One more for the "Things like that don't happen here" crowd.

At this point, I'd settle just trading her even for a newer, sleeker Colt XSE 1911!
Can she cook, clean, and not mind sleeping on a cot in the garage? If so, maybe we could work out a trade. :p
...and BTW why not have non-lethal defense. You know fire sprinklers that spray pepper gas and tasers?
That over-all post is a bit odd but the idea of less-than-lethal deterents is worth discussing.

A relative of mine was having trouble with people breacking into his business (a pawn shop). The business was on the ground floor and basement and he lived on the second floor. He had these windows in the back of the building at ground level in the alley that led into the basement. he put bars on the outside and peole brought tools and removed them, he put bars on the inside and people kicked them loose.

He got the crazy idea of electrifying a frame on the inside of the building around both windows with a system we used to use for the cows and horses. One night someone broke in and hit the frame causing him to lose consciousness and fall onto a display case under the window. Apparently the amount of juice needed to shock a human is less that what it takes t shock a horse. The noise alerted my cousin and he went and found the guy unconscious on the floor and called the cops.

Long story short, they arrested the guy for B&E but he later sued my cousin and won a huge settlement that almost caused him to lose his business. The judge said that my he had willfully created an potentially deadly hazzard and the fact that the guy was there illegally was irrelevant to the fact that the electrified window caused him harm. My cousin always said after that he will just shoot the next guy if he catches them.

Last edited:

Socrates

Law has a nasty habit of making it hard to defend your property, unless your in Louisiana. Then the police make it hard, by stealing your guns, and not giving them back...

I read this stuff and I want to throw up. I'm thinking of moving south, and, this puts me in the illegal alien thief area big time.

I've got into the habit of carrying directional stream pepper spray pretty much everywhere I go. It's probably illegal in a few of them.

I carry as often as possible, as well. Working on even a light pocket gun, but, I can't seem to find one really light enough for the situations I would use it.

I've often thought about this, but, I'll bring it up anyway.

I wonder what happens to guys after they are convicted of felonies? How do they make any kind of living, other then continuing as criminals? How can you get a job with felonies, and a long rap sheet? Isn't prison just college for criminals?

I can't help but think these guys figured they had no life, outside was worse then inside. Take a fling, go to jail for the rest of their lives, and figure that they aren't going to get the needle, due to the bleeding heart liberals in the area where they committed the crime.

It's a screwed up system, and I don't have any answers right now, except I wish my cat weighed about 150 pounds. She'd be quite happy eating any intruders...By the way, don't get the impression that I have any mercy for these scumbags: I don't.

Dr S

Bellevance

I can't help but think these guys figured they had no life, outside was worse then inside. Take a fling, go to jail for the rest of their lives, and figure that they aren't going to get the needle, due to the bleeding heart liberals in the area where they committed the crime. It's a screwed up system, and I don't have any answers right now...

It's not the system that's to blame. The system mostly works--for most parolees, halfway-house residents, and even for young first-time guys doing minor time for burglary, assault, drugs, etc., who are sincerely trying to straighten out. First time out of prison, with help, they can all make it if they really want to.

The culture, though, does not permit many avenues for safe re-entry for repeat offenders. Ex-cons are estranged, it's true. In time they can get desperate. They get angry. They turn reckless and hateful. And violent. In their stubborn estrangement from the norms of passable jobs and tolerable marriages, it can seem to them that they have nothing left to lose. But they're wrong.

Nutjobs and psychos abound. If they are socially problematic and after they are identified, they can often be guided, corrected, improved--even rescued. Or medicated. Or confined. When our most generous measures to improve or to contain them aren't enough, however--when they invade our homes or hijack our cars--we have to be ready to defend ourselves from them. Our foresightful Constitution affords us all the possibility of that final readiness. Every citizen must take advantage of it.

Last edited:

Alleykat

Connecticut does have the death penalty; however, even in a case this heinous, New Englanders generally don't have the stomach to actually carry out capital punishment. These lowlifes will probably outlive Dr. Petit.

Rx for Dr. Petit: (1) Dog(s); (2) Burglar alarm; (3) firearm.

Socrates

Well, the FBI says in a major city, your odds are 1 in 17-21 of being the victim of a violent crime, EACH YEAR.

I don't like those odds.

However, if I have to use my carry gun, it will change my life forever.

Dr S

Manedwolf

Connecticut does have the death penalty; however, even in a case this heinous, New Englanders generally don't have the stomach to actually carry out capital punishment. These lowlifes will probably outlive Dr. Petit.

