Opinions on Dan Wesson 1911's

MLeake

Considering a Heritage .45 or a CBOB bobtail commander .45. Any DW owners out there who can offer comparisons on handling, reliability, and shootability?

Thanks.

David the Gnome

I loved mine, it was my perfect 1911 (meaning it has every option I would ever want in a 1911), the only problem was that I couldn't bring myself to shoot it with any regularity because I couldn't get myself to put the wear and tear on a gun that was close to $1,000. I decided to sell it to fund other non-gun purchases. I do miss it on occasion but, I don't see the point in owning a gun I know I'll never really shoot. :eek:

tom234

Dan Wessons are very tight and accurate as a result. They may take several hundred rounds to break in. I was told it might be ~400 rounds for the PM7-10.

DasFriek

If you find someone on here who says he hates or dislikes Dan Wesson 1911's id be pretty darn suprised.Its probably the most liked 1911 at $1k and many people here like them as much as some customs that are available.
I only wish i could own one myself.

Dobe

I believe the quality out-of-the box 1911s today are
Colt
DW
Springer. I have wanted a DW Bobtail for quiet some time, I just keep spending on other projects.

dairycreek

CBOB.png

I have been a gun owner all my life (72 years and counting) but just bought my first Dan Wesson about a month ago. As you can see from the pic it is a CBOB in 45 ACP and I have put about 500 rounds through it with no problems at all. I have followed the directions that suggest that it be kept well lubed (Eezox) and continue to have no problems.

It is very accurate. At 72 my eyes do not allow for pin point accuracy and my standard is being able to put 8 rounds into a 9" paper plate, offhand, at 25 yards. With the DW CBOB I shoot a "minute of paper plate" with no problems which, for me, is doggone good.

My son-in-law, on the otherhand, is blessed with 40ish eyes and is a very, very good pistol shot. In his hands the DW groups at some what less than 2 inches at the same 25 yards for a 5 round group.

The OP asked for opinions on the DW and, so far, my opinion is quite high. I have a fully decked out Wilson which I have had for a number of years and I can't see any difference in fit, finish, or performance between the two guns. Paid less than a $1000 for the DW and a bundle more for the Wilson.

I give a solid "thumbs up" on the Dan Wesson.:D

Last edited:

waterhouse

I've got one of the CBobs, great gun. Lots of people have seen and shot it, most are very impressed. I may sell it, but only to replace it with the same model in 10mm.

bald1

They are without question the best bang for the buck in a production 1911 today. That may not have been the case a few years back; and who knows what the future will bring. But if you're in the market now, they're a no brainer:)

I too went with a CBOB and LOVE it! Fit, finish, feel, accuracy, and factory support are all top notch.

DanWessonCBOB_1.jpg

Logs

I shot one and wow is it accurate. I thought it was a bit on the heavy side for carry gun, but it looks very well made. My buddy paid $900 for his.

Venom1956

I don't own one but personally i think Dan Wessons slides are simply put the most "elegant" looking slide on a 1911. Small nicely placed text and beautiful polished slide. not a huge 1911 "insert company" stamped in the center.:D

MLeake

Thanks for the replies...

... I ordered a new CBOB yesterday. Should be in NLT next Tuesday, and hopefully earlier.

Cloudpeak

Thanks for the replies...
... I ordered a new CBOB yesterday. Should be in NLT next Tuesday, and hopefully earlier.

MLeake,

Way to go! I hope you like your CBOB as much as we like ours.

bald1: Outstanding grips! I'm sure you'd barf if you saw the grips on mine---cheapo Pearce black rubber grips. But, due to some "hand problems" I seem to get along with these grips a bit better than the factory, very nice wood grips.

raimius

I picked up a CBOB recently. So far, 150rds and no significant problems.

The slide failed to lock back the first couple times I used the factory mags, then smoothed out. Wilson 47D mags worked flawlessly.

CGSteve8718

Variants

I've been looking at these and see that the Razorback has the serrations on the top, and the Sportsman has target sights, but what are the differences between the Classic, the Heritage, and the PM7? As far as I can tell, these are the models, as Heritage/Classic/PM7 are engraved on the slide and any can be an RZ model or not. These also all seem to be full size models, I am not really interested in the CBOB.

Info appreciated.

bald1

bald1: Outstanding grips! I'm sure you'd barf if you saw the grips on mine---cheapo Pearce black rubber grips. But, due to some "hand problems" I seem to get along with these grips a bit better than the factory, very nice wood grips.

Cloudpeak,

Thanks! Here's a better shot of the Afzelia Xylay cut to show the 3D veining of the wood. These were made by Sarge at The Finer Grain and are his "Tweener" model as with a thickness in between stock and ultra thin grips. Still uses stock bushings and screws as well as providing a lip over the plunger tube unlike thin grips.

And "NO!" I didn't barf at yours at all. What matters is what works for folks. I needed something thinner than stock for optimal egonomics. Just happens that where I could get them offered outstanding woods too :) Can't complain about that.:D

DanWessonCBOB.jpg

Sarge43

CBOB's are great! If it's any indication of what I think of them, I just bought my second one this morning. Can't give much higher praise than that.
When yours arrives, be sure to lube it up liberally and often at the range for break in purposes. These things have VERY tight tolerances between the slide and rails. After a few hundred rounds, you'll feel that silky smoothness that develops with a little shooting.
You're in for a treat! Enjoy her.
Sarge