Parts question for Glock 26 gen 3

Onward Allusion

My question is the stock MIM extractor that bad that it won't last? Or is it just Apex trashing OEM Glock extractor to sell their expensive extractor?

Anyone have problem with the Glock stock extractor?

I have the Lonewolf or Apex in several of mine. Never had a problem with extractors except for wear with use but that is normal. The Apex appeared to have a sharper edge. I swapped it because of SS but liked the nice shine of it more.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Yeh, I wish there is a gunsmithing forum here, then I won't be talking here.
There is a gunsmithing section on TFL here.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I'm actually interested in gunsmithing and in the details of how firearms work almost as much as I am in shooting them. That's why I own a cutaway Glock, for one thing. I couldn't find a lot of information on the details of the inner workings and that was an interesting way to learn about their internal functions.

If you want to tinker with your Glock, that's great. I have a gun that is sort of my project gun (ti's not a Glock, but that's immaterial). I play around with it and will make mods to it just for fun. But I don't rely on it for anything other than fun.

But the key is that I don't try to pretend that I'm doing it to save money or because it really needs to be modified to run properly--it ran fine before I started tinkering with it.

What I see is you trying to justify working on your gun in a number of different ways. The bottom line is that none of the ways you are trying to justify it work. The bottom line is that you WANT to work on it. That's ok, but everything would go more smoothly if you would stop trying to pretend that you're working on it for some other justifiable reason (to make it more reliable, to save money on ammo, because Glocks need to be modified, because your personal experience with a small number of pistols that weren't Glocks which needed to be modified, etc.).

Your stated approach is almost certainly not going to be necessary or economical--just like the tinkering I do on my "project gun" it's being done just for the fun of the tinkering.

Alan0354

Hi JohnLSa

It's all the above. It is expensive to shoot $99 a box of 50. I am cheap. BUT I think I said from the get go that gun smithing is as much a hobby for me if not more than shooting. And also I did have problem with all 3 of my other pistols.

It is fun to do gun smithing. Towards the end, I actually work more on gun smithing and only shoot to proof the gun than the other way around.

Bottom line, money is really not the issue, I am just thinking out loud how to test guns. I even ordered 10 dummy hollow points rounds so I can test the feeding without actually firing the gun. The extra knowledge worth the money for me already.

By all means, get into gun smithing. For me, I don't like to kill animals, so my shooting is only limited to paper targets, it gets old after like 5 years of going to the range twice a week for the whole afternoon each. I drifted to gun smithing.

Let's put it in another way, if I ruining the Glock, I'd buy another one!!!

JohnKSa

Administrator
You won't ruin the Glock with any of the things you are talking about--you can always put the stock parts back on it and be good to go.

I'll be interested to see how things turn out for you. It's not that I think it won't be fun or interesting to play around with modifying it, I just want to make sure you're doing it for the right reason so you aren't disappointed later.

Alan0354

You won't ruin the Glock with any of the things you are talking about--you can always put the stock parts back on it and be good to go.

I'll be interested to see how things turn out for you. It's not that I think it won't be fun or interesting to play around with modifying it, I just want to make sure you're doing it for the right reason so you aren't disappointed later.
Hey, I am allow to kid myself to justify all these!!! I am cheap, that's the way to justify it. :)

Alan0354

For whatever it's worth, I bought 2 gen3 trigger housing(in case I screw one up) to replace the one comes with the gun.

2 of gen4 trigger housing ( to harvest the two 30274 extractor) in case I file and screw up one.

1 of gen5 trigger housing in case I want to try the gen 5 extractor. So I actually have 3 ejectors to screw around!!!

Apex extractor with spring. So I can save the original part.

non LCI extractor spring loaded bearing.

Trigger spring in case I mess up changing the trigger housing.

10 hollow point dummy rounds for checking feeding by just hand cycling the rounds.

I think I am set and cover everything and without using ANY or touching the original parts come with the gun. I can reverse everything if necessary to brand new condition by putting all the original parts back in.

Things are looking up, I have in another thread thinking about buying an accurate 22LR target pistol, but at the process talking it out, I discovered my old Mark II is so dirty the bolt cannot even close correctly. Instead of having to buy a new one, I think I can give it a good cleaning and it should shoot good. Things are coming together.

Yes, I am stoked.

Last edited:

eflyguy

I probably have 1500rds thru my 26. I have no idea how many my daughter put thru it when she carried it for a couple of years before I bought her a Shield..

I have never had a feed/eject issue with it. Same with any of the other 4 Glocks in the family.

I suggest you wait until this little ammo blip subsides as usual, then put some rounds thru it, before you try to "fix" something that's not broken or needs "improvement".

Alan0354

Sadly GlockStore wrote back they don't have trigger housing for gen3 and gen4, so I cannot do anything now. they should not even take my order if they don't have stock.

I guess I have to try the Glock 26 as is. I am not going to go shoot with only the Apex extractor.

