Pellet Pistol Gun for wife

Urbanrecon

Unless I missed it, no one has suggested a Daisy BB gun?

Yes, I wonder if there is a reason for that. Oh, yeah. Probably because Daisy BB guns aren't even in the same league as just about any other air rifles/pistols out there.

Only on a firearm forum will you hear about killing a squirrel with a BB gun. I suggest anyone that does want to remove any pest with a Air Rifle to join a Air Gun Forum if you are serious.
The lack of knowledge about Air Rifles and pistols, for those that are new to them, or listening to internet posters making claims to killing squirrels or other pest is a major concern IMO.
Makes me wonder if all the thousands of new firearm owners out there now without any formal training or knowledge of firearms may be doing more harm than good. Both to themselves and to others.
To shoot any animal etc. with a Air gun requires a serious skill set and the Right Pellet and the the right Velocity.

Here is a primer that might be interesting to those that want to start into the sport.

General Airgun and Pellet Info

AIRGUN, CALIBER and PELLET SELECTION
by Tom Holzel

https://www.straightshooters.com/general-airgun-information.html

"Our Take" From Straight Shooters

mxLkIpu.jpg

Our Take Why & How

Getting The Most From Your Airgun

https://www.straightshooters.com/our-take-why-how.html

Last edited:

shurshot

Daisy BB guns, spring powered, are ok for mice at close range, but generally too weak for pest control, only shooting 300 to 325 fps or so at the muzzle. The Daisy model 880 pneumatic is far more potent.

BB's in general are very poor for dispatching game. Use a .20, .22 or .25 pellet. They deliver far more energy to the target. .177 will work too, but the aforementioned 2's hit harder.

That being said, in the early 80's, I used a Crosman 766 American Classic .177 pneumatic with BB's, to hunt and kill literally hundreds of red and grey squirrels, crows, doves, blue Jay's, turtles, frogs, feral cats, etc. That Crosman with 10 pumps spewed out BB's at well over 700 feet per second that would not only RIP through sheet metal, but with proper shot placement would easily drop small game. It was a super accurate air rifle, but designed for .177 pellets as a single shot, BB's as a repeater, the BB's were in a spring loaded magazine. Crosman BB's were more accurate, but the Daisy yellow tube fit in my blue Jean's pocket perfectly for an afternoon in the woods. I knew my gun and it shot well. :D

Crosman still makes the gun, but now it's called the 2100 classic. Looks kind of like a Remington rifle. Now I'm old and can afford what I want I like the Benjamin 392 .22 and Sheridan .20 pneumatic pumps and my old RWS Diana 45 .177. FAR more power as well as wood and blue steel!;)

Anyhow, my point is, BB's WILL work, out of a powerful gun with proper shot placement. But if there are better options available, why not use them?

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Hi, new here
quick question: Whats is pumping vs spring-action and why does it make a difference?
Pumping fills a tank/valve in the gun. usually 2-10 pumps, using the fore end or lever under the gun. you can adjust the power of the gun by how many times you pump.

springs guns usually use the barrel to cock a large main spring that is released when you pull the trigger.

In general, springs guns are more powerful than pump guns. for a .177 with a light weight pellet, you are talking around 650-700 for a pump gun, and around 1000 for a spring gun.

also most pump guns will shoot pellets and BBs, however spring guns will generally only shoot pellets.

Urbanrecon

Anyone here use a suppressor(s) with their pellet gun(s)? If so, do they work very well and if so which brands would you recommend?

Here is a Crosman 2250 I use for Rat Hunting. I bought the gun for $10.00 from a lady that did not want her son to have it. I then bought a steel receiver, a Lothar Barrel and a few other mods. I also bought a TKO Shroud. I also have a TKO on a Hammerilli 850.
These make the gun a total silencer. I mean no noise at all. You can only hear the Hammer Spring hitting when shooting and the Pellet hitting the target. The Lothar Barrel gives a unbelievable precision accuracy for the rats which you need.

3zdGC4h.jpg

TKO Website

https://ssl.tko22.com/

Last edited:

shurshot

Nice setup Carl! That's a neat little bunny buster! Hang onto that one!

I have a 2289G Backpacker I picked up 2 decades ago. Looks almost like yours, but with a green stock / forearm, and not as quiet or decked out. I just use the peep sight and it's dead on at 20 yards with 6 pumps. I was just shooting it the other day, still ripping through tin cans, original seals, valve, 2 decades later! No silencer, but it's pretty quiet. I always keep a couple pumps in it to seal the valve.

A Weirmuach HW50 .22 springer is somewhere in Germany, backordered... with my name on it. ;) These are pretty quiet without any suppression, moderate power, not 1,000 FPS, but 600 FPS or so (12 FPE), which is more than enough for 25 yard pest control / small game hunting. Always wanted one and I figured it was time. Nothing like a top quality, old school German springer, fine wood and deep blue steel. Spring is here, as are the destructive squirrels, rabbits and woodchucks and I have plenty of pellets!! It's relaxing on a sunny day to sit in the backyard with a cold beverage and quietly nail some tin cans. May as well do it with a top of the line airgun. Something to be said for pride of ownership. We only go this way once. :D

My son's Benjamin Trail XP Nitro piston .25 has a factory installed suppressor / shroud (?, whatever they call it!) and it works pretty slick, just a bit heavy. Yes, made in China, but I must admit I'm impressed. A quality built, accurate arm. Quiet, yet it hits about like a .22 short... perfect varmint gun if you have neighbors. This will take out coyote sized varmints. Cheap scope comes with it, but it works! The .25 is a serious step up from the .177 and .22 pellets. A little heavy for casual strolls in the woods, but to keep in the kitchen to protect your bird feeders or trash bins, it's perfect!

