Pocket Carry

101combatvet

I often carry a 649 Bodyguard, the Airweight wouldn't be bad either. I would carry it holstered in the waist as opposed to pocket carry.

larryh1108

From everything you stated, it sounds like an LCP or similar size would be the right choice. Try a wallet holster which rides in your back pocket like a wallet and prints like a wallet. 6+1 is a great start to get comfortable with carrying and when the time comes where you wish to get something bigger, you can keep the LCP for special dress occasions or a BUG.

http://www.pocketholsters.com/index.html

spares in the other back pocket

Last edited:

Auto5

Contrast,

I'm in the near west burbs. I have Utah and Florida and my IL application is pending. Outside of the People's Republic of Illinois, I use a Ruger LCP with a Techna clip that I can either pocket carry or clip inside the waistband. I can pocket or holster carry my Kimber Solo. My Bersa BP9CC is either in an Old Faithful IWB or a Bersa pancake holster.

cryption

I only pocket carry. If someone mugs me it looks like I'm grabbing the cell phone when in fact I'm drawing my pistol. I've practiced to no end and it's a comfortable carry and a quick draw. My weapon of choice is the Sig p238. I've had a lot of experience with 380s and I've noticed that many are ammo picky - but this sig will shoot anything I run through it.

Impreza

TCP...
20140111_100935.jpg

20140111_100946.jpg

glh17

Concealment is a big issue for me even though TN permits open carry. My two carry guns are an S&W M&P 9c and a S&W 380 bodyguard.

I'm carrying the 380 more and more (well over 50% in the summer) of the time now because of concealment. I have an IWB holster from Kusiak Leather and a Tagua pocket holster for the 380. I pocket carry mostly when wearing tucked shirts.

You indicated you drive alot. While driving I usually put my 9c or 380 in the car console simply because either the IWB holster become very uncomfortable or I can't get to my pistol very easily. Some sort of crossbody holster might work better but I fine getting to my pistol is easy and quick in the console. If I leave the car, I holster since I don't like leaving it in the car.

Garycw

I only pocket carry. If someone mugs me it looks like I'm grabbing the cell phone when in fact I'm drawing my pistol. I've practiced to no end and it's a comfortable carry and a quick draw. My weapon of choice is the Sig p238. I've had a lot of experience with 380s and I've noticed that many are ammo picky - but this sig will shoot anything I run through it.

I could not imagine trying to pull a pistol if someone already has one drawn on you. A pistol in front pocket is likely to be taken from you and possibly used against you. IWB at 4 o'clock works for me and simulates pulling out wallet.
Sig P238 is my favorite too, but the TCP gets alot of carry time too 2:1.
a little smaller, lighter & no safety
u7esapyg.jpg

Cosmodragoon

I've owned tiny guns in .380 and I've sold all of them. The way I see it, any gun that has the trust of your life needs to be practiced. Shooting these were unpleasant, they felt flimsy, the triggers are generally terrible, and I worried that they would fail. (I know some people here would say that the last worry is more psychological than anything else but you've got to have faith in what you carry.) There is also some legitimate concern to be had over the power of the .380...

Something else to consider is what your pocket brings to the table. Warm salty environments can wreak havoc on metal over time. Some people new to this might argue that their pockets are dry right now, but things can change when you sandwich your pocket liner between you and a gun all day. Pocket lint can get into some surprising places too. So you should use a pocket holster of some sort with most garments even if the gun doesn't print much.

For my pocket-carry needs, I've settled on the superior mechanical reliability of revolvers. There are a lot of good choices out there but take a look at the hammerless LCR. It is small, light, and has the best trigger I've ever felt on a gun this small. It comes in a variety of caliber choices but honestly, .38 special will be the best choice for most people. It is more comfortable to shoot than you might expect and you can always bump up to +p if need be.

DannyB1954

I have a Diamondback DB9 that fits in the pocket well. One could also IWB or OWB if desired. In cooler months where I can wear a heavy long shirt, My Ruger SR9C is the favorite OWB

lee n. field

A pistol in front pocket is likely to be taken from you and possibly used against you.

