Pocket Carry

kraigwy

I started pocket carrying a little revolver when I was on the Anchorage Police Dept. It gets nipping in Anchorage every now and then and we were issued Parka's. They had a side zipper that was suppose to allow you access to your service revolver. Suppose to and doing is two different things. So I had the revolver in my coat pocket. With my hand in my pocket I was always ready, yet no one knew.

The I retired and moved south. A bit warmer in Wyoming. Plus I retired. So I simply slid my revolver in my pants pocket. Summer winter spring or fall, its always in my pocket. Its worked quite well for 20 years (come March 8th 2014).

I've tried several holsters and found none satisfactory. They slow down access to the gun quite a bit. Since I normally walk around with my hands in my pocket anyway, without the holster it takes me between 0.4 - 0.5 seconds to draw and get the first round off.

As to printing. I teach a woman's only Firearm Safety and SD class. Two of the ladies in my class are in our Square Dancing Club. We've danced together for over 10 years. It wasn't until they started the class did they realize the whole time I had a revolver in my pocket.

There are a couple do's and don'ts for pocket carry. Don't have anything in the pocket, especially change. A dime will get under the trigger, between the trigger and trigger guard. Best not to have anything share the pocket with the revolver.

Re-enforce the pocket. The front sight will eat a hole in the pocket lining. I eliminated this problem by using "sew on" patches to re-enforce the pocket lining. Just fold the patch over the bottom of the lining and iron it on. Works perfectly. Also helps eliminate printing.

The gun doesn't stick out as much as my keys/pocket knife and change in my other pocket.

Again, I tried pocket holsters, they hang up or slow you down. Most are going to come out with the gun.

The thing is you can walk around ready without people knowing, it less then 1/2 sec you can present the revolver or an empty hand, depending on the situation.

After a while, you never know its there, its you're constant companion regardless of the time of year, or where you are. Its accessible if you walking around, setting in your recliner, riding in a car. Its there, not stashed around the house where you cant get to it in a hurry but kids might find it.

Dragline45

I pocket carry everyday, except I cut out back pockets of old jeans and sew them inside my waistband. Much better than traditional pocket carry since I can leave part of the grip above the pocket for quicker drawing. I haven't carried with a holster for over 2 years and have used this method with anything from a S&W Bodyguard 380, to a Ruger SR9C. No bulk of a holster, extremely comfortable, and makes every pistol that much easier to conceal.

Rifleman1952

I've pocket carried a S&W .38 special for many years and now pocket carry a Bersa Thunder 380 CC. For me, 20oz fully loaded, is the heaviest I want to carry in my pocket.

Light weight snubbed nosed revolvers work well but have more width at the cylinder, and tend to protrude a little more than the semi-autos. Ultra small sub-compacts like the Ruger LCP, are very easy to carry, but not that much fun to practice with because of the snappy recoil. My Bersa is about the same size as a Ruger LC380/LC9, which makes it very comfortable to shoot. Some folks say that's too big for pocket carry, but it works well for me.

In cold weather, I carry a larger caliber in a shoulder rig, but during warm weather, nothing beats the ease and convenience of pocket carry. I've used Desantis and Uncle Mike's and both worked well.

Last edited:

bikerbill

My EDC for almost 10 years has been a Kahr PM9. I use either a DeSantis Nemesis or a Mika for pocket carry, kydex paddle holster when I want OWB, usually in the winter when I can cover it with a jacket ... When I walk my dog or am at home, I pocket carry an NAA Pug in .22WMR ... Find a gun you like (my PM9 has never failed in any way since new and is easy to shoot and accurate). Then get a good pocket holster .. dumping a gun into your pocket unholstered is a recipe for disaster ... good luck, saw a story that issuing agencies in IL are being overwhelmed by demand for licenses ... gun owners there should be proud of their efforts; it took a while but obviously, it's well worth it.

Justice06RR

For a true pocket pistol, you need something very small like the Ruger LCP. The LC9 is another option. A friend of mine pocket carried his and he is a smaller framed guy.

Other options are Keltec Pf9, Beretta Neo, and Khar Pm9(IIRC).

Your carry setup may also change depending on what size and type clothes you wear. So don't rule out IWB just yet.

