Pocket Carry Suggestions?

wild cat mccane

LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis like above. Magguts springs give your 7 rounds in the stock size magazine.

In professional modern dress, I don't think many others are real options.

Pico is slightly thinner, but worse trigger in my opinion.

Also just got a P365 and have a SmartCarry holster.

Coloradohtr

When I pocket carry I carry a S&W 638 in my right pocket of my jeans, shorts, or sweats without a holster and without anything else in the pocket. During the colder months I just through it in the pocket of my jacket with nothing else in the pocket as well. Its fast, comfortable easy to get to either way. With the bobbed and shrouded hammer it wont snag or hang up on anything when drawing. I also carry a speed strip in my back left pocket.

Every J-frame Smith I've shot and even the Ruger LCR .38spls and .357mags I've shot have been very accurate pistols for what they are and they are very reliable.

Cirdan

Used to carry an LCP in a wallet holster (flat slab of leather backing so it didn't print).

Gave up the LCP when I bought a good gun. Now I mostly carry in a coat pocket with a simple Uncle Mike's.

Cosmodragoon

1. I pocket carry about 70% of the time. I started doing it in the summer when I couldn't count on an adequate cover garment for larger guns. It grew on me because compared to other carry methods, it is the quickest, simplest, and easiest by far. (I still carry larger guns with other methods during colder weather.)

2. I started with an LCR 38 and later moved to an LCR 327. I've tried other things but in most of the pants I wear, this works out fine. I prefer either of those calibers to the .380 you get in most pocket semis. The .327 is reasonably powerful without going overboard on recoil, plus it's a six-shooter. The cushy stock grip helps with the .327 Federal. Some people worry about that grip being too grippy in the pocket but believe me, it will smooth up just fine without losing any benefits after some regular contact with your pocket material. I find that the slight curve of the hammerless revolver aids in the draw versus some types of semi-auto.

Carrying a revolver obviates the need to find something without a manual safety. I don't like manual safeties on EDC guns. It's an extra thing to fiddle with on a tool you might need in a hurry during who knows what kind of messy situation. You've already got increased difficulty in seated draws with pocket carry so why lean into the punch?

Revolvers have a reputation for reliability anyway but I've found the LCR to be extremely reliable. About once a month, I'll start a range session with a pocket draw and shoot up my carry ammo. (I recommend the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal.) I run some rounds through it. I give it a thorough cleaning and some non-toxic lube. Then it goes right back in the holster.

3. I use the Elite Survival in size 3. This is an inexpensive holster but it works very well. It covers the trigger area sufficiently for pocket carry. It carries comfortably. It draws cleanly from most of the pants I wear. (That's a key factor and something you'll want to practice with whatever you choose.) Like with some other pocket holsters, you can draw the gun with the holster attached by sliding a finger over it, holding, and using the correct angle for your pocket. It might not be readily apparent but there are advantages to being able to quickly and safely remove and/or store a still-holstered gun. As far as reliability goes, I literally have over a thousand days on mine. Here is an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Survival-Pocket-Holster-Revolvers/dp/B003C5UR4Y

USNRet93

I pocket carry a Taurus M380 all the time. Have a 'ClipDraw' clip on it..looks like a knife clip..the VERY long DAO trigger makes it safe..

Attachments

• IMG_4105 copy.jpg
    IMG_4105 copy.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 30

jar

Pocket carry often and for many decades. Ustawuz snub-nose revolvers but more likely a 380 or other 9mm flavor semi-automatic. Usually weak hand pocket.

Sig P230 or P290RS. The former 9mm Kurz (380) in an Alessi pocket holster and the latter could be either 380 or 9mm in a Desantis Pocket holster.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

For many years an East German Makarov in 9mmMak in the same Alessi holster as the P230.

standard.jpg

When even smaller size is the best option either a Remington RM380 or S&W M&P BG380 is the most likely choice in a Beretta pocket holster that came with the Beretta Pico.

standard.jpg

medium800.jpg

The Pico has night sights so it is the one most often carried in low light or as bedside first choice.

jmhyer

I'm down with th LCP in just about any made-for-pocket-carry holster. Break it down every week to blow or wipe out any pocket lint/particles and add a tiny amount of lubrication to the rails.

unclenunzie

pocket options

Your parameters are 6'4, 200 lbs, clothes on the tighter side, work in a professional environment so potential exposure is not acceptable. Gear choices are 9mm or 38 special. DA or single action with safety. I will assume that DA means DAO for a revolver and similarly a hammerless/striker type pistol.

