problem with my wife and her gun

NWCP

My wife's first handgun was a Ruger SP101 in .357. She chose to shoot .38SPL +P through it and really enjoys her revolver. It happened to be one of the many guns in my gun safe she could have latched on to. Lately she's been looking at one of my German model Walther PPK/S in .380. She's aware that the Ruger is capable of firing a much more potent round, but she really like the feel and size of the Walther. As long as she has a weapon she's comfortable carrying and she's competent in shooting I'm happy. Were it one of our .32ACPs I'd feel the same. I've never traded for a firearm and I've seldom sold any gun that I've purchased in the first place. The Walther PPK and PPK/S series of pistols are a pleasure to carry and shoot. She could do a lot worse. Sounds like you're going to pick up the Walther and keep the Glock anyway. That's a good move. Then, like my wife, she has more than one pistol she's familiar with and comfortable using and you still have your Glock. A nice win win situation IMHO. I've never pretended to understand women and probably never will, but keeping peace on the home front is always a good move. :rolleyes:

tackdriver

Let her do what she wants with HER guns. If she makes a bad trade or deal, then it becomes a life learning experience - which is what life is all about. Some turn out good, some bad, you learn from every one of them

Oh sure, when you say it all nonoffensive-like no one jumps all over you!:cool:

dabigguns357

If she makes a bad trade or deal, then it becomes a life learning experience

Have you ever made a decision that really was bad and you wished that some had stepped in with a little more experience to say you shouldn't.Not so much to tell you what to do but to guide you.

You are correct,it's her gun and her deal but what would happen if the new gun doesn't work or she doesn't like the walther and wants her Glock back.I have put the walther on lay-a-way and if she wants to carry the walther,thats her choice.If she wants her gun back or the walther doesn't work then she has a back up.

Another way to look at it is,i'm only down $377.00 instead of $377.00 plus whatever the cost of getting her gun back.

It's one thing to spend money but it's another to waste it.

AKsRul.e

Best Deal is to keep the Glock and buy the Walther. :D

You can always sell one off later.

Who pays for what is your problem. ;)

NightSleeper

I'm with the OP on this one. Trading the Glock for the Walther just doesn't make sense. There's nothing wrong with him advising his wife on this. If she really wants the Walther, buy it for her. Why give up a good Glock? This is something she will probably regret somewhere down the road.

MLeake

Seems like a reasonable way to handle it...

... but NightSleeper, I'm sorry to tell you that I haven't regretted parting with my Glocks.

They aren't for everybody, even if they are a reliable, durable, and pretty accurate brand.

pichon

Have you ever made a decision that really was bad and you wished that some had stepped in with a little more experience to say you shouldn't.Not so much to tell you what to do but to guide you.

It's one thing to spend money but it's another to waste it.

Exactly!

Let her do what she wants with HER guns. If she makes a bad trade or deal, then it becomes a life learning experience - which is what life is all about. Some turn out good, some bad, you learn from every one of them

Is that how you raised your children (assuming you have any)? As a parent and husband I try to help and teach my family to avoid mistakes, especially if I have made them in the past, rather than let them make them in the name of life learning experiences. Does it stick as well that way, no, but it spares them the consequences of their actions.

In this case, if it was me, I would tell her I have it on lay away and tell her I am going in to do the trade. I would take the Glock with me and then when I came back with both pistols I would just say I decided at the last minute to keep it for her for a "range gun" and we can sell it later if she wants to.

TH237

All Her choice???

To all of you who think its her choice alone to make... What would your reaction be if she wanted to buy a HighPoint 380 as her personal defense weapon. Would you get off the fence then, would you then lend your advice and leadership as the (man of the house).

Edited to add

Just a reminder to you husbands, you are your wife's protector.

MLeake

TH237....

... I partially agree with you, but I have reservations.

I'm my lady's protector, but she really doesn't need protection. She did just fine before she ever met me. Would I let her come to harm? Nope. A BG would get to her through a pool of my blood. But do I expect her to need protection? Nope.

Also, I suspect that some husbands, maybe Pax's, might defer to the lady of the house when it comes to handguns. Assuming the man knows more about guns might actually be betting the percentages, but there will be exceptions.

So, should we advise our partners on those things that are our areas of expertise? Yes. Should we expect to make decisions for them? No. Does lack of expertise mean one can't have intelligent insights? No, new people often notice things that experts miss because of ingrained assumptions...

We also have to be careful about how we offer advice, or it sounds like direction instead of advice.

TH237

MLeake

As you with mine, I also have reservations with yours.

My wife and I are in our 50's thus perhaps explaining some of my thinking. My wife doesn't work outside the home. I suppose we are old fashioned.
Back on point...My wife is an excellent shot at close range with her Walther PPKS. Does she know the workings of the gun, not at all. She can load it, clear a jam, and fire it.
I am a gunsmith and armorer at a sheriff dept. I suppose all the above is why I cant fathom a husband or sig other letting his pretty half make this type of decision. As I stated earlier I pick several for my wife to choose from. She loves the Walther.

MLeake

TH237...

... my lady grew up on a farm. When it comes to woodworking, home repairs, and tool handling in general, I defer to her. When it comes to driving large truck & trailer rigs, I defer to her.

She's also almost finished with an RN/BSN program, and already had a pre-veterinary BS. When it comes to patching up wounds... you get the idea.

In our house, I am the more knowledgeable one when it comes to firearms, cars and light trucks, motorcycles, skiing, unarmed self defense, military history, boats, and airplanes. Also on SciFi... she's not a SciFi fan.

Pretty much any other topic I can think of, we are probably in a dead heat.

She welcomes advice; I would never dream of telling her what to do, which is probably the reason why she is open to advice.

TH237

MLeake

Everyone is different. I wouldn't trade my life and family for any other in the world. And I'm very sure neither would you. Happiness is hard to come by.
Point is whoever has the most knowledge of firearms should have the most influence in choice. If neither do them outside help should be solicited. Its too important of a decision to take lightly.

pelo801

to Pichon, you are weird. i mean really, what's wrong with you? accountants. funny man, funny. sorry for getting off topic