How? How is it going to be any easier for an assailant to get to a gun carried in the front pocket, than the user?

Garycw

How? How is it going to be any easier for an assailant to get to a gun carried in the front pocket, than the user?

I would imagine they would want everything in your pockets. If they already had a gun pulled on you (most likely) I wouldn't want to hand them another one or get shot pulling it out either.
I have carried on occasion in front pants or coat pocket, but IWB @ 4 o'clock 90% of the time. It's deep concealment and a much quicker draw for me.

Cirdan

For pocket carry, I have a Ruger LCP. Can be carried in almost any pants in any weather, and no one will know you've got it.

Having said that, and after wasting money on a bunch of different holsters, I finally broke down and did what I should have done from the beginning. I bought a Galco King Tuk for my Glock 26. DeSantis and Alien Gear make similar holsters. I was initially put off because it's a big slab of leather with a small holster attached. Now that I have it, I'm kicking myself for not buying one sooner. You can wear an un-tucked shirt over it, or tuck the shirt in around the clip.

Buy a GUN BELT, forget the garbage you get in the regular stores.

colbad

I often carry my SW 642 in stainless when just kicking around due to exposure to sweat. It is a great gun and is often in the pocket of an overcoat in winter when traveling. One of the advantages of the revolver is that you can have your hand on the FA and shoot through the coat lining if necessary. Cant normally do this with auto w/out it jamming. I also find it very natural when talking to people to have my hand on the grip inside my pants pocket.

I also often carry a G27 in pockets of loose fitting shorts. Both are in Mika carriers which work very well. If your objective is to have a FA close also consider an ankle holster. I cannot wear an ankle holster every day because the off balance weight starts to bother my hip. However, low risk carry in dress clothes w/o a coat is well suited to ankle. Also consider "thunderwear". You can google. It works VERY well and I used it often to carry a a Sig 229 undercover w/ no print.

PawPaw

I've got a Model 38 in my front right pocket all the time. I've had to draw it once. The goblin didn't stick around long enough to discuss my carry method. He recalled that he had an important appointment elsewhere.

Freakingstang

I carry a colt mustang for pocket carry. It is thinner and just a tad smaller than the sig 238. I had a sig 938 and couldn't get more than 200 rounds through it without failures and it having to go back to sig. three trips back made me sell it and get the colt.. I wanted 9mm, but 380 will still screw up your day. With this holster, it looks like an iphone in your pocket. It is one of the few 380's that is fun to shoot. The P3AT and LCP aren't a whole lot of fun to practice with. The colt has almost no recoil to its locked breech design vs most 380 blowback.

For size comparision, here is a beretta 950BS in 22 short and that is smaller than the 21a that you might be familiar with.

null_zpsbeab7d10.jpg

null_zps69f1b93d.jpg

null_zps685c34aa.jpg

Kreyzhorse

.38 snub, pocket holster. Done.

Nothing says "I have a gun in my pocket" better than a .38 in a pocket holster in my experience.

I know lots of people carry that way but I felt I print too much using that method. If you are really concerned with printing, I'd suggest something much smaller like a Ruger LCP.

Those small .380s really disappear in a pocket and are reliable and accurate for what they are.

MikeNice81

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/

I don't agree with his outcome. However, if you watch all of the videos, it shows how hard it is to find suitable self defense ammo for sub 3" barrel .380s. If you want to carry a .380 I would look in to the Ruger LC 380 or Bersa Thunder 380CC. Then test what ever ammo you think you want to carry. Check out the You Tube channels of TNoutdoors9 and Pocket guns and gear. They will give you some guidance in good choices for SD ammo.

Also .380 ammo is rather rare compared to 9mm. It also carries a premium price compared to the power of the round. I would personally consider a Glock 26 in waist band. If you're new to shooting the little pocket rockets may be a bit hard to learn with and force bad habits.