Pick a .380 - not what you think

jonnyc

Most of you are widely missing the "History" requirement of the OP. Lots of great .380 pistols mentioned, but how many of them are originally in .380, and how many have any "historical" pedigree?

aarondhgraham

As to Beretta's "history" component,,,

As to Beretta's "history" component,,,
Howzabout they are the oldest firearm manufacturer on the planet. ;)

Just because of that,,,
They have more history than any other.

Aarond

RoughDivider

Oh I'll second the beretta M1934 I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend whose parents inherited one along with the 1908 Colt pocket hammerless. Both absolutely beautiful guns.

FITASC

I also have a 1934, dated 1943 WWII bring back. The slide WILL shred the web of your hand, especially if you like to use a high hand hold..........I bought a LCP to actually shoot.....;)

TailGator

My wife and I have his-n-hers P238s and we really like them, but I'm in the Beretta camp on this purchase. The 84 and 85 are really handsome pistols.

tallball

"I see some folks collect .380s like I collect old .32s..."

Maybe a thread will come up sometime. I think I have about four 32acp service pistols for show and tell. :)

As a mini 1911, the Colt Government kinda has the historical thing going.

BDM 9MM

A Sig 230 SL. Not a good range pistol, not a good carry pistol. Great looking, feels great in the hand - LOVE IT - can't bring myself to sell it.

rt11002003

Another vote for the SIG p232, the Beretta 84 and the Browning BDA. I tried to buy the SIG p232 in stainless, but if memory serves they had quit importing them. I settled for a blue/black finish. It is a super gun. My Beretta and Browning are both silver color. The finishes are completely different. I'd rate the Beretta and Browning higher, but their take down procedure is rough. In the interest of fairness, my Wilson Beretta 92G Brigadier take down is as smooth as silk.

g.willikers

Can I vote for "None of the Above"?
Got no use for .380.
If a low recoiling pistol is needed, downloading for a small 9mm would do the trick, while still retaining the choice for the more powerful 9mm.
Nope, don't see the need.

ligonierbill

It'll be a Beretta 1934 - Sophia before Americanization. I mean, who needs a mag release by their thumb. It has its share of historical infamy - Gandhi was assassinated with one.

Regards the .380, 9mm Corto, 9mm Browning (has more names than an Arabian prince), it's just another caliber. More than a .32 ACP, less than a 9x19. With the micro 9s available today, these old 32s and 380s are kind of out of date. But for most of the 20th century, these and the good 'ole 38 snubnose were the carry guns. I'm fine with light weight, never rust plastic, but there's something about the timeless feel of these old steel pieces. Of course, the new tech works in small pieces, and vest pocket 25s have been replaced by really small 32s. The Ruger LCP has become one of, if not the most popular pocket pistol. I bought some bullets this morning, and there are plenty of them designed for the .380, including a new collaboration between Sierra and Sig. Obviously, a lot of folks still like it.

So no, I won't be packing the Beretta. My PF 9 is just as small and a lot lighter. Heck, the Glock 23 works just fine if I really want to "go heavy". But I'm going to have some fun with her!

Northrider

A Bersa Thunder .380 is what I would go with. I have one as well as a Beretta mod 34 which I like very much. If you can find one of them, that would be good too.

cjwils

If it will mostly be a range gun, I say you definitely do not want one that is double action only, and you probably don't want one with a blow back action. It is surprising how nasty the recoil can be with a blow back action in a small gun.

HisSoldier

For a safe queen or a shooter I like the pride of ownership an all steel gun gives. Between the Sig P232 and the PPK or PPKs I choose the better mag release of the PPK series.
Striker fired and internal hammer guns are out for me.

There really has to be something more in the choices, are you looking for aesthetics? The PPKs and P232, I like the Llama with locked breech, but then I'm a 1911 guy.
Do you like interesting gun designs? CZ24 with it's rotating barrel, Savage 1907 in .380, Remington (The original all steel one) in .380 with it's way nifty hesitation lock. That Remington is also a handsome gun.

jrothWA

Go with either...

Colt Model M [1908] or Mauser HSC pre-warII.
Would like to rent a new Colt to compare with original.