Sig P226 and Beretta 92fs in the trigger, sights and accuracy department.

Sevens

I am not a fan of either pistol, but I have some thoughts and experience to offer just the same...

The Wilson Combat Beretta -CAN- be just a Beretta with some fancy logo'd upgrades, but it can ALSO be more if the buyer is willing to spec-out and PAY for more. You won't see that for the $1,200 base price. So in that way, it won't be a fair comparison if you request and pay for Wilson Combat to work on the Beretta.

The Sig pistols have an extremely well-earned reputation that I cannot argue with, but I do have first-hand, hands-on experience and a CRAP taste left over from a recent Sig 1911. Now this is a completely different pistol than a Sig P-series, it is NOT what built the Sig P-series reputation... however, I continue to live and exist in the real world... Sig shipped this. And from what we have absolutely seen in these forums, Sig has had some genuine QC failures lately.

I feel bad for the Sig die-hards because it would rot in my gut if I lived & died with their name & reputation also. Fortunately, Sig means very little in my world so I don't feel the hurt.

Post #4 is my experience with a NEW Sig 1911 or recent manufacture.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548691

On the other hand, Beretta does not have a reputation for fading quality and never has so far as I can tell. I have only had two of them myself but I've been around (shot, cleaned, cared for, loaded for, etc etc) more of them.

If I am choosing between the two, I'll choose the Beretta.
However, if it's my money and I want a 9mm that will outshoot either of them for around $700, it'll be the Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match.

That CZ Tactical Sport looks terrific -- I would love, and I mean -LOVE- to have a head to head showdown and see if my pistol at 60% of the price could outshoot it. Mine's got 4,500 flawless rounds through it... all handloads, half of which have been 125gr cast LRN, the other half 124gr Plated.

saleen322

I currently have a Beretta 92 INOX and a Sig Match Elite. If you look at stock accuracy and overall fit and finish quality, the Sig is better. However the Sig was about twice the price of the Beretta. I had to put a KKM barrel in the Beretta to get the accuracy I was looking for and now I am happy with it and the total cost is still less than the Sig.

I plan on keeping both but if you forget about the price, I would have to give the nod to the Sig as being the better pistol. However it is all in what you desire. Hope this helps.

SigTgt200SWC-1_zps8eb6a1d5.jpg
BerettaKKMTgt-1_zpsd2cefe43.jpg