Thespis

If you're truly committed to 9 mm, I'd second Viper99's suggestion of the Kahr PM9. I've found it reasonably comfortable to carry in a Desantis pocket holster. For real comfort and ease of carry, however, I will admit my preference for either my NAA .32 or my Sig 238 in .380. Each fits effortlessly in my right pocket and, thanks to good pocket holsters, is immediately and easily accessible.

Cheapshooter

If you're truly committed to 9 mm, I'd second Viper99's suggestion of the Kahr PM9.
Or with traditional rifling instead of the more expecsive paragonal style of the PM, and a few minor refinements left off for a $269 lower MSRP, the KAHR CM9 is every bit as capable.

Hook686

I carry a S&W M&P 340 in a RKBA pocket holster. When I first started this I got a shoulder holster and an ankle holster for when I was driving. I've pretty much given this practice up simply because it is a PITA to constantly move the revolver around. Though I must say a few times a year I will wear the 2nd holster, though at though times I fill it with a S&W 3913 and just keep the J-Frame in my pocket.

PSP

Nothing says "I have a gun in my pocket" better than a .38 in a pocket holster in my experience.

I know lots of people carry that way but I felt I print too much using that method.

Even the smallest gun print in pockets. It's just a fact of life. The subterfuge is that other people assume it's a key ring, an electronic device or such. Your gun is "hiding" in plain sight.

IMHO, the more important factor is weight. Sagging and lopsided pants draw more attention than the bulge.

specs

For me, it's a Ruger KLCR (357) , or an LC9 in a Concealment Systems pocket holster. Right front pocket in Wrangler Relaxed fit jeans.

Ruger45LC

For 9mm I would highly recommend a Kahr CM9.

6+1 capacity, slide locks back on last round, easily pocketable even in blue jeans, accurate and reliable and has a good set of sights on it. Plus the price is good and the trigger isn't bad, it's not got a short reset on it, but it's smooth nonetheless. You can buy an extended 7rd mag or two to keep as backup mags in the other pocket.

I had one and it was a pleasure to shoot, recoil wasn't bad at all (Kahrs are sprung rather tightly). Had a Diamondback DB9 (two actually) and they were terrible, slide bite city (because it sits VERY low in the hand, slide bites into your hand nearly every shot, there's nothing there to prevent this) and jammed constantly. The CM9 sits higher up so no slide bite, and it is bigger than an LCP, but it's not so big you can't pocket carry it, I use a basic Remora pocket holster for mine (CM9, then changed to CM40).

wayneinFL

I have carried a S&W J frame in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for years. It's there from the time I put on my pants in the morning, until the time I go to bed. I always have it. And the times when most people want one- walking through a dark parking lot at night, for example- I have my hand on it. Hard to do that with a gun on your hip, but walking around with your hand in your pocket is pretty inconspicuous.

And printing isn't a problem. The revolver looks like keys or a big cellphone in a pocket.

The only concerns with pocket carry are access while sitting down, and buying pants with big pockets.

Cheapshooter

Even the smallest gun print in pockets. It's just a fact of life. The subterfuge is that other people assume it's a key ring, an electronic device or such. Your gun is "hiding" in plain sight.

Besides, people don't ordinarily go around looking at other people's pockets.:D
Well, Most anyhow.:eek:

B.N.Real

I pocket carry a Taurus 38 special ultralight no problem.

If you pocket carry,the gun should be as light as you can get it and feel safe with it's performance.

The OP wrote:
I'm looking for what you all use for pocket carry and where that threshold lies in size for effective pocket carry.

I suggest you visit a few gun shops/gun shows and slip a few different pistols in your pocket (with permission, of course) to see what actually works best for you. A gun's weight, bulk and contours will probably be the deciding factors.

In addition some pants work better than others for pocket carry.

You should be able to acquire a firing grip and quickly draw it from your pocket while standing, with one hand, with little effort. Bulk and contour will dictate.

Good luck!

jamaica

Ruger LCP

I am liking the size of the Ruger LCP. It is a very easy pocket carry. I do use a pocket holster. Helps keep it oriented.

Garycw

I liked the size of the LCP. But not the grip. I opted for the TCP and even better the P238 in the mini class of CCW. Both felt much better to grip to me than the LCP. The Keltec was even worse