opinions on bolt rifle for brush gun.

RC20

Holes in the brush?

I find that pretty funny that you can spot a hole in the brush, up and aim with a scope that sits 2 inches above your bore and then lazer it through the said brush.

Said hole of course has to line up with said game.

Good shots through brush are a matter of luck, not that I am against that but it really does not matter what the setup is.

Iron sites probably are the best possible combo for trying.

Oh God, please don't cut down a Savage 99 in .358.

They're among the rarest of the Savages, and one in really good condition can fetch over $2,000 these days.

tobnpr

Barrel blank just came in from McGowen for a custom .44 Rem Mag brush gun I'm building for a client on a Mosin-Nagant action. I designed the contour, I think it's nicely proportioned considering the large breech diameter needed for the receiver, and the "shortish" barrel length of 18" when finished.

No red dot for this one, deciding on the sights now (Williams), and kicking around stock ideas. Interesting build, I'll put up a post or two as it progresses.

uWmQTVql.jpg

YfPwe5Gl.jpg

the possum

Holes in the brush?

I find that pretty funny that you can spot a hole in the brush, up and aim with a scope that sits 2 inches above your bore and then lazer it through the said brush.

Said hole of course has to line up with said game.

I've done it and seen it/could have done it plenty of other times, even though I decided to pass on the shot for other reasons. Thick stands of saplings in a swamp often leave openings that are more vertical anyway. What's so funny about that? Are my actual experiences not "real world" enough for you?

T. O'Heir

"...bullets are deflected less than pointy..." That's actually a myth. Predates the internet though. Any bullet that hits anything like a twig or branch will deflect at the very least. Even a big, cast, RN is more likely to, um, explode into frag than plow through. Bullet construction is far more important than the point.
"...Yes, there are brush guns...." And are marketed as such. Feeds the myths.
"...don't cut down a Savage 99 in..." Any chambering. Somebody'll have a stroke. And the rest of the Savage collectors will come looking for you. Passionate bunch, so they are. snicker.

GeauxTide

It is undeniable that round nose "lever action type" bullets are deflected less than pointy "bolt action type" bullets. Heavier weight helps too.
There have been many articles and tests over the years that de-bunks that theory. Best I saw was a life size deer target 7 feet behind a brush pile. Nothing from 22LR to 375H&H hit the target. I picked a Bushmaster 450 Carbine because of size, weight, and effectiveness.

ThomasT

Since you asked for bolt action bolt guns my choice is my Remington model 7. The first version of this series with an 18" barrel, open sights and walnut stock. I like this gun not because I think the 7-08 round it is chambered in will shoot through brush but just because it is light weight and short. It has a leupold 2x7 scope that is a perfect match for this rifle.

I have hunted long enough to know that the odds you any hunter being able to "sneak up" on a deer in brush so thick you need a gun that you can swing around because of a short barrel is very slim to impossible. And I feel shooting through brush as thick as in that video that was posted is irresponsible.

And I have too much respect for the game to take a shot that may wound instead of kill. In brush that thick the odds of losing a wounded deer is very high. As for bullets that will shoot through brush? I don't think they exist. But I feel a heavy, slow bullet may have a better chance than a fast lightweight bullet. But I still wouldn't risk the shot no matter what I am armed with.

Husqvarna

Barrel blank just came in from McGowen for a custom .44 Rem Mag brush gun I'm building for a client on a Mosin-Nagant action.

All that action length for a 44mag?

seems unneccesary weight for a brush gun

HiBC

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in favor of chopping Savage 99's.
I had a friend who was a ranch type woman. She wanted a rifle for deer an maybe elk . It had to be a lever gun,and it had to be scoped.
She was about 5 ft 6 in.
I put together a basic 7x57 on a Mexican Mauser for her. She hated it. It wasn't a lever.
A local pawn shop had a 300 Savage 99 for a good price. It was in decent,but not exceptional shape.A shooter. I bought it,knowing it would not fit her and it would need work.
I adjusted it to suit her.I shortened the stock,fitted a pad,and shortened the barrel a bit.And I put a 4x Leupold Gold Ring on it.
I built her some 165 gr loads and I made some snap cap dummy rounds,cross drilled,with flexane primer pockets.I told her to dry fire at least 10 a day,as perfect as she could.
We went shooting. She could keep them inside 2 MOA,nearer 1 1/2.

