Opinions on Dan Wesson 1911's

Cloudpeak

These things have VERY tight tolerances between the slide and rails.

You're right, Sarge. After reading lots of posts about "tight" CBOB's, I mounted the empty slide on the frame with plenty of lube and slid the slide back and forth many times. After a few hundred strokes, I loaded up and my CBOB never missed a lick.

I like the way your grips cover the grip frame, fore to aft, not to mention the beautiful wood you use:)

Walter

I don't own one but personally i think Dan Wessons slides are simply put the most "elegant" looking slide on a 1911. Small nicely placed text and beautiful polished slide. not a huge 1911 "insert company" stamped in the center

I don't own one either, but none of the ones in the pics I've seen have
front serrations on the slide. That is a huge plus, in my book. I just
don't care for the front serrations, so I wouldn't have a gun with them.

OTOH, I had no idea Dan Wessons were approaching the thousand
dollar price range. I'm gonna have to give them another look. For that
kind of money there has got to be some quality there.

Walter

passintime

It is by far my favorite gun, and that is saying a lot.

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

I have the 10mm.

HisSoldier

I have a CBOB and, as of recently, a Marksman. The Marksman is a PM7 without the forward slide serrations. I agree with Walter about that.
I just shot the Marksman in a comparison to my Kimber Team Match II, the TMII had ever so slightly smaller groups.
The sights on both guns are identical. Both have match barrels, and I took pains to make the circumstances identical.
The DW is prettier, but lacks front grip strap checkering. It's highly polished whereas the Kimber is bead blast finished. The bead blasted finish is much easier to maintain.
Both came with billboard grips which I hate, I'll replace the DW grips eventually with cocobolo full checkered grips. The DW grips are nice looking but I don't like advertising on my grips, which is why I changed out the Kimber's grips.
The DW has a single RH sided safety, where the Kimber came with an ambi, which I swapped out for a RH type.

I have no idea what I'll buy next, I've bought all my dream guns. Hmm, maybe just a few more. :rolleyes:

My Dan Wesson pistols are the best guns I own. They are easily custom quality guns at production gun prices. As of now I just have the 10mm CBOB and 10mm Razorback. I hope to own more in the future.

PS: I really wish they would make an officers size gun but a rep I spoke to said the tooling costs to make such a gun would be astronomical...but they did add that their recent surge of popularity means you never know. :)

RZ-10-1.jpg

DWBobtail-1.jpg

Legasat

Gotta agree. Dan Wessons are the best value on the market (price for what you get).

I don't have a CBOB yet, but my PM7 is tack driver.

PM7_post1.jpg

KyJim

I recently purchased a Dan Wesson CBOB and I really like it, though I've only had it to the range once. As nicely as it is finished, though, it is not in the same category as my Browns or my Wilson. Still, it is probably the best value for the money right now. Just be aware the slide to frame fit is VERY tight and may need several hundred rounds to break in properly.

Mello2u

I have only had my DW CBOB 10mm for a few months, and have not shot it much.
It is a beautiful gun. Mine is a blemished one. Still well crafted and a nice value.
blemtagged.jpg

This photo shows the only blemish I could find. I think that was worth $300 off the retail price.

DWlft.jpg

Grips by Sarge43, you can see more at the www.thefinergrain.com.

Jason_G

Get one while you can, the word is spreading.

I think the word is out.

I got mine right before the popularity surge. $863, NIB. They are about $100 more than that now, but IMHO, they are still easily the best value in 1911s out there. Tough to find a NIB pistol that is better without spending another grand or so.

CBOB2.jpg

I love mine and carry it daily. About 2000 rounds so far, including various different JHPs. 0 malfs.

Jason

I AM

I've had my CBOB for a little over three months and it has been as flawless as one could ask. Before I even took it to the range I must have cycled it at least 500 times and cleanding it every hundred or or so cycles. Once at the range it was load um up and send them on their way....flawless. I would put it up against my Baer TRS any day......buy one and have a ball.

HisSoldier

I have followed the directions that suggest that it be kept well lubed (Eezox) and continue to have no problems.

I'm surprised that EEZOX is that good as a lubricant, it is very thin, as is Remoil. It may work well, I don't know. I use EEZOX for corrosian protection.

I lubed the rails on my DW's with Wilson Ultima lube, a white grease. DW doesn't recommend greases but there have been a few cases of slides galling with disastrous results.
I had a Colt Officers that was failing to feed, all I could find in Yuma that Sunday was Remoil, and I thought "This can't lube well!". After that there were no more failures. (??)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=254811

Jason_G

I lubed the rails on my DW's with Wilson Ultima lube, a white grease. DW doesn't recommend greases but there have been a few cases of slides galling with disastrous results.
I had a Colt Officers that was failing to feed, all I could find in Yuma that Sunday was Remoil, and I thought "This can't lube well!". After that there were no more failures. (??)

Grease is not a great lube on a 1911 with a tight slide to frame fit. It is too viscous and gets pushed out the back of the gun, which is why DW recommends against using greases. Sounds counter-intuitive, but I think they're right. You need a good oil. Remoil might have worked, but there are better choices out there. I tend to run silicone based lubes in my guns, and I've had no problems. Seems to be just the right consistency so that it sticks, but doesn't sling off the first time the slide cycles.

ETA: I don't know if there's anything to it other than coincidence, but I have noticed most of the CBOB galling issues involved CLP being used as the lube.

Jason