Opinions Needed?

Pistoler0

I don't want something that I risk having to pay taxes or have it taken away from me.
[..]
I need to now find optics for the Hi Point 995. This is an older model and it has the ATI stock.
he he IF there was a ban, the Hi Point carbine would be one of the FIRST firearms they'd ban, by name.

I got one in 45, I love it.

Pahoo

Add a Ruger 10/22 to your list.

A quality repeating .22 rifle (Marlin 60 semiautomatic, Ruger 10/22), or a Henry lever action .22 and a brick or two of ammunition. Hard to beat a good .22 rifle for all around survival / hunting applications. And buy more ammo for your existing guns, pass on the AR. That's what I would do.
shurshot, beat me to it !!!!
A standard Ruger 10/22 carbine and let your imagination run with it. Buy the highest velocity .22LR available to you. ..... ;)

Keep the faith and;
Be Safe !!!

5whiskey

Me personally, if I were in need of a general all purpose defense/hunting/utility rifle (aka a SHTF rifle) these days I would probably look at a lever rifle in .44mag, .45 colt, or .357mag. These are less likely to be touched by any form of gun control, and they will serve beautifully as all purpose firearms. One in .30-30 would be ok as well, but more limited in capacity.

If you don’t have a .22, you should get one. .22lr is a must have for as a utility for its varmint control and small game hunting ability. Plus ammo is still relatively cheap. Comparatively speaking.

I don’t see any AR bans actually being enacted as law anytime in the next few years. I do see the parts, accessories, and ammo being scarce out of a fear those bans come after all. And if those bans do come, better to have the next best thing already in hand. Just my $.02

Pistoler0

Me personally, if I were in need of a general all purpose defense/hunting/utility rifle (aka a SHTF rifle) these days I would probably look at a lever rifle in .44mag, .45 colt, or .357mag. These are less likely to be touched by any form of gun control, and they will serve beautifully as all purpose firearms.
Yes! Precisely because of what you just said, I was considering a lever action last year. But as I researched it, I discovered that most of them are chambered in cartridges that use blunt nose bullets like the 30-30, because pointy spitzer bullets have the risk of being set off due to recoil. And... those cartridges are expensive!! That made me decide against one.

Although Henry offers a rifle now that is magazine fed, the long ranger. It is pricey but chambered in .223, 308, 243 and 6.5C it could be a good option.
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

I personally decided to go the cheapest ammo route possible given what we are going through, and got me something in 7.62x39 which is also a good all purpose cartridge and is still CHEAP (even today). I wish the lever action would have been available in this caliber.

Last edited:

chris downs

I like 5whiskey's choices for guns to consider. Buy something that you think is FUN TO SHOOT. That way you will want to shoot it more often.

Pistoler0 said:
I personally decided to go the cheapest ammo route possible given what we are going through, and got me something in 7.62x39 which is also a good all purpose cartridge and is still CHEAP (even today). I wish the lever action would have been available in this caliber.
I wish Zastava still made their "Mini Mauser." Maybe they still do but, if so, I can't find anyone who carries it.

5whiskey

But as I researched it, I discovered that most of them are chambered in cartridges that use blunt nose bullets like the 30-30, because pointy spitzer bullets have the risk of being set off due to recoil. And... those cartridges are expensive!! That made me decide against one.

I know reloading is not for everyone, but those very cartridges are precisely what makes reloading cost effective. In normal times, there’s very little money savings by reloading 9mm, .223, .308, and the other very popular cartridges. Even in normal times, reloading for .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 colt, et al, can save a bunch of money. There is no more material cost to .45 colt as there is to .45acp. It’s the small volume of .45 colt sales that dictate it must have a higher profit margin per round.

I digress. Like I said I know everyone doesn’t have the space, patience, or time to reload. But it sure does open up firearm options.

reubenray

I will be moving in a few weeks closer to my brother who has been doing reloads for years. He informed me that he has over 500 38 special casings for me to reload for my wife's 38 special.

:eek:

lordvader

Youth model 20 gauge. They already come with a short barrel and stock. You also don't have to worry about over penetration. I have and hunt with a Remington 870 20 gauge. Comes with a 21" barrel. I have 12 gauge full size shotguns as well, but that 20 gauge is sweet. Took a doe using buckshot with it. They make good home defense guns, IMO.

reubenray

Youth model 20 gauge. They already come with a short barrel and stock. You also don't have to worry about over penetration. I have and hunt with a Remington 870 20 gauge. Comes with a 21" barrel. I have 12 gauge full size shotguns as well, but that 20 gauge is sweet. Took a doe using buckshot with it. They make good home defense guns, IMO.
My sawed off legal shotgun is a 20 gauge.

