Pocket Carry

Contrast Man

Hello all,

Living in the wonderful state of Illinois for most of my life (except for a stint in WI prior to their carry laws) I have not been allowed to carry at all. Now that the new laws have finally gone into effect, well, in a few days, my focus has been to how and what to carry when I am so able to. Yes, I am aware of how long ago the court rulings happened and the law was actually passed, but I am currently a student and much of my effort has been put into that aspect.

That said, I understand I will not be able to carry on school grounds which explains the lack of haste I have. I figure by the time I'm approved and receive a license, it will be spring/summertime, limiting my carry options.

Because of this, and perhaps an irrational fear about printing, I'm thinking that pocket carry may be the best option for me at the current time.

I'm looking for what you all use for pocket carry and where that threshold lies in size for effective pocket carry. I would like to have a 9mm, but I wouldn't be against .38 Special or .380 ACP. I understand the limitations of pocket carry, but I would much rather have anything with me than nothing at all.

Some additional info; I would carry while at work and out running errands/whatnot. Work involves sitting at a desk for 95% of my shift, and running errands would involve driving (re: more sitting).

Thanks in advance!

jerryd

If i go out for a quick trip a charter arms off duty goes in my pocket small and a quick 5 shots.

SaxonPig

I don't enjoy carrying so I want small and light. I pack this Taurus 380 in a thin, fairly rigid pocket holster that obscures the outline of the pistol and enables a better draw. The holster is designed to grip the pocket and allow the gun slide out.

standard.jpg

KenL

I carry my Taurus TCP in a holster that I had made for me. It looks like a wallet, and I carry it in my right rear pocket. I am in industrial sales, so when I'm not driving to sales calls I'm at my desk. I hardly know it's there. It takes some practice to draw it smoothly. I can actually draw it easier when I'm sitting than when standing.

MandolinMan

It's not what you carry, it's how you carry it.

^^^ I definitely agree. I'm of fairly small physical stature and I've never had anyone notice my full size handgun.

I'm not very familiar with the new carry laws in Illinois. In my state I can legally carry open or concealed. So I really don't give a much thought to printing or "exposing" a firearm. Carrying a full size doesn't bother me.

If I legally had to stay concealed though, and was worried the legal hassles of my firearm printing or being exposed, especially in a state completely unfamiliar with concealed carry, Pocket carry might be a great choice. With one caveat: The right gun for the job.

A couple choices to consider would be: S&W airweights(442,642,638, etc) Ruger LCP, or Sig P238 and 938,

If you are a steel aficionado, find a nice little Polish P-64 "CZAK". Very similar in size and outward appearance to a Wather PPK (although with several design superiorities, in my opinion), fires the 9X18 Makarov cartridge (half-way between a .380 ACP and a 9MM Luger), solid and dependable as a tank. Get a Robert Mika pocket holster and you'll be good to go! ;)

Erikbal

I've got a S&W Bodyguard .380 that I sometimes pocket carry. I used to pocket carry it all the time til I got a nice theis IWB holster for it. It's pretty accurate for a small pistol and has been 100% reliable.

Koda94

I'm looking for what you all use for pocket carry and where that threshold lies in size for effective pocket carry. I would like to have a 9mm...
The Sig P938 is about my threshold for size in pocket carry, and the 938 fits that criteria well, with the right pocket holster it prints like a wallet. What I like best about it is how it shoots, for such a small size it handles the 9mm well. It does kick, but its accurate and the full size night sights give it the edge that makes it feel like its full size counterpart when acquiring the target.

markallen

I have never had a problem with weight while carrying in my pocket.
I have carried a Ruger SP101 .357, a Keltec PF9 9MM, a S&W 642 .38+P ( this is what I carry when I have to wear dress pants with a vertical pocket slit).
I currently carry a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special in my pocket.
The beauty of pocket carry is you don't have to mess around with cover garments. If you have to disarm you don't have to worry about a empty holster that some one can see, especially when going in and out of schools.
The biggest problem is drawing while you are seated, but with some practice you can palm your gun and transfer to a coat pocket. Which is handy when it's cold outside.
Plus if needed you can actually have your gun in hand without drawing attention to yourself, unlike having to sweep coats and shirts out of the way.
One thing to think about....A revolver will practically disappear in a pocket. And look softer in your pocket due to the contours of the gun. The semi's will look blocky, and even with the right holster are more likely to look like you have a pistol in your pocket.

