Pick a .380 - not what you think

chaim

I'm thinking about doing just that in a year or two, buying a larger .380 for range only use. My first choice is the Beretta 84 or 85 in nickel, second is the CZ 83 in nickel, and third choice would be a Walther PPK. If I come across a 9mm Mak (9x18) CZ 83 in nickel while I'm looking I'll probably go that way instead.

orionengnr

It should have some pride of ownership aspect, history, high level craftsmanship, etc.
Check, check and... check. :)
http://hkp7.com/p7k3.htm
HK P7K3. Includes .22LR, .32, .380 barrels.
Price tag is not for the faint of heart, but you won't see another one at every range/gun shop/gun show.
As a matter of fact, you may never see another one.

jaytothekizzay

Femaru M37

9ae17840119248cc0272a64bf63615f2.jpg

Sgt127

All my Walther PP series are in .32 (except on PPK/s in .22). That's my favorite caliber in that gun.

In .380, I have an old Colt hammerless, a Sig P232 and a stainless Govt model.

As a shooter: the Sig P232 (mines alloy framed...for range shooting, get the all stainless)

Or, find a Colt Govt .380. Being a locked breach, it's very easy shooting.

For American history, get the Colt 1903.

The new Remington RM380 is on my short list. I had a Rourbaugh. Never got it to run reliably. But, Remington bought them out and reintroduced the gun in .380. It's a very nicely made little gun from what I've seen.

Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have analyzed and overload work up with hot loads on (6) 380s and divide them into 3 groups:

1) Poor case support, thin chamber wall, low mass slide, wimpy recoil spring.
Was ok for me for the equivalent Buffalo Bore +P 90 gr
Kel-tec P3AT
Ruger LCP

2) medium case support, chamber wall thickness, mass slide, and recoil springs.
Was good for me for double loads
Jennings Bryco
Kahr P380

3) Good case support to the case web, chamber wall is thick, high mass slide, stiff recoil spring
Was good for me for triple loads
Husqvarna Colt 1903
Beretta 1934

Notice how locked up vs blow back had nothing to do with it.
Notice how the wimps will fit in your shirt pocket for easy carry.

I second the motion of the CZ-83 (mine is the 82 in 9x18 Mak.) or Sig 232.

Should you decide that a heavier DA trigger pull is acceptable: the commercial Russian Makarov, many of which are in .380. The DA pull is a fair bit lighter than my former Walther PPK/S, and has a much more acceptable recoil.

The actual Makarov guns (only consisting of Russian, EG, Bulgy, Chinese), most of which are only chambered in 9x18 Mak., are Possibly the most reliable semi-auto handguns ever manufactured, and rugged....should you decide to 'carry' one of these.
Yes, the OP's question is about .380s, and this is to clarify/keep the Russian Makarov in its own context.

106RR

380 Pick

I have a CZ83 with tritium night sights. Probably the most accurate 380 I have ever seen. I sent it back to CZ on a warranty claim and it returned with a very nice trigger job. Their corporate gunsmith was and may still be Mike Eagleshield.
It is most accurate with Fiocchi JHP. If concealment is not an issue, then the CZ 83 is great.

RECTIFIER

Like some of you, I thought I have no need for a small .380 autoI have several smallish 9mm's that conceal nicely, why do I need a .380.?

Then I found this little gem at a local gunshow.The KAHR Ct .380. it's really thin, it has decent capacity (8rds.) and with smooth trigger, it shoots like a dream.

Is is smaller than my Ruger SR22 as shown in the pic. Easy to conceal or as BUG.

i305vd6.jpg

Paul B.

"The USA model has a Wumpy-bump on the left grip. Someone claimed the P7K3 was not USA-legal without it, didn't say why."

Just another piece of crap contained in the 1968 gun control shoved down our throats. The "wumpy-bump qualities toward the point system used to allow importation. Kind of like Walther changing the grip of the PPK to the PP grip and calling it the PPK/s. In theory it makes the gun a "target" pistol. Without that bump it's (GASP!) a "Saturday Night Special" in the eyes of the feds.
Paul B.