Last edited:
Nice setup Carl! That's a neat little bunny buster! Hang onto that one!

I have a 2289G Backpacker I picked up 2 decades ago. Looks almost like yours, but with a green stock / forearm, and not as quiet or decked out. I just use the peep sight and it's dead on at 20 yards with 6 pumps. I was just shooting it the other day, still ripping through tin cans, original seals, valve, 2 decades later! No silencer, but it's pretty quiet. I always keep a couple pumps in it to seal the valve.

A Weirmuach HW50 .22 springer is somewhere in Germany, backordered... with my name on it. ;) These are pretty quiet without any suppression, moderate power, not 1,000 FPS, but 600 FPS or so (12 FPE), which is more than enough for 25 yard pest control / small game hunting. Always wanted one and I figured it was time. Nothing like a top quality, old school German springer, fine wood and deep blue steel. Spring is here, as are the destructive squirrels, rabbits and woodchucks and I have plenty of pellets!! It's relaxing on a sunny day to sit in the backyard with a cold beverage and quietly nail some tin cans. May as well do it with a top of the line airgun. Something to be said for pride of ownership. We only go this way once. :D

My son's Benjamin Trail XP Nitro piston .25 has a factory installed suppressor / shroud (?, whatever they call it!) and it works pretty slick, just a bit heavy. Yes, made in China, but I must admit I'm impressed. A quality built, accurate arm. Quiet, yet it hits about like a .22 short... perfect varmint gun if you have neighbors. This will take out coyote sized varmints. Cheap scope comes with it, but it works! The .25 is a serious step up from the .177 and .22 pellets. A little heavy for casual strolls in the woods, but to keep in the kitchen to protect your bird feeders or trash bins, it's perfect!
You are going to love the HW50. Hope you get it soon. It shoots great out of the box, but you can do even more with it, with a Vortek Spring kit. I do not have the HW50 but have shot them many times including the R8 which was tuned by MC.
My HW30 (Beeman R7) has the Vortek kit. It added velocity, while at the same time making the very quiet gun even more quiet. Tom of Vortek actually designed the R7 using my gun to develop it. I was amazed at how smooth and quiet it was. He said "you think that is quiet, you should see how it does in 22.cal. (which yours is) Congratulations! The HW is a classic you will treasure for life.

http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/

seanc

Carl, that is one sweet setup! I have a plain-jane 2240, but love it for its purpose.

Urban: Moderators do work (airgun folks don't like to call them "silencers" for legal reasons).

I have an older Gamo Whisper in .22 and all you hear is the THUNK from the gas piston (I replaced the spring with a gas piston). Very quiet to anyone else, only the trigger puller hears that thunk. I also have a Benjamin Fortitude II in .177 and all I hear is the trigger lockwork and a very low "poot" when I have it adjusted for max velocity. When it's adjusted to lowest velocity (for indoor shooting) it's nearly silent, only the trigger lockwork is heard then.

Urbanrecon

Thanks guys. I have a 1322 and 2240 for backyard plinking but they're both too loud as is. I was looking at a TKO 6.5" slip-on and decided to try one out. It was only around fifty bucks.

I also saw a DonnyFL Koi 1.22 x 7 and an adapter on Donny's site. I figured what the heck, all I do is sit around and foolishly squander money anyway, and ordered one of those too, lol.

Now I have to figure out what to do about the front and rear sights. Damn things really suck you in, don't they? 70 bucks each for the guns (awhile ago), 25 for the stock, 200 for a couple "moderators", 45 for an adapter, looks like maybe another fifty bucks for at least one steel breech and who knows what for the sights/optics.

Maybe I should have just bought another Boxer, they're sorta entertaining too for a dog and probably cost less in the end!

kymasabe

Sorry. but the engineer in me would want to find a way to electrify the feeder station. Birds landing on the feeder would be safe but squirrels touching other components would get their chestnuts roasted.
...just my 2 cents...

Urbanrecon

The donnyfl koi makes this pellet pistol substantially quieter! Perfectly fine for backyard plinking now. Tell your old lady to find her own pellet pistol! ;)

langenc

As recommended-shoot to kill em.

When you trap and catch one, then what? Do you haul em and give someone else a problem?? n many states relocation wildlife is against the law for many reasons.

If you are a relocator just give each on a 'blaze' before you release--red/blue white whatever spray can of paint you have collecting dust. Then watch and see how long it takes the 'victim' to be back in the feeder. Better hurry home or they may beat you.

Had a couple friends do that and they found it hollarious.

Skans

For squirrels I'd use Just One Bite II Bait Chunks.

As for pellets shot at pests in a bird feeder, you need to be very careful about neighbors. However, if you live on acreage, I'd use a #12 shot 9mm round. [
10-0315217.jpg