Ported barrel a deal Breaker?

seansean1444

definetally not a deal breaker. i think it is actually better. i doubt u wil notice a difference in noise but you will get back on target faster

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I am gonna try to play the "my screwed up left arm" card to see if the pity from wifey will loosen her grip on the purse strings a bit...*

I hinted about the gun while driving to a memorial day function yesterday....

She crapped a dang brick covered in sand spurs when I mentioned I could get one for $475 or so...:eek:

I tried to play it off as a cheap gun considering some of my TFL shotgun buddies have guns that cost $10-20k and they only hold 2 dern shells... "Honey, thisn'll shoot 5 shots as fast as I can pull the trigger..."

She says... "So you will need a lot more shells, huh?":eek:

*For everyone not a member for real long, I suffered a debilitating injury to my "strong side" left arm. It was many months before I could even hold the gun to shoot a promo load using the porch railing for a rest and several more before I could hold it up in mounted position to fire a slug or buckshot.Little true control caused the gun to "self eject" the spent hull upon discharge. Will never be much above 50-55% overall compared to pre-wreck days.

brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
BJP,
The EVIL sand spur...
images

And in the green state...
Cenchrus_spinifex.jpg

In the green state, us redneck kids would pick them by the hundreds of stalks with enuff stalk to be a throwin' handle and play "sand spur war"... Just tossed by a little kid they ALWAYS stick to clothing and if close enuff... in skin too.
Cenchrus_longispinus_plant.jpg

Nasty muthas to step on bare footed!

As you can see... the brick might be crap-able but along with these... a new meaning to burr under the blanket for sure!

Brent

BigJimP

Interesting ...

Ok, so now I know ---she was absolutely impressed with your charm and logic ...:rolleyes:

but maybe if she knows its something you really want --- she'll soften up a little ....

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Yeah... at this point... it is a matter of time albeit A LONG TIME but time just the same...:D

I am workin' on her... and look it even has a Gold trigger like so many "Fine gentlemen's guns"

I think it is high time ol' h-dogs geta a lazy man's gun that don't require a cardio workout to go bust off some shells...:D

Brent

BigJimP

Hang in there man ...

I have a lot of guns ... ( more than I need - but don't ever tell my wife ! )and everytime I read a gun magazine or get into a discussion with a buddy about the pros and cons of any kind of gun ...my wife gets a little jumpy too ... but they always come around ....

I stopped the other day and looked at a new Honda Goldwing ...for a little over $ 30K out the door ...and she was less than impressed when she saw the brochure laying on the counter .../ but despite my obvious flaws ...she still puts up with me ....( and father's day is coming up ...) ...so leave a brochure laying around ...you never know, it might work ...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
AHHH YESSS!!! I forgot about the big "F" day...

Callin mossberg to get a catalog and see if they have a handy dandy brochure or 6 to strategically place... is there a etiquette limit on how many to place?

As for that "Wing"... They are a nice ride but I had no clue they were up to that sort of price... is it a custom variety? As for me, I would be enjoying the motor output too much... It is a good thing for Harley that most "wing" riders don't like to twist the wick and let the ponies run loose!:D;)

Brent

TheKlawMan

Let's not pick on Hondas. I know little about them, even if I had what I believe was called a Super Hawk prior to going to Nam. I think it was a whopping 305 cc. I still miss my 1969 XLH (electric starter) Sportster. By the 70's the Japanese were kicking ass technologically and I marvel at what I see on the road these days. Get the bike, Jim.

BigJimP

The Gold Wing I was looking at was the air-bag version / and it had all the options I'd want - GPS, CB, ( wide seats ), .... but I'd still add on some Drag Specialties stuff ...vs some of the OEM gingerbread that I thought was tacky...but I don't know if I want one or not ...( I've had quite a few bikes / sold my 98 Goldwing a few yrs ago because I wasn't riding it much ...) / if I lived in a drier climate ...I'd be tempted ..but I was just looking ... But it is amazing how big a reaction it got from her ...and it wasn't positive !!

but we digress from shotguns ....shhhh....

get that brochure on the shotgun ...tell her you're just looking, you love classy looking things, like her ...and remember 14kt gold, one size fits all, always makes a nice gift for her...and if it has a power cord, and plugs in, it is not a gift for a woman !!! ...and good luck...

zippy13

Jim, I saw in another thread that your typical Tuesday at the range is rained out, again. In your neck of the woods isn't motor cycling season pretty much limited to the third weekend in August? ;)

BigJimP

Yes, but the Goldwing has heated seats / and heated grips too ...

but yes, maybe 10 dry weeks a year is the best we can hope for in the NW ...and that's why its probably not going to happen ...

but in terms of Brent's semi-auto ...I hope his odds are better on getting that gun ...

