Opinions on Beretta 92

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfaugh

Actually..

as the thread starter, I'm enjoying this immensely...especially since some of my original questions haven't really been answered...and apparently no one read my subsequent comment (if they even read the original post!)...

Striker1

dfaugh,

I read your original post again before putting my own .02 in. The pistol can be operated left or right handed so that won't be an issue for you.

Look at it this way, you can sell it if you don't like it. Wish you could at least dry fire the thing to see what you think and I hope you don't believe all the negative hype

God luck

H

Hitman32

Just a thought. I owned a 92 myself it was nice. But I replaced it with a Sig 228. Great weapon. Unless the buyer lives in Iraq or the desert his purchase
may be solely for self defense and plinking. He may never put 15,000 or 20,000 rounds through this weapon. If he likes the way it feels I say buy the weapon. It's not a bad weapon. Ammo is reasonable to purchase. Its no big deal. This guy is not going to war. I do not think this is a inferior weapon. You can go to the gun store and try out a Glock 17 or 19 whatever feels good in your hand man. Go to the range and rent it and shoot the Berreta and the Glock see how you like them.You may hate the Berreta.

shep854

Natedog, at the risk of being branded a heretic, :) If you want a Beretta-like pistol that you can carry cocked-n-locked, get a Taurus PT-92 or -99 (fixed or adjustable sights).

Yes, this thread has been very interesting. I'm looking hard at buying a B92, even though I thought it was sacrilege to replace the 1911A1 with it.

I don't understand that whole cocked and locked option on a DA auto...seems to me, if you want cocked and locked, there are much better choices for that platform....but as an added safety while carrying it in DA mode, it is kind of cool to swipe it like a 1911 as opposed to the unnatural upward movement of the Beretta....

shep854

The way I approach the slide safety v the frame safety is to more my thumb forward, then down. This motion will hit either type safety, if they're engaged. Now a Mak-type safety, which is on the slide but has to be pushed down to fire, is a whole 'nother animal.

STLRN

That is where training comes in, if you train with an M9 and on the range your required to draw from a holster you will get use to flipping the safety off and it becomes second nature.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Strln,

That is where training comes in, if you train with an M9 and on the range your required to draw from a holster you will get use to flipping the safety off and it becomes second nature.

I have to argue here that it's just not as natural a motion as popping off a down-to-fire frame-mounted safety. Yes, resistance to the unnatural motion can be overcome with training, but it's still an unnatural motion; when I make a grasping fist, my thumb naturally curls down. :eek: (I'm sure it's not just coincidence that Beretta has continued to market their frame-mounted-safety guns to IPSC shooters in Europe all along. ;) )

TimC

The way I approach the slide safety v the frame safety is to more my thumb forward, then down. This motion will hit either type safety, if they're engaged.
I have always thought the very same way regarding those two safety types.

STLRN

There are allot of unnatural things that men are trained to do, the very actions that are involved in a fire fight are unnatural, but yet we train men to do them.

I have gone through the drill so many times, that I don't even notice it anymore. It has because as natural as having your thumb slightly high in order to flip off the safety of a 1911.

Striker1

Wasn't it the us military that required a slide mounted decocker in the first place? Also if you know how the safety / decocker works you can see it would be impossible to mount it anywhere else.

The M9 was the first pistol I ever trained on so the Gov't safety system is the one ihave trouble adapting to.

By the way, I carry the M92 with safety on "fire", so the motion isn't really a factor

Handy

Wasn't it the us military that required a slide mounted decocker in the first place? Also if you know how the safety / decocker works you can see it would be impossible to mount it anywhere else.

The runner up for the XM9 was the 226 - frame decocker. And several guns, like the HK P8 and Browning BDM have decocking safeties that externally function like the 92, only on the frame.

STLRN

I went and grab my own pistol to confirm something, my thumb doesn't go up when I unsafe it. If you shoot with a high grip, all the action involves is you thumb moving forward and the first nuckle hiting the bottom of the safety, the spring pressure throws it off safe, the thumb never goes up, until I decock.

OBIWAN

I watched a guy in a class decock and re-enable...over and over again.

I felt VERY bad for him....I was using a Sig and was having enough fun just decocking. Luckily he had bigger thumbs so he could swing that bad boy back up.

But by day three his thumb looked pretty bad.

If you like having both a decocker AND a safety...have at it.

I don't really like either....I can handle it on a 1911, but the slide mounted ones we designed for ...I don't know what...

But having both...is like a belt AND suspenders

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
but the slide mounted ones we designed for ...I don't know what...

They were designed for ease of rotating a positive block (part of the safety) to cover the rear of, or otherwise engage, the firing pin as the weapon de-cocked.

I'd like to think of my Beretta safety as just a de-cocker and treat it like a revolver even though policy dictates safety on....I agree with Tamara, even though we are trained to unsnap our duty holsters, rotate the safety, then draw...it is very unnatural for me....I would much rather be thumbing a safety down as I come on target.

OBIWAN

Thanks Tamara....

I actually underatand how they work..

I was referring to the ergonomics of it.

But I can see how it could be taken that way

I find many users of weapons with the decock/safety levers NOT using the safety.

And there fore NOT training to disengage it every time

At the risk of opening a larger can of worms....that is a very BAD practice.

One of those times when you really need it...you are just going to get that long light trigger pull with no bang at the end :eek:

shep854

If one wants a Beretta 92, but not the hammer-block/drop safety, Beretta makes the 92D, which is decock only. After use, the lever springs back to the "fire" position.

Also, don't overlook the later-production Taurus PT92 and 99. Frame safety, push-down decock feature.

shep854

Hoo boy, I'm getting to eat a lot of humble pie today :D

It doesn't taste very good, but it's soooo healthy and nourishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.