Last edited:

sirgilligan

I really like the way the Walther PPK/S shoots. This is a .380 ACP that is flat so it goes into a pocket well.

Here are some results at 10 yards:

ppk_1.png

Auto5

It's always a good practice to keep your ccw concealed, but I wouldn't get too worried about it. The Illinois law provides for "concealed or mostly concealed". The "mostly" part was specifically but in to protect you in case of printing or inadvertant display of your firearm.

Rifleman1776

With concealed carry laws I believe the first criteria for choosing a carry pistol is concealability.
For this reason I choose the Ruger LCP. Not 'catchy' edges, very light, fits my hand (but not everyones) and is ideal for pocket carry. For most of my slacks it goes in my back right hip pocket with my handkerchief. However, I have a few slacks where that pocket is too large and it is hard to remove the gun. In that case it goes in my right front pocket and is very comfortable.
I do wish my state, Arkansas, had an open carry law. That would make things easier for everybody.

lee n. field

I'm looking for what you all use for pocket carry and where that threshold lies in size for effective pocket carry. I would like to have a 9mm, but I wouldn't be against .38 Special or .380 ACP. I understand the limitations of pocket carry, but I would much rather have anything with me than nothing at all.

.38 snub, pocket holster. Done.

skoro

I would much rather have anything with me than nothing at all.

That's me, too.

I've had my CHL for almost 6 years now. I'm not a guy who will dress around a gun. I'm a real low risk sort and very unlikely victim. I pocket carry almost exclusively. So, that means compact firearms in pocket holsters, speaking of which, I like Robert Mika holsters best. My carry rotation includes a Keltec P3AT, Keltec PF9, S&W 642 and an XDs45, a recent addition. Which one I carry depends on how I'm dressed that day. In my scheme of things, having a small, easily concealable firearm is vastly preferable to having a large, hard to conceal weapon that may or may not be carried regularly.

Others have different situations and different requirements. Each of us has to evaluate our needs and plan accordingly.

Contrast Man

The Illinois law provides for "concealed or mostly concealed"

This I did not know, thank you!

especially in a state completely unfamiliar with concealed carry,

This is the part that does concern me though. Even if mostly concealed situations are legal, that won't stop whoever catches a glimpse from potentially freaking out, especially as I live fairly close to Chicago.

My initial instinct was to go with a snub, but I thought a single stack 9 may pocket better. All this info is great, and I think I'm going to go with a 642/442 especially as I already have a 686. Now I have to decide between stainless or their matte finish.

Also, what specific pocket holsters do you use? I heard the Robert Mika, are these generally the standard?

Cheapshooter

My EDC/BUG pocket carry is a Ruger LCP carried in a DeSantis Nemesis or Superfly pocket holster. Either on it's own, or as a backup to either a KAHR CM9 or Springfield Armory XD40 Subcompact carried IWB in a Theis Hybrid holster. In pants with larger pockets te KAHR is carried in it's own Nemesis in place of the Elsie Pea. Also, I have the option of a Ruger LCR in 38 Spcl. +P in a DeSantis Nemisis. The Ruger plastic revolver mostly gets coat pocket carry in the coldest weather.
Bottom line with all these options, they all conceal perfectly either in pocket, or IWB with no printing.
http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...-640-640-1-642-2-14/POCKET-HOLSTERS/Super-Fly
http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...40-640-1-642-2-14/POCKET-HOLSTERS/The-Nemesis
http://theisholsters.com/

lee n. field

Also, what specific pocket holsters do you use? I heard the Robert Mika, are these generally the standard?

Mika's good. Made to order for your gun.

DeSantis Nemesis is a good off the shelf pocket holster. Uncle Mike's or a knockoff of it is more likely to be in the StuffMart, and is "OK".

My initial instinct was to go with a snub,

Get a snub. Spend the effort to learn to shoot it.

Get pants with big enough pockets.