TheKlawMan

Jim. Have you considered a side car? I always thought would be a blast, especially if it isn't too difficult to detach, and the wife might give in if you explain how she could have fun with you.

lmccrock

To get back to shotguns.... :)

Well, Mossberg is claiming to be coming out with comp guns as a line. Might even see J.M's sig. on them. But I do not know if they are reconsidering the ported barrel thing
The 3-gun 930 will NOT have porting, because the features are known, but no availability has been announced. Oh, you can buy a 24" unported barrel as a replacement right now, but it is not yet sold on a gun.

orangello

Thanks for this thread; i wondered about the porting that i saw on the Mossberg website. I've never shot a ported firearm and wondered about the unintended effects. I fear my aged 500A may need to be put on "lite duty" soon.

zippy13

orangello,
The main difference you'll probably notice is less barrel rise will let you get on a second target quicker. You may feel a reduction in kick -- some do and some don't. As far as noise is concerned, I always shoot with ear plugs and have never really noticed any difference.

Expect to clean the plastic built-up, from the wads, out of the holes from time to time. An appropriate solvent like Shooters-choice will make the job a lot easier.

oneounceload

My friend Zippy and BigJim are on one side of the porting and I am on the other.

As I posted earlier, the serious target guns do not come ported. If it is to reduce muzzle rise for a faster second shot, why does Browning port the top barrel when it is recommended to use the lower barrel first?

Even with plugs, the blast can easily be detected by folks on either side of you. Since muzzle blast vibration contributes to hearing loss through bones in the middle and inner ear, it is not something to ignore.

Drilling holes does nothing as far as actual recoil, it physically can't - whether someone can feel a reduction in perceived recoil is completely subjective with no data to substantiate it. Gun FIT is more critical.

Zippy, I have NEVER cleaned the holes on my 18 year old Browning - every time it gets a little gunk in them, the next shot tends to clear them out! :D

Like vent ribs, porting holes are great for collecting crud, even potentially corrosive gunk - yet another reason not to have them

BigJimP

Our friend OneOunce is just a purist ....no porting, no ribs ...only shoots 7/8 oz loads ...or 3/4 oz loads in his 12ga's ...

It doesn't keep us from picking on him ...but its just fine.../and while his opinion is in the minority ...its good for the discussion/even if he is wrong !
( call my Browning Citori XS Skeet models ..not a serious target gun again...:( ...) ...and I'm going to come down there ....!! / and I'm not using a dremel to take the ribs off either ...;) ....and I'm not plugging up the ports in the top barrel ...even if I do shoot the lower barrel 95% of the time ...

As a note: I use pipe cleaners and shooters choice to clean the crud out of my porting once a month or so / its no big deal.

oneounceload

Jim - I tried plugging them with black electrical tape - nope, didn't work.

I never said I didn't like ribs, let alone vented ones (and I won't even go near the baby backs with this) - I prefer a raised rib on my SxS, not a swamped one, and the vent does help somewhat with heat dissipation, but man does the gunk get in there - you never see a vent rib on a serious field gun because it can get snagged and gunked up.

As to your Brownings........;) if you ever get a chance to shoot a Belgian and a Jap alongside each other, you'll understand what i have said all these times about barrels and pigs on shovels...............:D

Besides, I'm not wrong............:p

BigJimP

Hey, I drive a Japanese car too ...what do you want from me.../ remember, there is a limit on what a "buffalo" will fit into as far as cars go ...( with some style at least ) ...

( my Citori XS Skeet models ...are my field guns ...) ;) ....ribs and all ...

have a good one ....