L-2

For Post 48,
"Not for use in the Glock 26" from: https://www.apextactical.com/glock-failure-resistant-extractor-gen-5#glock_fit=gen-3-5

Apex Tactical doesn't recommend, and outright says not to use its extractor in a G26 (gen3 in this case).

For my G26gen3, the #336 ejector worked fine and the #30274 and #47021 ejectors didn't change this gun's ejection. I did have some casings eject to the left instead of the right, btw. I just didn't want casings ejecting directly into my head as my G17gen3 used to do. In the G17gen3 I had, the #30274 ejector did work, but the Apex Tac extractor did not work well (with or without substituting the EDP spring and non-LCI spring loaded bearing).

For my G17gen3, the ApexTac extractor intermittently caused the spent casing to be pulled above the ejector, yet stilled held by the extractor, which then caused a horizontal stovepipe situation (impossible to clear by merely swiping one's hand across the top of the slide as the stovepipe is all but flush with the top of the slide and there's now a double-feed situation). But this is all just old personal info and not particularly related to a G26gen3.

I'm actually carrying my G26gen3 today and it's worked fine with the stock 336 ejector, but I did try it for awhile with the 30274 ejector as I mentioned. Just be patient and the 9mm Gen4 trigger mechanism housing with ejector will eventually be back in stock somewhere.

Alan0354

For Post 48,
"Not for use in the Glock 26" from: https://www.apextactical.com/glock-failure-resistant-extractor-gen-5#glock_fit=gen-3-5

Apex Tactical doesn't recommend, and outright says not to use its extractor in a G26 (gen3 in this case).

For my G26gen3, the #336 ejector worked fine and the #30274 and #47021 ejectors didn't change this gun's ejection. I did have some casings eject to the left instead of the right, btw. I just didn't want casings ejecting directly into my head as my G17gen3 used to do. In the G17gen3 I had, the #30274 ejector did work, but the Apex Tac extractor did not work well (with or without substituting the EDP spring and non-LCI spring loaded bearing).

For my G17gen3, the ApexTac extractor intermittently caused the spent casing to be pulled above the ejector, yet stilled held by the extractor, which then caused a horizontal stovepipe situation (impossible to clear by merely swiping one's hand across the top of the slide as the stovepipe is all but flush with the top of the slide and there's now a double-feed situation). But this is all just old personal info and not particularly related to a G26gen3.

I'm actually carrying my G26gen3 today and it's worked fine with the stock 336 ejector, but I did try it for awhile with the 30274 ejector as I mentioned. Just be patient and the 9mm Gen4 trigger mechanism housing with ejector will eventually be back in stock somewhere.
Thanks for letting me know, I contacted them and they are trying to cancel the order. I hope they can stop it on time.

Now back to square one!!!

Funny that I anticipate the gun itself is the hardest to get, it turned out I got the gun!!! Now everything else is not available.

I was also looking into reloading in another forum, then I found out, I cannot get the primmer and all. I said, well, I can still set up the press and all!!! Guess what, they are all OUT!!!

Well, I bought the gun.............As a toy gun now!!! Most expensive toy gun that looks like a real toy that look plastic!!!

AK103K

Id worry more about finding ammo than the extractor being a problem. ;)

I have a 17 that had around 150K on it when Glock rebuilt it. I have a 26 that had over 25K on it when I quit counting, and that was a number of years ago. Im still shooting both. The factory extractors were never a problem.

Alan0354

Id worry more about finding ammo than the extractor being a problem. ;)

I have a 17 that had around 150K on it when Glock rebuilt it. I have a 26 that had over 25K on it when I quit counting, and that was a number of years ago. Im still shooting both. The factory extractors were never a problem.
No, cannot find ANY ammo is a problem!! I'd be jumping for joy if I can find some not sky high price!!! Looked into reload, all out of stock from primmers to press, everything.

Jim Watson

I am not familiar with the parts of a Glock 26. The extractor is in the trigger housing? Or you have to have the same generation trigger housing as extractor?

Alan0354

I am not familiar with the parts of a Glock 26. The extractor is in the trigger housing? Or you have to have the same generation trigger housing as extractor?
Sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Ejector is a part in the trigger housing, you can change the ejector by just pulling it out and put a new one in.

Here is a youtube video explaining how to change the ejector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDPVTzVqMQ

I have not seen they sell the ejector alone, you have to buy the whole trigger housing. Gen3 and Gen4 trigger housing are out of stock. I am not willing to pull the ejector from the trigger housing of my original Glock 26, I want to buy a gen3 housing, change the ejector and put into the Glock, then save the one comes with the Glock untouched and safe in case I have to put it back.

Sorry.

Tom-R2

I found 3 Gen4 trigger housings with the Gen4 extractors on eBay, cheap, and arrived yesterday. Ordered it 2-3 days earlier.

Alan0354

I found 3 Gen4 trigger housings with the Gen4 extractors on eBay, cheap, and arrived yesterday. Ordered it 2-3 days earlier.
They are double the price!!! It's all $9.99 in GlockStore

Also, I am not sure to trust ebay for such a critical part.