No, the guy who killed the Manchester, NH bike officer with a shot to the head is likely going to be executed.

Everyone here, everyone I know wants him dead, but slime from MA is defending him and saying that he'd get a "racist" (!) trial in NH.

At his arraignment hearing, there were fifty officers standing silently in the courtroom with black tape over their badges. I think public sentiment is pretty clear, that he's a lowlife thug sociopath and needs to die.

NH is different.

Wildalaska

NH is different.

Based on those rantings, I guess it is. :barf:

WildfolksmustbetooviolentthereAlaska

Here for lurkers I rewrote it for you, folks who own guns would never sound like the above

"Everyone here, everyone I know would be satisfied with the imposition of the death sentence upon conviction, even though his attorney from MA is defending him, as he is obligated to do under the law, and now alleging that the Defendant would be unable to get he'd get a fair trial in NH.

At his arraignment hearing, there were fifty officers standing silently in the courtroom with black tape over their badges. I think public sentiment is pretty clear, that in the event of conviction, the death penalty would be appropriate.

Rogueone

here's an article I found today that gives some more details on this, and it also sounds like the death penalty will be asked for. Too bad it takes years and millions of dollars to fry these guys.
http://www.examiner.com/a-849293~Death_Penalty_Sought_in_Conn__Killings.html

What's unfortunate is we are not allowed to apply the death penalty to them in the same manner they did to this family. From the article, it seems the daughters died of smoke inhalation, which implies they were awake and aware of their pending deaths. I'd love it if these two were burned at the stake like the old days, it's be fitting. Too bad that's not an option.

:(

Bud Helms

Welcome to TFL

Welcome to TFL, drpoundsign.

We stay pretty much on the straight and narrow here on TFL. We have some fun, but never at another's expense.

You'll notice the off-topic and otherwise questionable portion of your post has been edited.

You'll notice the off-topic and otherwise questionable portion of your post has been edited.
Great..now my post seems silly and makes me sound like a weirdo because noone can read the part of his post I was referring to in my post. :p ;)

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
From the link Rogueone gave:
Komisarjevsky is a member of a prominent family in the stage arts. He is the grandson of Theodore Komisarjevsky, a Russian theater director and designer, and Ernestine Stodelle, a former dancer, dance critic, author and studio director.

"It was a monstrous, deranged act, beyond comprehension," his family said in a statement released Thursday.

"We cannot and will not condone anything the accused have done. Justice needs to take place," the family said. "We can add nothing more - simply to repeat how tragic this is and how much our thoughts and prayers go out to the Petit family and friends."
Good to hear the family members of one of the perpetrators say such things. Sounds like a stand up family that knows their kid went wrong.

Gunz

After a year of investigation, something this extremely violent may be uncovered with many more layers of truth.

Something like this sounds like a targeted retaliation towards the husband or some other member of that family.

Those parolees were tools for a larger agenda. This is the stuff you read about mafia hits. the parolees will be processed, convicted, maybe sentened to death, and things quiet down.

The way the women in the household were brutalized, it seems too planned. An affluent neighborhood like that with upper-social economic level residents mean that sources scoped the family out.

It is a horribly tragic event. Regardless of security systems, firearms, and any sense of self-defense alertness, this was a terrorized hit.

Alleykat

I believe we'll find that Occam's Razor, not John Birch's Razor, will prevail in this case. It's probably just what it appears to be.

Doggieman

I must admit I have some underlying thoughts about "hidden" agendas regarding this case too.

It's probably just my overactive imagination, but to me there seems to be something fishy about it.

I must admit I have some underlying thoughts about "hidden" agendas regarding this case too.

It's probably just my overactive imagination, but to me there seems to be something fishy about it.
I do the exact same thing. I was an investigator of sorts in the military and I just naturally am skeptical when something this unlikely happens.

Scenerios like this are almost unheard of and when they do happen there is usually an untold story. I get especially skeptical when one of the people involved is a profession in the medical industry.

Unlikely things do happen but they are very, very rare and being suspicious is usually just good thinking.

Alleykat

"Situations" like that happen all the time. Where have you guys been? There's nothing notable about what those scumbags did, except that they did it to a well-known doctor's family in a very "high-class" neighborhood in CT, where such crimes are rare.

"Underlying issues?" Horsecrap! The only underlying issues are lowlife felons doing what lowlife felons do.

Glenn E. Meyer

Great..now my post seems silly and makes me sound like a weirdo because noone can read the part of his post I was referring to in my post

Don't worry, we have plenty of other reasons to think you are a weirdo. Many :D:D