Proper storage of firearms

peggysue

Sorry kmw954 I am not for Federal mandating on how firearms are stored. Sorry to disagreed with you. I have never had anyone break into my house and I am old. One can get DOGS, cameras and home alarms at their digression. Most thefts in homes are done by relatives or friend of family who know of them.

How did the safe work for the Sandy Hook killer kmw954 ?

Last edited:

armedleo

While there are no laws affecting private citizens mandating method or required storage, there are severe penalties for allowing to fall in the hands of children who shoot themselves or someone else. So, in reality, we already have laws that punish gun owners for not properly securing their firearms in a manner that keeps them out of the hands of children. I take that to mean get a safe.

peggysue

ARMEDLEO. I DISSAGREE,. What If one has no kids at home? It is against the law to break into your home. I am sure thugs will follow this.

armedleo

Well, you might disagree, but its already the law. If a kid somehow gets his hands on your unlocked, unsecured gun (that's why they come with gun locks, BTW) you have criminal sanctions (prison) in your future.

armedleo said:
While there are no laws affecting private citizens mandating method or required storage, ...
I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. My state has a law requiring firearms to be stored locked if theere are children 16 years or younger in the house. Many states have similar laws.

Your state may not have such a law, but you can't extrapolate from that to make a blanket statement covering all 57* states.

* See what I did there?

kmw1954

peggysue, nowhere in any of my posts have I advocated for mandatory storage laws. I did state that in my opinion it is a moral decision each of us must make.

If you decide to keep yours on a table, in a drawer or strapped to the headboard that is your prerogative. I'm not going to tell you that you can't or can. All I can do is what feels right for me. Doesn't make a difference to me whether you have children in your home or not, that is a different issue.

Sandy Hook, that was a family member that had access to the safe. It was not an intruder breaking into the home and stealing unprotected firearms. So I don't see a correlation.

44 AMP

Staff
Sandy Hook, that was a family member that had access to the safe. It was not an intruder breaking into the home and stealing unprotected firearms. So I don't see a correlation.

Taken without permission is theft. MURDERING YOUR MOTHER means you don't have to ask permission. And, I understand, most places murder is a crime...

Correlation: committing a crime to obtain access to a firearm...

Should a law penalize YOU, the owner, for not making the criminal work harder to steal your property? I don't think so.

kmw1954

Sorry but I do believe the shooter had access BEFORE he committed the crime or murdered his mother. So the safe is irrelevant.

The rest is a different issue. He was unfit to be in possession of any firearm and the family member should have taken steps to prevent any access. Be it changing combination on safe, removing weapons or having him removed to a safe facility.

At one time we had a family member that was on an ignition lock for their cars. He still drove drunk. His spouse enabled him. Very sad.

So what's the solution to either example? There were safe guards in place and both were defeated.

kmw1954 said:
Sorry but I do believe the shooter had access BEFORE he committed the crime or murdered his mother. So the safe is irrelevant.

The rest is a different issue. He was unfit to be in possession of any firearm and the family member should have taken steps to prevent any access. Be it changing combination on safe, removing weapons or having him removed to a safe facility.
Considering that it was his own mother ("the family member") whom he murdered, don't you at least suspect that if she had had any sense that he was dangerous she would have done something about it? Yes, I believe it is correct that he did have access to the gun safe. He was over the age of 16, so Connecticut law didn't require that the guns be locked away from him. He had not been adjudicated as mentally deficient or as posing a risk of harm to others. His mother was doing her best to deal with her son, without any help from the father.

Who are you to judge her, after the fact? Hindsight is always 20:20.

kmw1954

So why is it that I'm being attacked?

I didn't bring up in incident at Sandy Hook. I do not know those people or what their home situation was. The comment was made about the "Safe".

The fact is whichever way you want to spin it the safe was useless in this case. The person that went into that safe had access before the fact. Extreme example is what good is a safe if half the neighborhood has the key!

So tell me please how you believe I judged the dead mother. I was not there to observe either of their behaviors. And yes I know plenty of parents that are in denial of child behavior. Love is blind.

I don't know where you all want to go with this but Agree or disagree I think I've plainly stated and laid out my opinion, which is only directed at how I keep my own firearms. I have to live with myself.

How the rest of the world decides to keep their firearms stored is up to them. If you want to keep a loaded weapon on the table at all time and are comfortable doing that it's fine by me. I'm not comfortable with that in my home.