Prof Young

My opinion is that there will be no ban . . .

As noted above I do not think there will be anything other than empty rhetoric and maybe a vague attempt to pass a ban on something . . . probably the "modern sporting rifle."

Last time I checked, there were somewhere between 20 and 30 million "modern sporting rifles" in the USA if we count both ARs and AKs. Now imagine our government trying to round all those up and destroy them. It ain't gonna happen.

That doesn't mean we don't have to be vigilant. If you don't belong to a pro-gun group that goes after the anti-gun legislators then you need to find one and join today. I belong to three. Write to your federal and state representatives and congress men/women. Make your voice heard.

If you look at the USA as a whole, the gun laws are in many ways getting better. Wasn't too long ago in Illinois we didn't have concealed carry. Now we do. More and more people are owning guns. I have a mild mannered "school counselor" friend who lives in a big city and just bought his first gun . . . mostly because, according to him, it was a neat gun.

I say be vigilant but fear not.

Life is good.
Prof Young

rc

A Ruger 10/22 is a good SHTF gun to have around especially if you have some extended magazines.

A Ruger Mini 14 or 5.56 bolt gun will give you more reach but do you need it? All depends on where you live.

Even a 30-30 will give you 100 yard Plus capability.

We've been talking about PCC carbines. You may like one in 9 like the Ruger PC.

reddog81

I will be moving in a few weeks closer to my brother who has been doing reloads for years. He informed me that he has over 500 38 special casings for me to reload for my wife's 38 special.

:eek:

That's nice of him. Does he have primers and powder to go with the cases? At this point in time the primers is worth 3x a .38 case:eek:

FWIW 500 rounds is one or two trips to the range for many people on this forum.

reubenray

That's nice of him. Does he have primers and powder to go with the cases? At this point in time the primers is worth 3x a .38 case:eek:

FWIW 500 rounds is one or two trips to the range for many people on this forum.
I guess he does. Back in September he was showing me all the containers he had of reloading stuff. I had no idea what I was looking at.

BourbonCowboy

I think a 9mm PCC would be a nice addition to your collection. You wouldn't have to search for ammo in additional calibers, and they work well for home defense.

Originally, I wanted a Beretta CX4 - but the prices went through the roof. I wanted decent accuracy and high dependability, so I looked at other brands. Eventually, I bought a Hi Point 995TS. Yes, it was ugly as hell, and my friends laughed at me for buying it, but it was as accurate as the Rugers they had and a lot of fun to shoot. Then I added a Hi Tower Armory Bullpup stock and some Red Ball 20-round mags. I didn't tell anyone about it. When I brought it out with my friends, they were drooling over it...but I kept my secret. When I demonstrated the accuracy, I had a few folks wanting to buy it. And then I told them who made it. Hi Point Carbine: $199...Hi Tower Armory stock: $249...Telling your gun-snob friends that the gun they were lusting after was a Hi Point: PRICELESS.

I realize that the finished product cost more than the Ruger carbine - or a lot of other carbines on the market. But the investment was gradual, as I bought the improvements over time. But the coolest thing is that no one owns a more awesome-looking PCC rig...at least not anyone I know.

FunGramps

If you want something that would be a bit less likely to be taken away (and I say a bit), a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30 is similar to an AR, but in a traditional rifle stock. I think the traditional montecarlo furniture (evern more so in wood) makes it a little safer from confiscation, since the antis are fixated on the looks of the AR. They are mag fed, and legal in Comifornia! Here is a picture, doesn't it look "safe"? :D It looks like it could never hurt a peep! If you don't believe me, ask John "Hannibal" from the A Team, who would shoot it profusely but never kill anybody with it:
attachment.php

Other solutions:

although pricier than a regular AR lower, a rifle lower made for AR upper such as Fightlite SCR:
https://www.riflegear.com/p-8298-fightlite-scr-lower-receiver-assembly-monte-carlo.aspx#mz-expanded-view-763282862200
attachment.php

--------------------------------------

or... give up the semi-auto altogether and go to some kind of straight pull AR. These I reckon would be very very difficult to legislate against, and a few examples are:
Troy's industries' straight pull (around $1100):
https://worldoftroy.com/product/troy-16-straight-pull-rifle/
attachment.php

or the straight pull Lantac Raven, which apparently is made to be legal in the UK:
https://www.lannertactical.com/straight-pull-raven-ar15-rifle
attachment.php

I hope this helps, best of luck with your decision!
Yeah, the top photo...Wood and SS Mini-14. My gun. They just run and run. Can't go wrong. Add high-cap mags.

Close stuff...

The highest capacity shotgun you can buy. With plenty of .12 gauge 3" magnum 00 buck.