I showed her she had a 12 MOA Duplex. I told her a buck mule deer was about 18 in whithers to brisket,so if the deer was smaller than her duplex,it was over 150 yds. Get closer.I know,a 300Savage has more potential. I was keeping it simple. She had enough to learn.
She went hunting. Told me the story. Said she ignored my advice,shot anyway at adeer too far. Broke his leg. Kentucky'd up a bit and killed him.
Her brothers got all interested in the rifle then. She would not let them touch it. Contrary woman!
I know she will never sell that rifle.
Yes,I believe in preserving the rifles. I also believe in helping a shooter with a good rifle that fits. I do not regret it. IMO,I did good.
No reason a short woman should not be able to enjoy a 99,too.

Last edited:

dgludwig

My two favorite "brush" guns are a Ruger MKII, RSI"International", chambered in .308 Winchester, mounted with a Leupold 1x4, VariXII scope, and a Savage Model 99 "Brush Gun", chambered in .358 Winchester, with a Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight on top. These two rifles handle well in the Pennsylvania thickets and Michigan cedar swamps I frequent, looking for whitetail bucks. Either cartridge will dump a deer on the spot if hit well but that .35 caliber, 200 grain bullet does "seem" to wend its way better through twigs and such.

Gunplummer

I can't get wrapped around a "Peg board test". For one thing, the pegs are solid. About 30 years ago (When Pa was still overrun with deer) I had come down off a mountain and was along a railroad tracks right by a town. A bullet went past right in front of me. It was moving pretty good because I heard it "Snap". It went through a hemlock tree(Christmas tree to you city folk) about two feet away on my right. There was one small branch swinging by the bark close to me on the outside, a couple small twigs and branches cut off laying in side and another half cut almost on the other side. It sure looked like a straight path to me. It may have been a ricochet off a boulder, because it was headed into town.
Back then there was so much shooting you really did not take notice. I do believe that size of the branch and bullet position have a large affect on bullet deflection. To say there is actual proof that there is no such thing as a "Brush gun" based on a silly peg board test is ludacris.

Gunplummer

I don't cut down anything nice. There are thousands of really beat up 99 Savage rifles out there. I just bought a stripped 99 receiver. Even the cartridge guide is gone. I have a brand new Green Mountain .338 barrel blank stashed and I am thinking .338 Federal (I already own a .358 Featherweight). Why would anyone care what you do with beater rifle?

This is a .308 that was found in a barn covered with rust. It is now a .260 Remington. There are plenty of beater rifles out there to build a brush gun. Bolt action, go Russian or Japanese. They are still cheap. There are actually a lot of commercial rifles that are beat up and cheap that can be cut down. You just have to keep your eyes open.

99%20Savage%20008_zpspbzf1ltz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You didn't say you were going to build your own .358 from parts.

That's different from taking a factory .358 and whacking away at it like a satanic elf.

Gunplummer

If you find one that is already in terrible shape, what does it matter? You have to find them before the dealers do. There are tons of parts for sale for older rifles, handguns and shotguns. Ever wonder where they all come from?

Chances of finding a factory .358 in "terrible shape" are FAR less likely than finding an action and building one up.

You made no distinction as to what you were recommending. It could have just as easily been "here, take this gold inlaid factory engraved Savage 99 presentation and whack the barrel back and make yourself a brush gun."

:rolleyes:

Gunplummer

Seriously, it is amazing the way people peck at you for going "Bubba" on a gun when they have no idea what it looked like before that.

I would think that aiming thru brush with a scope should blur out the closest brush and you might shoot a small sapling that you could not see. front sites are totally blurred out from a scope

the possum

If they're that close, then you should also notice them immediately with yer unaided eyeballs. It's more helpful for seeing through stuff closer to your target, where it's far enough that everything looks sorta blurred together. There's plenty of situations where a scope won't make a difference as well. It's up to you if ya wanna carry the extra bulk and weight, and pass up shots ya might have had otherwise. That's fine, too.

RC20

I've done it and seen it/could have done it plenty of other times, even though I decided to pass on the shot for other reasons. Thick stands of saplings in a swamp often leave openings that are more vertical anyway. What's so funny about that? Are my actual experiences not "real world" enough for you?

It must be that thar lower 48 Brush.