Pocket Carry Suggestions?

FITASC

With basic shorts I have carried a 642, Kahr CM-9 and the LCP. The LCP gets carried the most in the pocket because I can wear it with ANY shorts, including basketball type that have no belt.

7.62 man

I carry a SIG P938 (9mm) in a Uncle Mikes size 36 pocket holster.
It works great in a jeans pocket or a baggy shorts pocket for summer wear.

Prof Young

Couple of good guns . . .

Lotta choices for pocket carry these days. I can tell you about Beretta Pico and Kel Tek P3AT. The pico is a well made gun. Relatively easy to care for and, in my experience quite reliable. I just couldn't shoot mine as well as I wanted to, and switched over to the Kel Tek P3AT, which I can shoot much better. It too is well made and reliable. I think the difference between the two is mostly in the trigger. Anyway I've pocket carried both guns, always in a pocket holster, usually in a circumstance where I can't comfortably carry a bigger or better gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young

jackstrawIII

So, did some experimenting the other day. Seems like you guys are pocket carrying a pretty wide variety of sizes and shapes.

I have a Sig P365 (I carry it IWB at times) and I was trying that out in the pocket the other day (unloaded) and it was super obvious. I have a remora holster and the whole package was way too bulky.

Would something like the LCP be noticeably smaller?

Or should I try the P365 with a different holster before I give up on it? I was also looking at the Sig p938 (because of the 1911 style safety) but it’s basically the same size as the 365, so that’s not hopeful. But maybe a better holster would make a difference?

Thanks for all the help guys.

2wheelwander

When I pocket carry its a Smith 642 Airwieght in a DeSantis. Duluth brand pants have large pocket, very we made and seem designed for CC

SATRP

I've tried more than a few. I've found that the Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM to be the best of the best. But that's merely my opinion.

jar

So, did some experimenting the other day. Seems like you guys are pocket carrying a pretty wide variety of sizes and shapes.

I have a Sig P365 (I carry it IWB at times) and I was trying that out in the pocket the other day (unloaded) and it was super obvious. I have a remora holster and the whole package was way too bulky.

Or should I try the P365 with a different holster before I give up on it? I was also looking at the Sig p938 (because of the 1911 style safety) but it’s basically the same size as the 365, so that’s not hopeful. But maybe a better holster would make a difference?

I have the Sig P290 in both 380 and 9mm as well as quite a few somewhat smaller 380s.

First, I've never had a problem pocket carrying my Sig P230 or an East German Makarov or one of my Sig P290RS provided I use the right pocket holsters. For the two former I find a heavy leather Alessi holser for the Sig P230 works best and for the two latter Sigs I use a Desantis 111 MK.

But they are all larger and heavier than my modern 380 Pocket pistols.

Of the pocket 380s I find the Remington RM380 the most comfortable to shoot with my S&W M&P BG380 very close once I put some grip tape on the slide and added a Hogue HandAll on the grip. My Beretta Pico has slipped to third place among the small pocket 380s and the latest iteration Ruger LCP is simply not even close and has been relegated to guarding the safe.

Here are some pictures as size comparison with a Sig P290RS that was the predecessor of your P365.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Of the three, the Pico is by far the slimmest yet soft in hand at the range.

The BG380 has been near perfect after an initial issue of the slide not locking back that required a quick trip back to the Mother ship.

The RM380 simply fits my hand as though it was made just for me. It's the one I liked enough to buy two so I would have a spare on hand.

standard.jpg

Cosmodragoon

If you like the P365, try another holster first. Pocket holsters should cover the trigger, manage pocket orientation, and help to break up the profile for less printing. Sadly, it might not be enough. I talked a little about this in my earlier post. Needing to have the magazine inside the grip imposes limitations on both grip shape and angle. Once you get up into 9mm, the overall package can get more awkward for pocket carry.

At least for me, a pocket .380 like the LCP or Bodyguard is easy. I haven't tried the P365 but other small nines like the PPS and Shield really push the envelope. The LCR is bigger than the pocket .380s but works because the overall shape is different.

tallball

With cargo shorts it's a Ruger LCR 38 special in a DeSantis pocket holster.

In a breast pocket of a flannel shirt, or jean's pocket, it's a Ruger LCP 380acp in a Desantis Nemesis.

I have small 9mm's, but they are noticeably larger than the micro 380's.

kenny53

I pocket carry a LCP in a sticky holster weak side, sometimes I carry the LCR 22mag weakside, and I have been pocket carrying a M&P 9c strong side also in a sticky holster. I have run into a problem lately. I have lost 50 lbs so far and went into a smaller size pants. These pants have smaller pockets. I can get the guns into the pockets just fine but getting them out again has become difficult. Thinking about hitting a pizza buffet or two and get back in the bigger pants.

wild cat mccane

I carry my P365 in a Smartcarry holster.

