Opinions on Dan Wesson 1911's

357MagFan

I have only had my DW CBOB 10mm for a few months, and have not shot it much.
It is a beautiful gun. Mine is a blemished one. Still well crafted and a nice value.

This photo shows the only blemish I could find. I think that was worth $300 off the retail price.

Hehehe. That was cute. One tiny little, minuscule little speck and you magnified it with and arrow pointing to it saying BLEMISH.

Thats just funny, although I admit, it would slightly bother me as well.

MLeake

It's not a matter of cute

Dan Wesson sells these as "blemish" guns. It doesn't take much.

Kind of like Cold Steel sells Factory Second knives. You can get a huge percentage off on a tanto because of a similar, small mark somewhere on the blade.

KyJim

If I ran across a DW Blemish pistol, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I bought my CBOB with the idea of carrying it sometime down the road. If you carry a gun, it's going to show some wear and/or small handling marks or scratches at some point in time.

awpk03s

In my opinion, Dan Wessons are the best production 1911 money can buy. For more money, you can get a semi-custom rig that may or may not be better.

HisSoldier

It is too viscous and gets pushed out the back of the gun, which is why DW recommends against using greases.

Well, for what it's worth, we disagree. You can prove for yourself if that's true by smearing it on the rails, cycling it a few times, and then taking a black cloth to the rails. The grease is still there. Plus, I haven't had galling problems with mine.:)
Oil is better than nothing, the thicker the better in my opinion. On a gun that isn't fit so tightly I don't think it matters much, but oil runs out with time while grease takes longer to migrate out. It's much easier to rupture an oil film than a grease film, and that's what causes galling, steel under pressure against steel.

When I do press fits (Typically .0005 to .005) I use oil, thick way oil. The only reason I don't use grease is because it's messy, it actually works better at preventing galling on press fits.

vranasaurus

My CBOB is so tight that if I put grease instead of oil on the rails it won't cycle.

The slide will move to the rear and stay there.

I use grease on the rails of my para and S&W but not the DW.

MLeake

I've been running my CBOB on MILITEC-1

which was recommended at the shop where I picked it up.

So far, it's worked perfectly well.