Opinions on Beretta 92

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfaugh

After many years of shooting rifles and shotguns, I'm contemplating (finally) getting a handgun. I was almost set on a 1911, but I have a chance to pick up a near mint Beretta for reasonable(?) price-$400. Now, I've seen the 9mm and .45 issue beaten to death, and understand that the .45 has more punch, but some time ago I aqquired 3 boxes of "Black Talon" +P+, and I like the larger magazine capacity of the 9mm, so let's not beat on that any more, as I think the 9mm is adequate, with the right bullets (Hydroshocks, etc. as well).
Questions are:

a) is this a solid, dependable gun?

b) Will it handle +P and +P+ loadings with no problem?

c) Is this a good price($400) for this gun?

And--- I'm missing the end of my right index finger, shoot with my middle finger (But also ambidextrous, so I could probably shoot lefty w/ no problem.)
so:

d) what do you think of the ergonomics given the above?

(I know this last bit sounds strange--but due to the bizarre laws of my state, there's a bit of a catch-22...I can't legally even handle a pistol in a gun store without a pistol permit---and I can't apply for a pistol permit, until I've put a deposit down or purchased the handgun! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find someone with this gun, that I can try out (although one accomodating gun shop owner, who shall remain nameless, did let me handle one briefly.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

ACP230

I believe the 92s to be durable guns that will stand up to stout loads.
That said, the grips are too big to feel good in my hand. My Colt 1911s feel better, and my BHP is much better.

The 92 I shot had an annoying trigger. In double action there was way too much play for my taste. Single was better, but not up to a good 1911 or BHP. I could have gotten used to it, if I had to, I guess. I didn't want to make the effort.

That price doesn't sound too bad.

Landric

Howdy,

The price, at around $400 for a like new gun, is fine. The Beretta 92 tends to be unfailingly reliable and accurate. The DA trigger on some is too stiff, and the pistol is quite large for a 9mm. I don't know if Beretta reccomends the use of +P+ ammo, but I have personally fired thousands of +P+ and NATO spec 9mm through a Beretta 92 without any problems.

If you like the Beretta, go for it, they are excellent guns.

Hard Ball

I would pass. The Army version of the 92, the M9 has encountered severe problems in Iraq while SIGs and 1911s have not. The Army has found the M9 so unsatisfactory that its replacement with a new pistol is probable.

45 Fu

I owned a 92 FS for about two months and traded it for another pistol. Mine was dependable and an all-around good weapon but, after so many years of 1911's and Glocks, I couldn't get used to the long trigger pull. To me it seemed very heavy and long but keep in mind I have carried a Glock or 1911 for over twelve years now. I guess I'm kind of spoiled.

$400 seems good if the pistol is in great shape. I contacted some reps and was told that the 92 could take +P and +P+ but a steady diet would cause wear faster than normal pressure rounds. I know, this is an obvious observation, but it should be safe to carry them (shooting them from time) while practicing with standard pressure loads. The only thing that would give me pause is the missing part of your finger. Unless you have large hands you will, most likely, find it very difficult to hold and shoot this pistol to the fullest of your ability. Also, having a non-standard grip on the pistol could get in the way of quick magazine changes, interfere with the movement of the slide, and, even though it's a 9mm, not give you sufficient control during recoil to insure the pistol functions.

I know you like the higher capacity of the 92, but consider this; you can get a 1911 with a short trigger that you may find is an easier reach for your index finger. This way you are able to use a standard grip which will help in accuracy and recoil control. Sure, you will go from a round count of possibly 17 to 7-8 (even 10 with some mags), but there is a saying that has much wisdom - a 9mm may not expand but a .45 will never shrink. Relying on expansion (which you have no control over) to make up for the lack of bullet size (which you can control) seems like a poor trade to me.

Hope this helps.

Handy

The 92 is a very reliable design, but not very durable. It won't fall apart, but has a much more limited life compared to other guns, despite its size and weight.

It also has a very large grip and long reach to the trigger, which may affect your decision.

litework

I'd go for it. It seems like a good price and there are a wealth of standard capacity magazines that can be purchased at a reasonable cost. If the AWB is not replaced, this won't be terribly important.

I've heard many rumors about the Beretta's sub-par performance in Iraq; I was led to believe this was a result of poorly maintained magazines (non-factory). I've heard new rumors that the Sigs aren't doing very well over there,as well. I've heard they are being replaced by H&K's. I'm certain the H&K's will be replaced by a Thompson Center Contender; the only gun with a reliable cycling system.