I think a 642 or LCR with boot grips in the front pocket might work, but these are slightly larger than a semi auto and this will make a difference.

Better for concealment would be a true pocket nine because they are flat and small, though if you are open to 380 or even 32 the flattest and easiest to conceal guns are in those calibers.

The only pocket size nine I am personally familiar with is my Kahr PM9, which when fully loaded with gold dots weighs just under 20 oz (without holster). I have used a Desantis super fly holster which has a velcro-attached anti-print panel which can be adjusted. It's a little thick and tends to be a lump in the pocket like a paperback book or perhaps a larger wallet. I also have an Aholster kydex front pocket holster which is thin and very well made, but can print some if your pockets pull tight to your leg.

Attached are pictures in and out of Aholster kydex front pocket holsters for comparison.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20190512_114220 smaller.jpg
    20190512_114220 smaller.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 470
  • 20190512_114013 smaller.jpg
    20190512_114013 smaller.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

TomNJVA

I keep my LCP II in the Ruger pocket holster it came with. Since it is an SA pistol without a mechanical safety, it never leaves the holster unless I intend to shoot it. Then I withdraw the holster and gun together as a unit from my pocket.

I realize this means sacrificing a second of time to discard the Ruger holster in a quick draw situation, but I am squeamish about withdrawing the gun from the holster while still in my pocket given its light SA trigger, especially in a panic. This is why I have resisted the temptation to get a DeSantis Nemesis holster with its viscous material that holds the holster to my pants. I think I would rather separate the gun from the holster when outside of my pocket where I have more visual and manipulative control.

wild cat mccane

Truth be told, if someone offered me something around the length of a dollar bill and an inch think to carry in my pocket, I would say no thank you. :)

JERRYS.

Some of you have big pockets!
exactly.

6'04" at 200 lbs. is skinny, coupled with wearing tight pants, none of those pocket carry options will work. sure they'll fit in his pocket but everyone will know he's got a gun because of the printing. relatively tight cuff straight leg pants also rule out ankle carry. if he leaves his jacket on, a small auto worn IWB could work well.

dgludwig

At this time, my pocket carry gun choices include two revolvers (a vintage Colt Cobra and a S&W Model 12; both chambered in .38 Special and both having a 6-shot cylinder capacity) and one semi-auto, a Ruger LCP, chambered in .380 ACP). One disadvantage revolvers have when a reload is needed is that bulky speed loaders should be carried on the same side of the body as the gun-easy to do if you're wearing a jacket; not so much if not (unless you store them in a speed loader carrier on the belt; not the best option when concealment is wanted, the very reason the revolver is being carried in a pocket in the first place).

Spare magazines for autos, of course, are best toted on the opposite of the body from where the pistol is being carried, exactly where they should be if one is needed in a hurry.

Just some things to consider when carrying a handgun in a pocket.

Last edited:

lee n. field

Your parameters are 6'4, 200 lbs, clothes on the tighter side, work in a professional environment so potential exposure is not acceptable. Gear choices are 9mm or 38 special. DA or single action with safety. I will assume that DA means DAO for a revolver and similarly a hammerless/striker type pistol.

I think a 642 or LCR with boot grips in the front pocket might work, but these are slightly larger than a semi auto and this will make a difference.

Better for concealment would be a true pocket nine because they are flat and small,

A snubby revolver has a more irregular, lumpish, shape than a small flat auto. And the Mika holster really works well to hide the profile.

As always, standard Internet disclaimers apply: IMHO&YMMV.

jclayto

For me, the LCP II is nearly impossible to beat when wearing office attire. I have a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster but often prefer the Ruger holster than ships with the pistol. I find the Ruger holster to be just a tiny bit thinner.

I also own and carry a Kimber Solo 9mm and LCR 38spl but find both of them a bit too bulky for pocket carry.

105kw

I carry a 442 S&W, using a Blackhawk pocket holster.
In winter usually in a coat or vest pocket.
In warmer weather, in my front pocket.

Carmady

I've noticed something about this pocket carry business. It seems like it could be viewed in two ways.

1) pick your pants (pockets) to fit your pistol, or

2) pick a pistol to fit your pants (pockets)

If you like tight pants and revolvers, and want to pocket carry, something has to change.