Point of impact off?

Walt Sherrill

elsancudo said:
If there is any way to clamp it down thoroughly on an immovable table, you can sight it with one shot. Clamp it down, fire at target, then adjust sights with a sight pusher until they line up on that one bullet hole.

That technique might work well if you had access to a Ransom Rest AND your gun had adjustable sights (that were adjustable enough).

Otherwise, it would arguably be a lot of trouble and would only work for WINDAGE adjustments, and not ELEVATION.

tipoc

I said this earlier and made a mistake when I did:

Again it seems a radical difference for such a close range. 3 yards is one long step away and 7 yards 3 steps away from the muzzle. If the point of aim was the center of the target then the sights would be visibly off to the naked eye. No need to measure you'd see them as off.

3 yards is about three steps away and 7 yards seven to eight steps. This is still a short distance in both cases.

The op has not been back so I wonder if he did what several here suggested...have a another shooter shoot the gun and see their results. This would be cheap to do and eliminate shooter error. Eliminate the simple stuff before spending money.

KODA94 said:
the hold I'm using is a "dead on hold" or a "cover up" hold.... matches what you are calling a "center hold". I personally don't like this hold although I do ok with it in my other pistol that shoots that way.
My understanding may be off, but I don't think the "cover hold" is the same as a "center hold."

I shoot 1911s using a conventional post-and-notch sight picture. Center hold is when the top of the front sight is aligned with the center of the bullseye. But ... as I mentioned in an earlier post, my experience has been that white dot sights and fiber optic sights that call for a "cover hold" are not regulated to the same point of aim as the tops of the sights.

HiBC

I suggest you review post 22.

Even a Ransom Rest can't zero a pistol for your grip and hold.

I don't understand the reluctance to evaluate the gun at 25 yds.

After reviewing post 22,if you shoot to a horizontal line with the sight picture level/flush,you have established the 25 yd variance between POI and POA for elevation..

Till then,forget all about center hold versus 6 oclock hold. Shoot only at the horizontal line. Once you have that data,if you prefer a 6 ocklock hold with an 8 in bull at 25 yds,GREAT! Set t up 4 in high from a horizontal line . That MAY mean a taller NM sight or equiv. Till you get the elevation,don't confuse the issue with windage.

After you have the elevation,you just drift the rear sight,but focus on perfect sght alignment for windage.

I suggest using a measuring tool such as a calipers to make adjustments to a calculation rather than beat and hope.

I get it,you paid a lot of money. I've found the combination of paying lots of money and having reasonable expectations often leads to buyers remorse..

If they will work with you,work with them....to a point. If they truly are not delivering quality,go ahead and out them.You owe them no favors.

For myself,I know shop math and I can run a Brideport mill.I can make a sight.

Maybe that's not possible for you. Most sight manufacturers will ft a sight for you. Talk with them. It might be if you do as I suggested in #22,you can send them just the slide with instructions "Its 22 inches low and 14 inches left at 25 yds from where I want the POI"

Its just shop math. They can fix that.no problem.

Without implying anything...I'm not there,be careful to assess wheter ts the gun (they can fix) or the shooter (they can't fix,but you can)

25 yds. Elevation,then windage. Large sample size Collect the data. Machnists can work with data

zeke

"Raise the "rear sight end". Where does the "point of impact" end go? It goes DOWN. Sight height is a calculated relationship, between front and rear, and desired point of impact Too high a rear sight and the pistol will shoot low. Too low, it will shoot high."

Raising the rear end of a pistol while keeping the front end stationary, will make it shoot lower, . Raising the height of the rear sight and shooting the pistol with the sights aligned makes the pistol shoot higher, as the you must raise the front sight of the pistol to align it with the rear.

You crank the rear sight of a pistol/rifle up to make the gun shoot higher, you crank it down to shoot lower.

You lower the height of the front sight to make it shoot higher, and raise it to shoot lower.

zeke

"Raise the "rear sight end". Where does the "point of impact" end go? It goes DOWN. Sight height is a calculated relationship, between front and rear, and desired point of impact Too high a rear sight and the pistol will shoot low. Too low, it will shoot high."

From post 34

tipoc

The op, Koda94, hasn't been back for almost 3 weeks. It would be good to hear back from him. Did he go to the range again and get someone else to shoot the gun? Did he measure the sights against the height of other 1911s with the same length of barrel?

tipoc