I also own the LCP. Yes. The overall sizedifference is large even though the numbers appear little.

Cosmodragoon

In a breast pocket of a flannel shirt, or jean's pocket, it's a Ruger LCP 380acp in a Desantis Nemesis.

That's impressive. I've carried pens and pen lights in the breast pocket of shirts. I rather enjoy carrying a pocket knife there but it really has to be the right combination of knife and shirt. Carrying loose without a clip is one thing. Having a thin and lightweight knife that balances well on a loop-over clip is wonderful when it works out.

I have a hard time imagining a firearm up there... What kind of flannels do you wear?

pwc

All of this is very interesting, but there is another dimension that hasn't been addressed....IWB/OWB leaves pockets for more "normal" use for change, keys, money clip, small pocket knife or other more normal things.

Pocket holster, sticky or otherwise takes room, and a mag/speed loader on the other with normal pocket impedimenta is problematic too. How do you carry the stuff needed for everyday life; and don't say "i just carry a credit card".

PSP

I chose the Beretta Pico as my pocket carry because it has every feature I desire in a pocket gun; DAO trigger, ultra thin profile, snag free and small overall. It also has the modular design that allows complete takedown in seconds, the ability to have three different frames with integrated light or laser or plain-Jane. The Pico has excellent sights. Mine has been completely reliable with a wide variety of ammo. Choose either the flat base mag or an extended mag base. The price is right and the quality is high. Personally I use the laser equipped model and like it very much.

I've also carried the wonderful Seecamp LWS32. So tiny and reliable.

I use the thinnest holster I can find. Nothing else goes in that pocket, no change, no keys, nothing but holstered gun.

JERRYS.

All of this is very interesting, but there is another dimension that hasn't been addressed....IWB/OWB leaves pockets for more "normal" use for change, keys, money clip, small pocket knife or other more normal things.

Pocket holster, sticky or otherwise takes room, and a mag/speed loader on the other with normal pocket impedimenta is problematic too. How do you carry the stuff needed for everyday life; and don't say "i just carry a credit card".
I'm not diabetic or have any other health issues so when I carry with limited pocket numbers it isn't a problem. wallet in back pocket, keys and spare mag in off side front pocket, cell phone in other back pocket with knife clipped in, gun in strong side front pocket. I don't have the excessive need to chap stick my lips all the time or write down license plate numbers on a pad of paper. I don't have a bunch of keys like Snyder from one day at a time, basically if I'm in shorts or pants and a regular leisure shirt I'm not trying to solve the world's problems.

I've seen some photos of what people carry everyday and see it reasonable for when wearing a suit or some other type of jacket which affords an increase in pocket numbers.... but if I need to carry a back pack or fanny bag to get through the day, am I really relaxing on my time off? that said, I don't usually pocket carry like that. when I'm not working I usually do not wear a tucked in shirt so a gun and spare mag on the waist line is what I usually do.

Onward Allusion

How do you carry the stuff needed for everyday life; and don't say "i just carry a credit card".

Er, my EDC consists of: knife, keys, primary & BUG, wallet, & a large screen phone. Granted, the wallet is one of those super thin things made from sailcloth and knife is just a 3" Gerber folder... We have a casual dress code at work so I wear jeans to work. I do toss my primary gun in my briefcase when I get to the office, however.

...so unless one is thin as a rail and wears skinny jeans, it can be done. :D

rpseraph

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP II in an Alabama Kydex Front Pocket Holster probably 4-5 days per week. I am also in a professional environment that sometimes does not allow for IWB carry.

I also carry a flashlight, multi-tool, and pocket knife always everywhere all the time. I have lots of different combos I rotate between for these items. I have set-up for a form fitting light summer suit, and a setup for cargo pants and a winter jacket :)

I am trying to work in a small med kit somewhere on my body.. I have one in my work laptop bag and my car... but it's something I'm trying on-body (PPE, tourniquet, maybe a chest-seal, some gauze, work in progress)

reteach

How do you carry the stuff needed for everyday life

I do carry more stuff on my belt - phone, knife, extra mag or speedloader - when I carry my pistol in my pocket. I almost always keep my shirt untucked, so those things are usually covered, but when they're not, it doesn't matter. I like to keep the gun concealed.

So, gun in right front pocket, keys, change (in a small leather pouch) and maybe a small pocket knife in left front pocket, wallet in left back pocket, and bandanna in right back pocket. The bandanna is there for multiple uses, including first aid kit. Phone, reload and large folding knife on the belt, all in Klein tool pouches that look less than tactical.

I did find some pants at Cabela's that have an extra pocket on the right front side, sort of behind the regular pocket. They don't look like cargo pants or tactical pants and the extra pocket can hold one of those belt items.