Pellet Pistol Gun for wife

Randy1944

My wife is interested in a pellet pistol so that she can keep squirrels away from bird feeders. Can someone suggest one that is easy to handle and not complex? She wants a pistol. She is not a shooter but hates squirrels! Thanks

BillM

Does she want to harass them of kill them? At what range? Does she have a
cartridge pistol now that she is familiar with and she likes?

Randy1944

Distance is about 15 - 20 feet. She is willing to do most anything to protect her bird feed. Not necessarily kill them, just scare them away. She is not a shooter but does not dislike guns. Just never needed one.

Interesting about the squirt gun. We had not thought of that. We have squirrel proof feeders, but it is false advertising at its finest.

Skippy

An airgun that shoots plastic pellets could still injure or kill squirrels at that distance. My wife feels the same way about rabbits eating her garden plants and I popped a baby bunny to scare it out of a flower bed at about 5 yards and hit it in the eye. I had to put it out of is misery and told my wife I'd never do that again.

I think trapping them is the best solution. They are a pest for sure and will eat the wiring in your house put all kinds of soffit damage etc. They are smart, and never seen anything that will scare them off for good. And they are tough, typically they say Gray squirrell - 6 FPE head, 9 FPE vitals. I say nothing less than 9 fPE, And you have to be a good shot. Easy to wound one and then if you have neighbors the dang thing may run into the next yard to die. Now you have more possible trouble.
Not many Pistols out there that will kill them unless you spend some money. If you use a rifle spend a lot of time practicing. Very easy to miss and wounds.
I still remember one I shot and broke part of his spine. It was sickening to see the Poor guy trying to get away and dragging his limpness hind legs. Your wife might not like a sight like that. I do not and have been hunting all my life.

pete2

Squirrels are tough critters. A Soft air gun that shoots plastic pellets won't kill them. My Crossman .22 cal. gas pistol(advertised 400fps) won't kill them unless you stick it in their ear. Careful you don't get charged with cruelty to animals.

Randy1944

From the information here, I think maybe I will explore the super squirt gun. That sounds like the way to go. Any suggestions about those?

Reloadron

Interesting about the squirt gun. We had not thought of that. We have squirrel proof feeders, but it is false advertising at its finest.

During my career there was a joke between my boss and I. He would tell me Ron make the design foolproof and I always replied, Mike, there is no fool proof because fools are ingenious people.

I am sure we have all watched squirrels make death defying leaps to bird feeders as well as defeat designs to keep them out of the feeders.

Anyway, less breaking a bank common names like Crossman and Benjamin come to mind. Given the situation a CO2 powered in 22 cal comes to mind. You don't need a $500 plus target gun when a $69 gun should do fine. In most cases a near miss will dissuade the wild beast. :) Not like you planned squirrel for dinner. Just don't shoot the feeder. :)

I also like a sensor as long as it detects a squirrel and not birds or can distinguish squirrel from birds driving a solenoid for a water spray.

Ron

cslinger

If you are going to shoot them KILL THEM. A bad shot or underpowered gun will only wound them and cause unneeded suffering. Pest or not I don’t think an animal should suffer if it can at all be avoided.

That said I am in the trap / hose / squirt gun camp.

ballardw

IIRC there have been at least two TV shows dedicated to squirrels getting into "squirrel proof" feeders.

Persistent little buggers.

Pahoo

Save the pellets !!!

I finally settled on repelling or blocking them but it depends on your feeder design. My feeders are hanging from a double shepherds hook hanger, that in turn is sitting on top a pole. Squirrels can reach them but once they try to mount them, they just swing away. Then I installed a blocker on the pole that they can't get past. The only feed they get, is what is cast on the ground, by the birds. This set-up, works even when we are not there and save on pellets. Can you post a picture of your setup?

Before I came up with the blocker, I greased the pole and it did not last long. I wrapped fly paper around the pole and that worked great, until it got covered with hair, flies, wasps and other stuff. ....... :rolleyes:

My "Homemade" blocker, is simple, not pretty and works great ... :)

Be Safe !!!

Blindstitch

I got an Umarex Brodax revolving bb/pellet gun because I stumbled on it and several others at a severely reduced price. It killed a few squirrels at really close distances but was ineffective after 5 yards. I didn't try the other two I have because I had a Ruger Mark 4 right there loaded and was out in the country.

I almost wonder if one of those pump air pistols would be better.

FunGramps

Get a break open, well made, high power pellet gun with a scope, and she can drop them dead. It's a rodent, just a bit cuter than a rat. ;)

littlebikerider

A Crosman 2240 CO2 pistol is a nice size and easy to use, not too expensive. You just have to remember that CO2 is highly temperature dependent. If the gun gets too cold or too hot, its performance will change considerably. if you can keep it in the 60-80 degree range, more or less, it should do ok. Remember airguns are all about precision shots, not power.

Urbanrecon

If you feel you absolutely must kill the little fellers for seeking squirrel nirvana, at the minimum use a Crossman .22 pump pellet pistol (1322) with ten pumps. (Around 550 fps). Or just use the bird feeder as a squirrel feeder or as a "first come first served" maybe.

Randy1944

All great information. I think we have settled on some type of water squirt gun. She feels better with not killing and also must consider neighbors, noise and stray pellets. Any suggestions on squirt guns? Many thanks

cslinger

Any suggestions on squirt guns?

Garden hose. I know that sounds sarcastic, and lord knows I loves me some sarcasm :), but I am being serious. Put a nozzle on that is able pinpoint the stream down and make the little buggers “drink from the fire hose.” :)

Other than that do they still make super soakers?

Also another tack might be to put a couple owl statues/figures around. That might also keep the birds away but owls put the fear of avian God in most small rodents/critters and can act like a scarecrow.