One more for the "Things like that don't happen here" crowd.

Kreyzhorse

Interesting side....

My wife works with a lot of anti-gun police officers and often comes home spouting their views, often such pearls of wisdom like "you don't need a gun, the police will protect us." and "The police say you don't need a CCW, you'll just get yourself hurt."

I hunt, have several guns and my CCW. I'm believe that protect is in your own hands.

When news of this murder broke, I remarked off hand that obviously the family didn't have a gun in the house.

My wife looked at me, straight faced and said, "Like a gun would have helped, all it would have done was make things worse."

I looked at her like she had three heads. "My god, how could having a gun made it worse when all of the family was killed except the husband? I might have died either way, but at least I would have died with a fight. Looks like your police did a great job protecting them."

With that, she huffed and walked out of the room.

If my own wife felt that a gun would have been useless to the family, I have to wonder how many others feel the same way.

Society (and a lot of police officers) are all about enabling people to be victims. The police are not here to protect you.

It's a crazy world.

"you don't need a gun, the police will protect us."
Yes, just like they stop each and every one of the reckless drivers that speed past me every day on the highway.

Cops cannot be everywhere and criminals know that and take advantage.

Always be ready to take care of yourself.

Mainah

I realize that most people here, maybe everyone, knows more about tactical thinking than I ever will. But the second guessing about this tragedy kind of bugs me.

This man and his wife were leaders in their community, they raised a couple of outstanding young women. According to every description that I've read they enriched their community in many ways.

They just didn't see it coming. It was the middle of a typical morning, everyone rushing to get ready for school and work. This poor guy didn't respond to a doorbell in the middle of the night. Given the extent of his civic service a knock on the door in the morning was probably pretty normal.

Mainah

I do not think the people here are passing judgement on the victims or their actions.

I think people are just experessing their own reluctance to be in this position without some way to defend themselves.

They are running this scenerio in their heads and saying "this is how it might be different for me."

Bellevance

the second guessing about this tragedy kind of bugs me...

It was the middle of a typical morning, everyone rushing to get ready for school and work. This poor guy didn't respond to a doorbell in the middle of the night. Given the extent of his civic service a knock on the door in the morning was probably pretty normal.

I don't think the posts in this thread contain a lot of second-guessing, Mainah. Most of us are just anguishing over the outrage of this kind of extreme violence--and putting ourselves in the doctor's place.

Anyway, no one was rushing around the house. It was 3 AM. The two guys entered, unarmed, through an unsecured bulkhead (basement) door. The homeowner apparently heard them and went to confront them--but in the meantime no one called 911. (Maybe he was carrying a baseball bat--which might have been all he had--and if he did have a bat, then it was taken from him and used viciously against him. These guys got a bat from somewhere.)

The point is that homeowners need to be able to protect themselves, because in many instances the police (who, yes, ARE here to protect us), won't be able to respond in time. To say that good people need to be armed and able to defend themselves in today's world is not to second-guess this situation; it is to acknowledge this situation's undeniable lesson.

Last edited:

Doggieman

They just didn't see it coming.

Exactly. That's the problem.

I'm not saying they're stupid or wrong or silly or whatever that they didn't see it coming. But let's face it, the problem was THAT they didn't see it coming.

I hope each and every one of us WILL BE ABLE to see it coming when it does come.

ZeSpectre

My wife looked at me, straight faced and said, "Like a gun would have helped, all it would have done was make things worse."

I got the same line in a discussion about the murders at Virginia Tech. My response was the same... WORSE? Look at what happened and tell me how it could have gotten any worse!

Stuff like this about makes me paranoid right now as we just moved into a new place and I haven't had -any- time to harden it up yet other than "pinning" the windows so they can't be opened more than a couple of inches. :(

Bellevance

I'm not saying they're stupid or wrong or silly or whatever that they didn't see it coming. But let's face it, the problem was THAT they didn't see it coming.

No. The problem was that they weren't prepared for what they COULD NOT have seen coming. Home defense is about being ready to deal with urgent surprises--with or without forewarning.

Musketeer

House set on fire, at least one rape, three murders, one other person beaten severly and left for dead... exactly what would have been worse?

Bellevance

Right, Musketeer. In this particular instance, sadly, it seems beyond argument that a gun in the hands of the homeowner would likely have made all the difference between two shot-up intruders and the awful tragedy that actually occurred.

Rogueone

This thread needs to be saved for posterity. I need to have this for my girls to read in a couple of years when they are old enough to grasp it. And I want me wife to read this for sure, so she better understands why I started carrying a gun everyday, and hopefully she'll express an interest in at least learning how to use the shotgun.

YounGun24

"you don't need a gun, the police will protect us."

wow, if that was my wife, and she ever woke me up saying "someone's breaking into our house, get your gun!" I probably would just mumble, "don't worry the police will protect you." and then rolled over and gone back to bed. j/k.

Bellevance

From today's NY Times:

Cops: Man, 93, Shoots Violent Robber

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 27, 2007

Filed at 2:33 p.m. ET

EL DORADO, Ark. (AP) -- An elderly man beaten unconscious by an assailant wielding a soda can awoke and shot the man during an attempted robbery, police said.

Willie Lee Hill, 93, told police he saw the robber while in his bedroom Wednesday night. Hill confronted the man and was struck at least 50 times, police said. He was knocked unconscious.

Covered in blood, Hill regained consciousness a short time later and pulled a .38-caliber handgun on his attacker. Williams saw the gun and charged the man, who fired a bullet that struck Williams in the throat, police said.

''I got what I deserved,'' the suspect, Douglas B. Williams Jr., 24, told police when they arrived, officers said. Investigators reported finding, among other items, a Craftsman drill bit set, three pocket knives and two hearing aids inside his pockets.

Paramedics took Hill and Williams to the Medical Center of South Arkansas for treatment. Doctors sent Williams to the Louisiana State University Medical Center at Shreveport, where he was listed in critical condition Friday.

Employees at the Medical Center of South Arkansas refused to give Hill's condition or say if he'd been discharged from the hospital Friday, citing medical privacy laws.

Police plan to charge Williams with residential burglary, second-degree battery, theft of property and theft by receiving.

Kreyzhorse

wow, if that was my wife, and she ever woke me up saying "someone's breaking into our house, get your gun!" I probably would just mumble, "don't worry the police will protect you." and then rolled over and gone back to bed.

Oddly enough, I get that. Smack, "I heard a noise, go check it out."

The last time I got smacked at 3am, I grabbed the Glock 22 and did my best stealth mode house sweep. The next morning my wife acutally said "You took a LOADED GUN with you last night?"

I said "You wake me up, assure me that some one is breaking into the house and then bitch that I take a gun with me to check it out? What the hell did you expect me to take, my wallet, your purse and the freaking keys to my truck and say here goes, don't want you to trouble searching the house, its all right here?"

I'm telling you, she listens to the "cops" and buys into the **** they are selling.

Hate to say it, but this is the same women who stated once we got married "You WILL NOT keep a loaded gun in this house." I told her "I've kept a loaded gun long before you were in the picture and I'll have a loaded gun looooooonnnnnggggg after you're gone."

That ended the discussion but now that she works with "highly skilled and trained" police officers all of a sudden she is the "expert" on all things "gun."

drpoundsign

Jennifer was a Foxy woman!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .......

...and BTW why not have non-lethal defense. You know fire sprinklers that spray pepper gas and tasers?

getting caught for guys like that is WORSE than dying. theyll never get out now

Last edited by a moderator: