Press Upgrade

CrustyFN

If having a distraction when you're working on a progressive machine worries you ....it ought to scare the daylights out of you on a manually indexing machine...

I never understood that really but then maybe I do things totally different than everybody else. I have had distractions on my Lee classic turret and that's an easy one to get straightened out. When I have a distraction on my Dillon 550 I unload the shell plate and start over. Nothing to go wrong or worry about there. If I was loading on a 650 I would do the same thing.

orionengnr

A used 450 or 550 (in normal times) can be a great way to get into a Dillon at an affordable price.

My first press was a 450, lent to me when the owner shipped out for Germany. When he returned 2 1/2 years later, I returned it to him, and my wife bought me a new 550.

Since then I have bought another 450 and another 550, both used, for around $200 each. Each was missing some pieces, but each ended up fully functional for well below the price of a new one. I turned each over to friends of mine who wanted to start handloading. Both are cranking out thousands of rounds now. :)

I have seen SDBs for similar prices, but the proprietary dies were a limitation I was unwilling to accept...mostly because I load for multiple calibers. If you only load for one (handgun) round, an SDB at the right price could be attractive.

grisbald

I've been reloading now for about 3 yrs. First year and a half was all done on a single stage press. Worked fine for rifles, but then I started to purchase some handguns and I couldn't stand to load those on the single. I purchased a Lee Turret press for my handguns and that really worked out well. Was seriously thinking of purchasing a Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive, even had it in a cart to order, but decided that I just didn't reload enough to lay out that amount of money. So I spent about $60 and bought 5 more turrets for the turret press for different calibers and I couldn't be happier.

Lost Sheep

Deluxe and Classic Turrets compared (from my point of view, of course)

Silver00LT said:
What's the difference between these two other than price? They both look auto indexing.

(The two links in Post #45)

Lost has a good answered typed up, but this is info that should be available to public and not just PM.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Silver00LT. This is nothing not widely known but gathers together all my observations.

The Lee Classic Turret and the Lee Deluxe Turret operate in exactly the same manner. (Except for some older, now discontinued models of the Deluxe which have 3 die stations - and, no, the 4-hole turrets do not interchange with the 3-hole turrets.)

Same speed, many of the same parts and same operating mode and technique.

But there are differences.

Evolution: The Classic Turret is the newer design of the two.

Durability: The Classic Turret's base is cast iron, the Deluxe is cast aluminum. Iron wears better than the softer metal, aluminum.

Ease of use: The Deluxe has a 1" smaller vertical opening than the Classic Turret. Though either is capable of taking rifle cartridges, the Classic Turret will take longer ones and if you have big hands is the clear winner

Spent Primer Handling: The Deluxe drops primers out of a slot in the ram to fall into a cavity inside the press base. But only about 90% succeed in their intended journey. The Classic drops primers down the center of the hollow ram and into a clear plastic tube which can contain a few hundred primers or be directed into a receptacle of your choice. The difference in the behavior of the debris (products of combustion) from the spent primers is even more striking. With the Deluxe, you wind up with primer detritus all over and have to dismount the press and sweep up the pile of spent primers every several hundred rounds.

More on Durability: The Deluxe ram is smaller in diameter than the Classic's ram. This gives a much different bearing surface for the ram to be guided as it moves up and down. The Classic press will last much longer because of the increased surface area and because iron is tougher than aluminum.

Even more on Durability: The Deluxe's linkage is aluminum and stampings. The Classic's linkage is more robust.

In the examples posted, the Deluxe has the optional roller handle, which is said to be easier to use, so an upgrade over the standard, stock handle. The same handle is available for the Classic Turret.

In summary:

The Deluxe is aluminum, spills spent primers and has a slightly smaller opening (which you may find important when loading long cartridges or long bullets. Kempf's gun shop (online) assembles a kit containing the Classic Turret and does not force someone who already reloads to take other stuff you already have (except a set of dies and some cartridge boxes).

I think that's about it.

Lost Sheep

Last edited:

stubbicatt

Neat thing about any press you buy used, if it is serviceable, if it doesn't meet your needs, most likely you won't take a bath on resale.

If you decide you want a progressive, perhaps my experience will help. I started with a Lyman TMag turret press, which just didn't meet my needs, so I sold it and bought a Pacific (precursor to Hornady) progressive press. It was OK to use, but it was really old school, and the press and accessories have since been updated quite a bit. Nonetheless, I had a lot of issues with that press, and never could really count on it to work as it should. It was sold down the river for a first generation Lee Loadmaster. Once the bugs were worked out on the Loadmaster, rarely would it create a cartridge which didn't have a primer, but sometimes it did. The emptying of spent primers was a pain from the hollow ram.

Time passed and I went through several single stage presses including the Co-Ax, in pursuit of "precision" rounds. I bought a RCBS single stage press which served me well for many years, as all I was loading was XTC ammo for an AR15, and didn't shoot pistol or any other cartridges at that time. For precision cartridges, I don't think the RCBS can be beat until you start dinking around with soda pop bottle cappers or those sorts of presses and hand dies.

Time passed, and I decided I would do well to get another press for my general shooting needs, so I bought the first generation Lee Classic Cast turret press, and I still have that press. It makes really good pistol cartridges and small rifle cartridges such as 223.

However, I decided to get into action shooting where my ammo requirements increased several-fold. So I got a Dillon 1050. There is no doubt in my mind, that if you want a progressive, you may find other brands falling short, but the Dillon will work. Every time. I can't say enough good about the Dillon Super 1050 and Dillon dies and accessories. For some reason, they are just the best quality tool of their type I have ever used. You will pay more for the Dillon products, but you aren't just buying a name, or a "cool guy" bragging rights, they really are excellent quality.

I didn't drink blue Koolaid, nor red, nor orange. I sold the 1050 due to a need for funds, and lack of use. If ever I was to buy another progressive, I would not get any other brand than Dillon. As it is now, my Classic Cast turret works just fine for my needs, other than precision loading, for which I use a RCBS single stage press.

I hope this helps you make a decision. I do not know *which* of the Dillon presses best serve your needs, so I cannot help there. But if you do decide on a progressive, get a Dillon. Any other brand of progressive which I have used has been a hit or miss proposition. The Dillon powder measures if polished up properly will throw accurate charges of even some stick powders, and they just work well. Period.

If an auto indexing turret will meet your needs, you can load about 200 to 250 autopistol cartridges per hour on the Lee turret press, provided you don't need to trim the brass, and just the nature of the Classic Cast turret press is such that you don't get upside down primers, or sideways smashed primers etc, and combined with the auto disc powder measure, I have always had serviceable ammo loaded on that press.

Hope this helps you some,

Good luck!
Regards,
Stubb

Last edited:

osirus82

I love to shot and go hunting and want to get in to precision long distance shooting. I watched everything i could and read loads of material on all the different types of presses, after all that i decided that the press for me that would fit my needs and has expandability was the dillon 650xl, the package was delivered after a couple days, they didn't have the carbide dies in stock, so i will wait a bit. happy reloading.

osageid

I love to shot and go hunting and want to get in to precision long distance shooting. I watched everything i could and read loads of material on all the different types of presses, after all that i decided that the press for me that would fit my needs and has expandability was the dillon 650xl, the package was delivered after a couple days, they didn't have the carbide dies in stock, so i will wait a bit. happy reloading.

Congrats! Nice piece of equipment !

Silver00LT

Man my equipment is on the UPS truck and I am sitting here waiting on them like a little child about to open Christmas presents.

Silver00LT

Well got her setup and running. The Safety Primer System takes a good getting use to. I'm averaging around 110rnds/hr right now as the priming system will drop the primers if not fully inserted into prime ram. So I rate her 4.5 out of 5 stars. .5 because after I prime the case I have to manually turn the turret back to align everything back up(not hard or a pain) and then the learning curve for the priming system.

I do love it though. :)

For the Lee Classic Turret, Pro Auto Disk Charger, Powder Riser, Safety Primer system, Classic Turret Safety Primer BRACKET the cost was exactly $198.90 with shipping.

My goal is to have a COMPLETE setup for EACH caliber(minus sizing/decapping die as I trim all my rifle cases). For a caliber setup to allow quick and zero adjustments or swap overs comes to $63.00 which is great compared to other presses. My brass cleaning station has my single stage press that will house my rifle decapping/sizing dies.

Excuse the mess currently working on setting up my brass cleaning station(the entire other desk)

Attachments

• IMG_20130710_081129_190.jpg
    IMG_20130710_081129_190.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20130710_081150_542.jpg
    IMG_20130710_081150_542.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 12

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
You shouldn't have to line it back up after priming.

It sounds like your auto-indexing rod is slightly out of alignment. You just need a couple of wrenches to turn it ever so slightly.

Silver00LT

I read that in the instructions as I knew something wasn't right from ALL the videos I watched. 4.5 is still a strong rating for this press. Probably will end up giving it a 5 star review on MidwayUSA as with any new piece of equipment you always have that slight learning curve.

It was pull out of box ready to start reloading after I mounted it. I'm getting the hang of the priming system now. I dropped ONE this time because I didn't push down to make sure it was seated.