opinions on bolt rifle for brush gun.

BoogieMan

It is undeniable that round nose "lever action type" bullets are deflected less than pointy "bolt action type" bullets. Heavier weight helps too.
Common myth. All bullets are easily deflected by hitting leaves, branches, grass, rain, etc..

dgludwig

Quote:
It is undeniable that round nose "lever action type" bullets are deflected less than pointy "bolt action type" bullets. Heavier weight helps too.

:
Common myth. All bullets are easily deflected by hitting leaves, branches, grass, rain, etc.

It would seem obvious that "all bullets are easily deflected by hitting leaves, branches, grass, rain, etc."; deer flies for that matter, but the question still might be "are some bullets (caliber, weight, profile, configuration, velocity., etc.) less prone to deflect than others"? I'm not sure if this question can ever be answered definitively given the variables of the test "materials", distances, angles, wet or dry surfaces, ad infinitum in terms of what "brush" means and what it might consist of.

44 AMP

Staff
Shooting through brush??

Shape matters, some. MASS matters MORE.

Which do you think you can more easily throw through a bush, a ping pong ball, or a golf ball? Same shape, similar size, very dissimilar mass.

Mass matters more. The more massive the object, the less it will deflect.

The principle is sound, the details are "fiddly bits". :)

the possum

If they added a Civil War artillery piece to the test, does anyone think an eight pound cannon ball would be deflected by the brush? I don't. I think this proves that momentum does play a part, so the theory holds. An object with more momentum will want to continue in a straighter line. The issue is whether there's enough difference to really matter in the real world, because no one's gonna hunt deer with a .50 BMG or a .17 HMR, so there's no point comparing them. I doubt there's enough difference amongst all the common deer calibers to matter- I wouldn't rely on any of 'em to bust brush.

I do recall reading an article about a guy's experiences hunting African game with a .700 Nitro Express. He said it had so much power to spare he noticed he was getting sloppy with his shots. He dropped a Cape Buffalo on the spot, after the bullet drilled straight through a 10" Ebony tree.