I know the Beretta is a very good service weapon; my local police department used them for years and they performed well when they were the standard issued sidearm. My uncle, who has served as a law enforcement officer for over thirty years, will only carry a Beretta. As smaller people were introduced into the police department, a gun with a smaller grip was ordered to replace the 92FS. It is a large gun and isn't for everyone.

juliet charley

The Army version of the 92, the M9 has encountered severe problems in Iraq while SIGs and 1911s have not.
You're overstating the situation dramatically. The M9 reliability issues in Iraq attributed largely to the use of lowest bidder magazines. The SIG P226 is also having magazine related reliability problems so it may just be a high-cap 9x19 thing. In fact, it appears it is SIG P226 that is slated for a speeded up replacement rather than the M9 (and evidently with HK USPs).

Runngun

Beretta 92

I have 2 92's... a standard bruniton one and a Brigadier Inox. Both have been a pleasure to shoot, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They will handle +p ammo fine...the owners manual cautions that EXTENDED use of +p+ ammo will decrease the life of the weapon. Note EXTENDED. Nato ammo is right around +p pressure, and the guns have no problem handling it, it was designed around it. I have read that the service life of the weapon is between 30,000 and 40,000 rounds, but there have been many guns that have gone way past these figures. If you do your plinking and target shooting with cheap Winchester or UMC ball ammo, which is easy on the gun, and clean and maintain it properly, you will probably never have any problems with the gun. I have toyed with the idea of a 1911, a Kimber or the new S&W, but the last two springfield 1911's I had were total POS. In my experience so far, the two handguns I totally trust are the Beretta 92 and the various Glock pistols.

Pat Brophy

wiggnut

I have a 92F and have never had any problems with it. Now I also have this gun that shoots 9mm with the 92's magazines and I love this gun:

Attachments

• DSC01164.JPG
    DSC01164.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 272

Handy

I forgot to mention locking blocks. This $60 part lasts between 15,000 and 25,000 rounds. If this is a defense gun, you need to replace it before it breaks, so around 15,000 rounds. So in the life of the gun you'll need to buy one or two of those.

ahenry

I don’t like them. I have one, use one, shoot one pretty good, and still can’t stand them. The trigger is gritty, super heavy, way too long, and when coupled with the big grip makes for a terrible combination. Everybody’s got their own preferences but with you using your middle finger to pull the trigger, I’d recommend you try real hard to dry fire one a few times before I bought one. YMMV

croyance

Over 10,000 rounds later, mine keeps going. No signs of excessive wear.
It is just a little large for my hands, though I can shoot it accurately.
The trigger is not as smooth as a tuned 1911, but I have yet to handle one that is gritty. Browning HiPowers (which I like) have triggers that are much grittier than a Beretta. Berettas are known for their DA pull being smooth. I don't believe that their DA pull is much heavier than a Ruger, if at all. Certainly it is lighter than some revolvers I've tried.
Seems to be a good price.
I don't know if you use the slide stop to release the slide, or sling shot it. If/when you shoot lefty I don't know how convenient that would be for you. Then again, that would hold for most guns.

Ah, but litework, how about muzzle loading flint-locks?

treeprof

If it fits your hand, and you can manipulate the trigger ok given your circumstances, I'd buy it. $400 is a pretty fair price for a nice one, maybe more so in NY for all I know. I paid that for a v. nice walnut-grip 92F Centurion not long ago. I personally like the Beretta 92/96 because it's one of the few guns on which I don't have to build up the grips to fit my hand. A steady diet of +P+ is gonna accelerate wear (as it would on any gun), but 3 boxes ain't gonna hurt a thing. Unless you're somehow getting crappy used mags from the military, it'll function just fine.

RegBarc

While I never owned one, my brother carries one as a 240B machinegunner in Afghanistan and Iraq. He said he much prefers a .45, but the reliabiblity of the 92 is almost unwaivering.

GunsnRovers

not for me, but...

I don't care for the grips. I love my 1911, BHP, and CZ. Those 3 fit my hand great. The 92 was a brick I just couldn't get a feel for.

That being said, my friends in the LASD have had 92's for years. Lots and lots of rounds fired. The guys I know with 92's swear by it's reliability and accuracy.

I'd pocket the $ until you can find a way to get out and shoot a few different models. No where to rent at a range? $20+ plunked down to rent/try can save $400 of frustration later.

Bought my 92FS over 10 years ago and still consider it to be my best and most reliable handgun. Fits my hand like a glove.

Don't know how many thousands of rounds fired through it, but never once had a misfire.

If I could only have one handgun to own for protection, it would definitely be my 92FS.

Safe shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.